Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm going to pick up another 22 revolver and I'm wondering about thoughts on the SP101. I've read reviews that say they're good and durable, but I'm hearing some nightmares about the trigger pull. It looks like most of the reviews are from around 2012, but as I understand it an update was made around 2015 and I haven't read too much about that. If anybody can give me the scoop I'd appreciate it.

·
Exchequer
4,503 Posts
Hey Greg. Welcome to the forum.

I can't weigh in on the trigger of the SP in 22lr, but you're right, the SP is a durable revolver. Others will be along to let you know their first-hand thoughts on the trigger.

If it is just for plinking, the new(ish) Wrangler has been getting a lot of love since it came out. Don't know how you feel about single action, but ....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Greg. Welcome to the forum.

I can't weigh in on the trigger of the SP in 22lr, but you're right, the SP is a durable revolver. Others will be along to let you know their first-hand thoughts on the trigger.

If it is just for plinking, the new(ish) Wrangler has been getting a lot of love since it came out. Don't know how you feel about single action, but ....
It's going to be a plinker and may occasionally be used for some critters that refuse to leave the garden alone.

Ya know I forget that I actually did have a Single Six some years back. It was a good shooter but I just never really was a fan of the loading and unloading process. I think I'm gravitating more to a double/single action model with the swing out cylinder.

I've had a zillion 22 autoloaders over the years. Various Mk III and Mk IV models and a Browning Buckmark or two thrown in the mix along the way. A few months back I picked up a used 3 inch S&W model 63 and the first time I took it to the range I really liked it. It's making me appreciate wheel guns. No magazines to futz around with (or extras to buy) no worrying if ammo has enough oomph to cycle the action and speaking of that anything from cbs to lr's work.

Now I want another one so the GF can shoot too if she comes along. And just to have another for myself. I looked at the GP100s and the S&W 617 but they just seem awfully big so I'm not sure about them. The SP101 seems like it's sized right.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have one and out of the box the trigger was terrible. I put lighter springs in it and did some smoothing, and the trigger is just acceptable. Forget about double action. In single action, the hammer pull is quite stiff. Mine is an 8 shot model. I have heard the older 6 shot models were better, but I don’t have any experience with one. They are solid. I don’t think you will ever wear one out.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The Ruger SP101, S&W 63 and Taurus 94 among others will have a relatively heavy trigger pull, especially in double action. The small revolvers do not have the leverage in the action that the medium frames such as GP100, 17, 18 and 617 do. Secondly, being rimfire they require a heavier hammer fall than an centerfire cartridge. I think if you do a search on this board on tuning the SP101 you will find a fair amount of reading on the subject. As Wheelguns notes the older SP101 6 shot models supposedly could be made a bit lighter than the newer 8 shot models. Why that is the case I do not know but it would be interesting to find out. Perhaps Iowegan can offer some insights.

·
Super Moderator
21,275 Posts
You can pretty easily smooth out the trigger on an SP. With the spring weight for the rimfire rounds it may still be a heavy trigger but if it is smooth then just a little more finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. It's amazing what a change of springs can do, along with a little polishing. I've learned this over the years with my Berettas.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, to stay with the wheel gun theme. I love my 3” .357 Magnum SP101 and have myself considered getting a 22 LR SP101. However I just can not do it because my Mark II fills the bill too well. Can’t count the squirrels and rabbits that have been harvested with it, not to mention the number of targets and plinking stuff it has been shot at. (I remember back to an S&W Model 19 that I had. It was a great handgun. However, IMHO, the MK II is all one needs in a 22 LR.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, to stay with the wheel gun theme. I love my 3” .357 Magnum SP101 and have myself considered getting a 22 LR SP101. However I just can not do it because my Mark II fills the bill too well. Can’t count the squires and rabbits that have been harvested with it, not to mention the number of targets and plinking stuff it sad shot at. (I remember back to an S&W Model 19 that I had. It was a great handgun. However, IMHO, the MK II is all one needs in a 22 LR.)
I am ashamed to think about how many MK series pistols I've had over the years! I seem to always buy them and start tinkering and doing upgrades. And then something else catches my eye and I'm back to step one!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Shot one at a range some years ago and have always wanted one, but it's not on the top of my list. The one I handled was the 8 rounder with 4" barrel and fiber optic front sight. It was a solid revolver, felt great in the hands, and accurate. I would not worry about the trigger pull. Every revolver chambered in rimfire will have a much heavier trigger when compared to their centerfire versions. Don't mess with the internal springs. The reason these revolvers have a heavier spring is because rimfire is known to misfire with lighter springs. Ruger knows what they're doing and the trigger is fine. Unless you're a weakling or a wimp, you won't notice it's heavier while shooting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'm sure at the shop they feel crazy but when you're actually out shooting you don't notice it as much.

Now I've got myself off in another direction tonight looking at old S&W model 18s from the 60s-80s. 🤪 Pricey but nice I hear, and only 6 shots.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You might want to also consider the GP100 in 22lr. I have seen them priced almost the same or close to the SP101 version and you get an extra two rounds in the cylinder.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought an Sp101 22lr a couple years ago. I cleaned it prior to taking it to the range but I still had a hard time ejecting some of the spent cases. I thoroughly cleaned it and the next time I brought it out it worked perfectly. Too heavy a DA trigger pull? Really? That seems a rather silly 'problem' when you're talking about a smallish DA/SA revolver. I'm glad I have the Sp101 in 22lr and find it gets a decent workout when I go to the range. I recently added a GP100 in 22lr and love that as well. I haven't used my MarkII's much since getting the SPand the GP in 22lr.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the older 6 shot. it has had trigger work done, polish & springs. it is accurate & fun to shoot. I have to clean it more than other revolvers that I have or cylinder will bind & ejection will be harder.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
I had one of the 8 shot models. The trigger was heavy but not absurdly so. I don't think my arthritic mom could have used it though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had one of the 8 shot models. The trigger was heavy but not absurdly so. I don't think my arthritic mom could have used it though.
You nailed it! Those of us with reduced hand strength, from age and/or arthritis simply cannot pull the trigger of most revolvers, and when it comes to .22 - forget it! a few years ago, when I had more hand strength than I do now, I briefly had an LCR .22lr and wound up sending it back to Ruger who told me the trigger pull weight was within factory specs. It was way heavier than the trigger gauge I had at the time but I figured it was between 12 and 14 pounds. It got traded for a gun I could shoot!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
10 shots is better than 8. But consider the extra weight especially if you are buying the gun for a smaller or female shooter. My first 22 is a MKIII 5" Target model with the Bull Barrel and it weighs about 42 oz, so only 3 oz lighter than my 44 Mag Alaskan. I am fine with the weight but people like my 70 year old mother have troubles holding up the 42 oz MKIII for any serious length of range time. An SR22 weighing in at 17 oz is much more up her alley.

My SP101 22 does have a heavy trigger pull but it is a great DA trainer that you can shoot cheap ammo through all while perfecting your DA trigger pull.
Good point. 10 shots would be nice.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
"Now I've got myself off in another direction tonight looking at old S&W model 18s from the 60s-80s. 🤪 Pricey but nice I hear, and only 6 shots. "

They are nice. Bought one back around 1985 that I have. It has been tuned and fiddled with and the double action is down around 8.5 lbs without misfires on most ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm going to pick up another 22 revolver and I'm wondering about thoughts on the SP101. I've read reviews that say they're good and durable, but I'm hearing some nightmares about the trigger pull. It looks like most of the reviews are from around 2012, but as I understand it an update was made around 2015 and I haven't read too much about that. If anybody can give me the scoop I'd appreciate it.
I picked up a pair of 4" one in .22 and the other a 357 mag. I am not impressed with the triggers on either.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts