Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I picked up a pair of 4" one in .22 and the other a 357 mag. I am not impressed with the triggers on either.

The shop had a couple of the 22s. They let me handle both of them and I just... blah.

I ended up stepping in the way-back machine and found a 1970s S&W 18-3. It'll be a few new addition to the collection. I can always pick up another current production gun later.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Congratulations! You did good! You will not get tired of that one. Excellent choice!

·
Registered
843 Posts
You'll love it. Out of the box, the S&Ws have the best trigger pull. I have 3. My K19 Combat Master Piece was made in 1962, and owned and used by 2 POs. I shot it a bit and it was worn out and was spitting lead, trigger was great. It was rebuilt by S&W, new cylinder, and all the lock work, re-blued. I feared the trigger was gonna need a break in, but nope, it was as smooth as silk.
I have two K frame 22's, one slightly used, other I bought brand new in the box, both are fantastic triggers... just like the Combat Master Piece.
I have two Rugers, 100 and 101 in 357. I have an LCR 38, and love them, but the triggers cant compare. The LCR trigger is very good out of the box... but the S&Ws still better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the Taurus 942 in matte stainless. A 22 revolver built on a 38 +P frame (the proven 856).
I recently purchased the 942 in 22 WMR. Built like a tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i will be getting my sp back from ruger monday. right out of the box it had an overtighted barrel. i sent it in a couple of weeks ago. i hope they fixed it... trigger, not so bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got an SP101 and a GP100, both in .357 Magnum and both with heavy triggers. I just installed a 9-lb Wilson Combat hammer spring in the GP100 and it's much better.
I suggest buy the revolver and a spring kit, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Mcarbo trigger kit and following polishing tutorial will help with those triggers. It has worked on my service six, security six and sp101 357's. Not sure about the 22lr regarding hammer spring weight regarding primer strikes. Still the polishing portion will help.

One I the most detailed and thorough tutorials I have seen. Makes things a no brainer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
silverback is spot on.
I have a couple of older s&w k22 guns - love 'em.
but no way will I hang one on my hip when i'm out in the bush or fishing!!
I have a 4" 1st gen with a replacement (lighter) trigger spring and action job - the single action is "right now" while double action is still a bit heavy (factory mainspring) - everything goes bang.
those sp101 guns are little tanks - get one now and give it to your grandson years from now...

·
Registered
34 Posts
With any .22 or .22 mag revolver I find that you have to keep it clean while your shooting it.
I have to do that with my S&W 650 and 651.
.22 ammo is dirty. Make sure area is clean under the extractor.
I think it's a great looking revolver. If you buy it don't forget to post a range report.
pix346420898.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The triggers on the .22 LR SP101's I've tried were so god awful, I refuse to buy one/any.

I'll stick to my S&W Md. 17's, 617's, and 63's, which have MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better triggers (IMHO) then the god awful trigger on the .22 LR SP101's.

For Ruger .22 LR's, I'll stick to my Mk. II's, Mk. IV's, and my Single Six.

Not a chance I'd buy a Ruger Double Action .22 LR revolver (have I mentioned the triggers, they're god awful).

Just my thoughts and experience.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've got an SP101 and a GP100, both in .357 Magnum and both with heavy triggers. I just installed a 9-lb Wilson Combat hammer spring in the GP100 and it's much better.
I suggest buy the revolver and a spring kit, you won't regret it.
The Wolff reduced power springs for the 22 cal. SP 101s produced after 2011 are 13, 14, 15#. Factory spring is 16#. Judging by my SP101 357 DAO trigger prior to installing a 10# spring, I'd choose a different gun for 22 cal. My SP 357 trigger is much better now but the SP 22 cal rim fire is a different animal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I get the impression that RWT1405 really does not like the SP101 .22lr trigger. Anyone else get that impression?
It could be that he just has trouble finding the right words to express his extreme satisfaction.

For what it's worth I have an SP101 in 22LR and a GP100MC in 357. Both are running stock springs and both had a good bit of polishing on the internals. DA and SA pulls are very smooth and crisp on both.
The GP100 pulls are 9lb 2oz and 2lb 15oz.
The SP101 pulls are 10lb 7oz and 3lb 1oz.
They are both fun and I enjoy both immensely. I usually shoot these revolvers DA if that means anything.
And lastly, of those two I find that I shoot the MkIII target best. 😀

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm going to pick up another 22 revolver and I'm wondering about thoughts on the SP101. I've read reviews that say they're good and durable, but I'm hearing some nightmares about the trigger pull. It looks like most of the reviews are from around 2012, but as I understand it an update was made around 2015 and I haven't read too much about that. If anybody can give me the scoop I'd appreciate it.
Another option might be the LCRX-22lr with a 3” barrel. It is an 8-shot model. Like the SP and most others, it has a heavy DA trigger pull for the rimfire, but SA is not too bad, and the gun is much lighter than the SP. I have one of them, and I seem to shoot it more than my MKIV 22/45 or my SR22.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice grab on the S&W 18
I have the Gen 1, SP101 Half Lug in .22wmr & 22lr
And my Wife has a Gen 2, SP101 in .22lr
As with most Ruger Revolvers, they are built like a Tank
They both have a nice, smooth Double Action Trigger Pull
I installed the Wolff "Shooters Pak" in them .... but sorry; could begin to say which Hammer Spring ended-up in what Rivolver
Both Double Action Triggers are still above the max on my RCBS Analog Gauge
But in Single Action; Her's has a nice 3.5 lb, and mine is a tad more at 3.75, both with zero creep and a crisp Break

My Gen 1:

Her Gen 2 with Star Range Block and Speed Loaders:

I get the impression that RWT1405 really does not like the SP101 .22lr trigger. Anyone else get that impression?
Ya Think ? ! ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm going to pick up another 22 revolver and I'm wondering about thoughts on the SP101. I've read reviews that say they're good and durable, but I'm hearing some nightmares about the trigger pull. It looks like most of the reviews are from around 2012, but as I understand it an update was made around 2015 and I haven't read too much about that. If anybody can give me the scoop I'd appreciate it.
Go to YouTube and have a look at the SP101 "trigger job" videos. One of them includes an image of a couple of .357s and one .22 (look for three SP101s on the table). In that video the guy says the trigger pulls on ALL SP101s are pretty awful, near 14 pounds. When he talks about the .22, he specifically recommends that you DO NOT use a spring that is less than a 12 pound pull. That is because a .22 requires a solid smack for it to fire.

There is a really good review of that particular SP by HICKOK45 where he shoots .22LRs and .22 shorts (!) which he says have so small a charge that he really doesn't need ear plugs...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
When he talks about the .22, he specifically recommends that you DO NOT use a spring that is less than a 12 pound pull. That is because a .22 requires a solid smack for it to fire.
I've installed Wolf Springs in all of the family SP101's, and my GP100. The kits come with a wide range of spring weights, and you need to consider the effects. Reducing the hammer spring weight to much = misfires, reducing the trigger spring weight too much cuts trigger recovery time to the point that DA function can be a problem.

To get the most from your spring kit, and there are several out there, take the time to polish the internal parts and channels. They are all plagued with rough spots and burrs which rob energy for the hammer, and slow trigger recovery in DA operation. Most of the unsatisfactory feel comes from the finish on the internals, and even the stock springs feel better when the working surfaces are cleaned up. Will it feel like a Colt Diamondback, or a factory tuned S&W? Not likely, but it is a robust design that most shooters can improve in a modestly equipped basement shop, and they shoot just fine when you get used to the trigger cycle. Heavy or not.

Although not a trigger part, I swapped out the OEM grips for Pachmyar Diamond Pro's. The extra width and contour feels better in hand, and makes trigger control quite a bit easier.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts