Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a double action 22lr revolver and have my eye on the SP101.

The newer models are eight round and the older are six.

Does the eight round perform as well as the older six round?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Cant help on the older SP101-22 but my new 8 shot is a wonderful revolver. Its very accurate. Its a beautiful gun, fit and finish is perfect. I have had a few issues with extraction, sometimes the ejection rod feels like its jammed, but a light rap with my plastic hammer on the end of the rod, frees things up. It may just be a couple empty cases are stuck in the cylinder. This does happen from time to time with rimfire. My barrel is slightly canted, making the rear sight to have to be adjusted off center slightly, but its not a big deal. It will shoot all 8 shots into 2" at 25 yards rested. The trigger was pretty heavy in Double Action when I got it. I experimented with reduced power Wolff springs, and couldnt get 100% reliability with any of the lighter mainsprings. I eventually went back to the original rimfire mainspring, but used the Wolff 8# trigger return spring. This helped alot, and I now have maybe 2000 rounds through my SP101-22 and the trigger is much better. If you have your eye on a SP101-22, dont wait too long to buy it. They are hard to find, and dont last long in the gun shops.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I am partial to the older six shot SP101 .22 but, the new model does have the advantage of the fully adjustable rear sight and the eight shot cylinder(Not important to me). Following are some pictures of my older SP101 .22 that I purchased new in 1996-which has the half lug barrel shroud:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
There never were a lot of the old 6 shot SP101 22LRs around, so, as hard as it is to find the new one, it may be even harder to find the old one.

The biggest difference, if this old memory is correct (always questionable) are the sights. I actually looked at one of the old ones at a gun store and passed on it because of the sights - very minimal, something akin to what you still get on the 327 SP101. The new version has MUCH better sights, fully adjustable with a hi-viz front, same sights you get on the new 4" 357 SP.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have the older model six shot with the 4 inch barrel, it is heavy but that eliminates the small recoil of the .22. It is real accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I do not know about the newer 8 shot models but I would be willing to bet they are the same way. My LGS keeps a new one in stock all the time. but I have never looked at or asked there price.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I have an older 2.5 inch barrel, 6 shot 22LR Sp101, and the newer 8 shot, 4 inch model. For balance and accuracy, the newer 8 shot is hard to beat. Beautiful gun with great sights. Trigger was crap, but I did a trigger job on it, putting a 12 lb. hammer spring and 10 lb trigger return spring in it and now it's much better. Just had it out shooting this morning and had lots of fun. They are hard to find, so grab one if you get a chance.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I live in MD and they have a handgun roster board that has to approve a new handgun model, so it can take a while. They are now showing up in MD and I grabbed one. I already have a bunch of .22 handguns, but I really like this one. The trigger smoothed up very nicely and it seems to have a pretty smooth bore. It shoots very nicely. I put Trausch grips on mine. I have large hands.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was in Gander last week and they had two. Unfortunately I already have one on order from the LGS at $50 cheaper or I would of picked one up. Now I wonder how long my wait will be?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
They are a great revolver.
Would have bought one myself, only the grip frame is too small for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
have a new 8shot the trigger is crap. I havn't done anything about it as of yet but will HAVE to change out some springs and do a trigger job. Really not impressed out of the box

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went ahead and bought one at Gander at the higher price. I figured I'd rather spend the extra $50 than wait 6 mos or longer. I've put about 200 rounds thru it shooting steels. The SA trigger is extremely light. It caught me napping on the first pull. The DA pull is long but acceptable. It's also slightly gritty but I assume this will smooth out over time. I can hit 8 out of 8 at 20 yards on a 10" plate most of the time. I can hit the 4" at the same distance usually 100% as well. It shoots a tad high but I like the Hiviz sight as it's similar to my Mark III. The grips are too small for my hands and I will pick up some Hogues to remedy this. Overall I really like this little kit gun and may buy a second for the wife and slap some pink hogues on it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I took mine out yesterday and put 100 rds. of CCI Minimag through it. I believe it helps to break-in the bore. It is actually pretty good now and continues to get better. I am very pleased with the accuracy. I put Trausch grips on mine. The factory grips are beautiful, but a bit small for my large hands.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I own a new SP101 22LR. Overall, I like the revolver. I am still working on the double action trigger. The trigger was poor right out of the box brand new. After 400 rounds it is better but still needs work.
Good luck,
Howard

1 - 17 of 17 Posts