Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my new Single Nine .22mag. Just out of curiosity, why couldn't you shoot 22LR in this gun? And if you can, why did Ruger make a Single Six with both .22LR and Mag cylinders?

Frank.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The .22 WMR cylinder is not suited to firing .22LR; the dimensions of the chambers are incorrect. Neither does Ruger yet make a .22 LR cylinder. It is possible to have a custom pistol smith make you one, but then you will be plagued by poor accuracy because the bore and groove dimensions are incorrect for the .22LR

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The 22 WMR has a larger diameter case and so the chamber is larger. A 22 LR will burst in the WMR chamber, causing all sorts of problems, including DANGER to the shooter and bystanders. DONT DO IT !!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The .22 WMR cylinder is not suited to firing .22LR; the dimensions of the chambers are incorrect. Neither does Ruger yet make a .22 LR cylinder. It is possible to have a custom pistol smith make you one, but then you will be plagued by poor accuracy because the bore and groove dimensions are incorrect for the .22LR
+1

The case on a 22mag is not only longer than a 22 LR, but it also has a larger diameter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the single nine has the same barrel as the single ten and sixes. Poor accuracy? Maybe due to the 22 mag cylinder,but the with a .22lr cylinder, the barrel can shoot very good groups in the right hands. My single six hunter is a very accurate handgun and can outshoot many of my autoloaders despite having the wrong bore and groove dimensions.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Don't do it. You won't be happy......

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 22 magnum bullet is .224 inches in diameter and overall cartridge length is 1.350 inches.
The 22 rimfire (RF) bullet is .222 inches in diameter and overall cartridge length is 1.000 inch.

The bore in the barrel should match the diameter of the bullet.
Therefore the bore of the 22 magnum should be .224 inches and the bore of the 22 RF should be .222 inches.

These two measurements are so close that a bore measuring .223 inches is a satisfactory compromise and will fire either bullet with reasonable accuracy.

You will also note the cartridges are different lengths as well as different diameters.
But a revolver with a .223 inch bore and 2 cylinders, 1 bored for the 22 RF and the other bored for the 22 Magnum can both be fired through the .223 barrel.

Generally, a slight loss of accuracy will be evident (regardless which cylinder and cartridge is in use) when compared to a 22 RF with a .222 bore or a 22 magnum with a .224 bore.
However, I have occasionally seen an interchangeable cylinder revolver show exceptional accuracy with one or the other cartridge. This would seem to indicate the bore is actually closer to that particular bullet diameter.

An attempt to shoot a 22 magnum bullet (at .224 inches dia.) in a 22 RF firearm in which the bore is .222 should never be attempted! Hopefully, the shorter chamber of the .22 RF will preclude the firing.

And a 22 RF bullet (at .222 inches dia,) fired in a 22 Magnum firearm should prove to be inaccurate. The Chamber will be over sized as well and the RF cartridge will swell and/or burst. Not a safe situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts