Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father in law mentions the other day that he won a Ruger rifle at a Wildlife Action banquet. I asked him what it was and he was not sure... so this weekend I asked to see the rifle. It was a Hawkeye standard walnut/blue .243... I told him that I would like to have the rifle and asked what he would take for it... he says,,, "just take it with you it's yours" he only asked that I not ever sell it and maybe hand it down one day.

So I mounted a Redfield Revolution 4-12X40 scope on it and bought some Hornady Superformance 95 grain SST's and headed off to the range today.

First, the rifle is absolutely beautiful and shoulders very nice. The LC6 trigger is also very nice... just a slight bit of take up, then it breaks crisp at around 3lbs. Once I got the scope adjusted, I shot three, three shot groups at 100 yards. They measured 1 3/8, 1 1/4, and 1 1/4... two of the three groups had two holes touching then a third that wandered off a bit. But I will have to say that there was a bit of a wind today and for some reason I was not holding as well as I normally do... maybe I was a little pumped over the new gun!:)

Anyway,,, thought you guys might like to hear about it... I really love the rifle and the caliber... this is my first .243,,, I think it will be a killer!:cool:

·
Banned
269 Posts
I know a guy who hunts with a .243 with ballistic tips.

he brought it over one day, although I didn't get to shoot it, it reminded me a youth model gun. which would be great for walking around with because it is so light.

I know a lot of people hunt squirrels with youth model .22 rifles.

a .243 is a great deer rifle.

is it a bolt action or semi auto?

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Despite its slopey shoulders and short neck the .243 Win is sort of an American classic and has won some big time competitions and is happily used by multitudes of hunters to take all sorts of game.

Lots of good factory ammo and all sorts of bullets, powders, and brass should you get into hand loading.

I have 2 of them now and have never been without one for the past 52 years.

The Hawkeye, in my opinion, is one of the handiest attractive rifles made.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Despite its slopey shoulders and short neck the .243 Win is sort of an American classic and has won some big time competitions and is happily used by multitudes of hunters to take all sorts of game.

Lots of good factory ammo and all sorts of bullets, powders, and brass should you get into hand loading.

I have 2 of them now and have never been without one for the past 52 years.

The Hawkeye, in my opinion, is one of the handiest attractive rifles made.
The 243 Win is a 308 Win case necked down to take a 6mm bullet. So it is a rather high velocity varmint cartridge that can give 4000 fps with Nosler 55-grain Ballistic Tip bullets. Factory loaded 100 grain bullets can reach close to 3000 fps, which makes it a more than adequate deer round. It's reasonable recoil makes it a find cartridge for a younger person to use when learning to hunt deer.

I have owned two rifles in 243 Win. They were a Winchester Model 100 and a Browning Model 78. If I was not so old and stiff, I would like a Ruger No. 1B in 243 Win. I am afraid my old stiff shoulder can no longer handle even the recoil of .243 Win, so I now stick to .224" and 20 Cal. centerfire varmint and rimfire rounds. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
I recently bought one and have to say it's a beautiful rifle. Mine is left handed. I'm having a little trouble with it but i'll save that for a separate post.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I recently bought one and have to say it's a beautiful rifle. Mine is left handed. I'm having a little trouble with it but i'll save that for a separate post.
Write me a PM. I would be very interested to read what problems you are having. My left handed M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger has given me no problems at all.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I had a M77Mk2 RLS in .243. It dropped coyotes like a bad habit.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Slowshot
I sent you a private message about your rifle rest in the picture.
Cary
Reply sent.

For anyone else interested, the front rest in the picture is an older model of a Sinclair windage adjustable rest with a speed screw and a home made windage adjustment screw extension that allows me to adjust windage with my left hand. The tall stainless steel screw standing up at the rear leg is the speed screw. The stainless steel cable coming down from the top to the rear leg and the piece sticking out to the left side is the home made windage screw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts