Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to this forum, but am the proud owner of my first No .1 rifle. I purchased it yesterday at the Harrisburg Gun show in PA. It is a .243 with the Liberty Mark on the barrel. I have been wanting to get one of these rifles since I was 14, but could never pull the trigger (so to speak). Either that or the caliber was not what I was looking for. So when I came accross this rifle which is in near if not 100% condition in .243, I had to get it. I paid 700 after taxes and background for it. The gun seems to have been worked on as far as having the barrel floated all the way to the action. Also the triger is nice and light, maybe 3lb with no play in it at all. It looks like there is a Hicks Accu kit put in it, but it does not have the external set screw. So I have a couple of questions about it.

First, did I get a decent deal for the rifle?

Second, does the liberty mark make it worth more?

Third, I purchased some factory Ruger rings for it, but they are the high rings. Will they work ok for a 3-9x40, or should I go with the 50mm scope?

Any help with these questions is greatly appreciated. I hope to go shoot it as soon as I get a scope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ssgtmies,

I'm new to the forum as well. That is a beautiful rifle. I don't think you went wrong at all... most of the #1's that I have been seeing on the used racks have been running in that range.

I don't know if the Liberty seal adds any great value... my first one was a 1776 edition 1V in 25-06. Since then I added a 1B in 6mm Rem and a 1MS (I think) in 45-70.

When I was a kid, my dad had a barber shop and I would go with him every Saturday. Used to sit there reading hunting magazines and used to drool over the Ruger #1's. Finally to a point in my life where I can afford one.

This summer, had the 25-06 out and shot patterns off a bi-pod. Then I took it out one day with my front rest, set the rifle so that the rest was directly under the action, the damned thing shot a 3 shot group that can be totally hidden with a dime. I am planning on trying to bed the fore-end myself during the cold winter nights.

I'm currently living up in the Pottsville area, originally from the Wilkes Barre area. What part of PA do you call home?

Best of luck to you with the new rifle.

FWIW... I worked up a load that works great in a couple of my 243's. WW brass, Fed 210 primer, 37.7 Varget under a Sierra 85 grain HPBT game king. That load will shoot into a quarter with an old Mod 70 and into a dime out of a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite and a Rem 7 Preditor.

S/F

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. The forend on my rifle has deff had some work done to it. I can run a dollar all the way to the action. It is not bedded, but it seems to be sturdy, where i should not have an issue resting it on a bag when shooting. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, because I am waiting on a scope. I hope it shoots well, but it does not look like it has been shot much. I believe it is a 1B, but there are no sights on it? the barrel is not a bull barrel, but it seems to be a heavy contour. I was looking for a 1V in 22-250/223/25-06, but could not find one, but I am satisfied with this .243.

I currently living outside of New Cumberland, which is across the river from Harrisburg.

·
Registered
325 Posts
First, yeah, priced about normal.
Second, "Liberty" adds about $50 to value.
Third, "high" rings will accomodate up to 50+mm. "Medium" is for the 40-44mm objectives. You can put a smaller scope on the 50's, it'll work. Just looks kinda odd to me, but that's me.

The "Hick's Accurizer" adjustment is accessed through a 1/8" hole drilled in the recess of the same hole as the forearm screw. Unlike the screw though it is drilled perpandicular to the barrel, not at an angle like the forearm screw. The factory trigger from that time period is adjustable, probably why yours is lighter than they normally are today.

Nice gun BTW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trigger answer makes sinces to me now. There are adjustment screws under that I did not see before. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Well, IMO, unless the gun is MINT, the "liberty" aspect adds nothing. A shooter marked with that is no different than a shooter not marked with it. As for the price, $700 is good. :) Most I see are in the $750-900 range depending on variation/chambering unless it's Cabela's where they price used more than what new cost is.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
Nice #1 also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts