Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine just bought a henry (very fancy one) in the 22magnum. i told him that was probably a poor choice as the ammo is expensive and you can't reload.
my question today is can he shoot 22 lr in this gun?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I was hoping that you aren't serious with this question but I will just say that I totally agree with Neon!!!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The only bad question is the one that you didn't ask. When it comes to guns, always ask for the sake of safety. Our forum is about helping.

Shooting a 22 LR is a 22 mag gun won't blow up the gun, but it is still a safety issue. The 22 LR case is slightly smaller in diameter than a 22 mag case. This often causes the 22 LR case to rupture when shot in the larger 22 mag chamber. This can direct hot gases and debris to the rear, towards the shooter, rather than out the barrel. Ruptured cases are also difficult to extract, so you may lock up the gun. Lastly, accuracy is going to be miserable.

In other words, no, don't do it.

The 22 mag is a great cartridge in it's own right, though. Yes, it is expensive, but it can do some things better than the 22 LR.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The only bad question is the one that you didn't ask. When it comes to guns, always ask for the sake of safety. Our forum is about helping.

Shooting a 22 LR is a 22 mag gun won't blow up the gun, but it is still a safety issue. The 22 LR case is slightly smaller in diameter than a 22 mag case. This often causes the 22 LR case to rupture when shot in the larger 22 mag chamber. This can direct hot gases and debris to the rear, towards the shooter, rather than out the barrel. Ruptured cases are also difficult to extract, so you may lock up the gun. Lastly, accuracy is going to be miserable.

The 22 mag is a great cartridge in it's own right, though. Yes, it is expensive, but it can do some things better than the 22 LR.
Exactly. A great answer for a great question!

·
Registered
627 Posts

No such thing as a dumb question. This info is what the OP wanted.
NEVER assume that person asking the question is as knowledgeable as you are.:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
My wife was looking for some 6.8 ammo once for me at a gun shop and someone there suggested to just run 223 in it because such a small difference. Fortunately she didn't take his advice.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
The LR round is enough smaller than the magnum that the case will usually split on firing. The bullet will probably exit the barrel, but not much else. Prices seem to be coming down, so maybe your friend could start watching for sales. I agree with you that if he's going to shoot a lot he might have been better off with the long rifle version.

The Henry is a fine rifle, though, and I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ammo can be found if you keep your eyes open. I have found it everywhere from WalMart, Gander Mountain, and Cabelas. You just have to be prepared to buy a couple hundred rounds when you get the chance.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Like others have said; NO.

In the long run, if you could have it would have said so on the barrel.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yup - the 22LR case is too small for the 22WMR chamber. Case ruptures can happen, and can do a few bad things to your rifle, and to your eyes. Think about the torching that can happen when a case ruptures in the chamber - is that really something you want to have happening in your chambers?

My bro in law learned that one the hard way. He had a case rupture that blew the magazine out of the bottom of his 10/22 Mag, didn't hurt him, but it did a bit of damage to his rifle.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,041 Posts
Big Ol Boy, Maybe the OP got too much Christmas cheer??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being a lever action , it probably wouldn't cycle thru the action due to COL differences, but I suppose could be single fed into chamber.

Don't fire ammo in any firearm that isn't so marked, or recomended by mfg.

But for purely academic intrest , .22lr doesn't *usually* split in .22WMR chambers, more like 20-25% , the rest with noticable swelling. Individual results will vary with specific chambers & lots of ammo. I'm not going to endorse anyone to do so under any circumstances, but I would never, ever do so from a long gun inherently having the chamber in too close proximity to my head.

I Like .22WMR , but it is probably not a good choice for a primary/ only rimfire rifle. .22WMR remaims probably hardest ammo to find. Most of what I see is Premium " self defense" ammo optimized for snub noses and mini revolvers. Not best choice for rifles, and is priced like super premium centerfire ammo.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
There is one other reason to not try the .22 LR in the .22 magnum the rifle will probably not function as the LR is short enough that the elevator mechanism will probably jam.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
thank you for all the comments. i told him before buying to get 22lr or 223 if available, because i could at least reload them for him.
he has plenty of money so he will just have to bite the bullet as they say.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts