Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an original 1987 Ruger M77 with a Leopold VX2c 2x7 that absolutely loves the old fashioned Winchester Super X 100gr power point rounds. I got this rifle brand new for my 16th B-day and dearly love it. This particular firearm has put more meat on my table than all of my other rifles combined (which includes 2 trophies). Unfortunately with the current situation, reloading supplies are severely limited, and factory ammo cannot be found. I recently lucked up on a box of Hornady Interlock 100gr BTSP and I'm contemplating using IMR-4895 @ 35gr with a C.O.L. of 2.650". The Interlocks have a G1 drag co-efficient and BC of .405(Hornady). Pro-rated FPS from the Hodgdon online calculator is 2805. I have religiously used the 4895 @ 42gr with 180gr Nosler Partitions/E-tips in both of my .308s (Rem 742 Woodmaster Semiauto & Savage Mod10 FCPSR) and I love the accuracy and consistency out to 400 yards with both rifles. Being the .243 is the 'little brother' to the .308, would this load be a good Whitetail/Muley hunting round without sacrificing barrel life in my old(er) M77? I appreciate your input! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I have an original 1987 Ruger M77 Being the .243 is the 'little brother' to the .308, would this load be a good Whitetail/Muley hunting round without sacrificing barrel life in my old(er) M77? I appreciate your input! Thanks!
First welcome to the forum.

I wouldn’t be to concerned with that powder charge for a 100gr bullet , granted it is on the high end but it’s really not an issue for me. Yes the .243 is known to be hard on barrels meaning shorter barrel life, but shot cadence is the real culprit. I’ve been known to load some of my rifle on the hot side, one being my .204. I dump more powder into it than I have bullet weight, about a 4gr difference. It’s not over max but it’ll sling em out at 4450 st muzzle. Needless to say I don’t run em back, to back , to back. More damage has been done to barrels via improper barrel cleaning and shot cadence than anything else.

Any shot at 400yds needs to be well placed regardless of caliber. That said, if you are proficient at that distance I’d take the shot. JMO

·
"The Real Deal"
9,646 Posts
Myself, i like imr4831 in my 243win with a 95 grain tipped matchking. has produced under .750" at 100 but im gonna try marks round when things get back to sonewhat normal.
Really just have to try and see what the gun likes.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Myself, i like imr4831 in my 243win with a 95 grain tipped matchking
I’d stick with the 4831, that’s a time proven powder in the .243. Maybe the 4895 is all he can get his mitts on right now......imagine that. :p

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have an interest in reloading my 243 Savage... but the Redding die set I want is on perpetual back order.

Lyman publishes a number of "most accurate" loads for 243 Win for bullet weights of 70 to 105 grains.

• H4350
• H4831
• IMR 4350
• N160
• Reloder 15
• Reloder 17
• Varget

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Mark204 @Tacky .. I can't get my hands on ANY powder right now up here in the Pacific NW, or online for that matter. I have on-hand maybe 1/2 cup of 4831 and basically even less of 4064, 4451, and 4350. I have PLENTY of 4895 and my thinking was to maybe tone down the charge a bit. Both the Nosler and Hornady reloading books don't show data on the 4895 though. Bottom line is I'm looking for an equivalent load to the old WIN SUPERX. If I had any more 4831 that's what I would be loading with the Interlocks. Thanks!!!

·
"The Real Deal"
9,646 Posts
I can check tomorrow, have 5 manuals if youd like?

I use h4895 in .223 but never in 243.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I’ve got data using IMR4895 and Hornady 100gr BTSP’s and fed match primers.....31.2 min/35.5 max ....2.650 OAL.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
@Mark204 that's the load I was looking at, but tone down the load to 35gr or maybe 34.5gr. Only difference is I have to that is Win primers, and using Win casings (sorry thats what I have).
The original load called for Rem 9 1/2’s, (I think) somewhere along the line we swapped out to the Feds. You may be surprised, sometimes hotter isn’t always better accuracy wise. Every rifle has its own personality.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,646 Posts
@Tacky I would appreciate any tips from other reloading manuals. Im still fairly new to reloading but so far the few loads I have build have performed very well on the range and in the field.
Will do.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
4895 might surprise you if you play with the charge weight enough.
We used it for everything from 60 to 105gr and gophers to elk.
I got my start using it to load .243 back in the late 60's with father breathing down my neck. His loads were a bit hot in my opinion but with a 105gr nozler they dropped even elk regularly.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Just got the Lyman 50th Load Manual so it was here at my desk. Unfortunately they stop listing loads for 4895 at 85 grain bullets so ... no help there.

Bruce

·
"The Real Deal"
9,646 Posts
I went high and low with my 243, up to 107, and the best accuracy was with the 95 sierra tmk. I tried varget, benchmark, then 4831, that was where the best groups appeared.

Reactions: Mark204

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
I went high and low with my 243, up to 107, and the best accuracy was with the 95 sierra tmk. I tried varget, benchmark, then 4831, that was where the best groups appeared.
I don’t think we’ve ever talked about it but do you play with the seating depth much?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don’t think we’ve ever talked about it but do you play with the seating depth much?
@Mark204 No I dont. Please remember I am still fairly new at reloading and I dont want to deviate too much from the standard or semi-performance loads. Others in my family have made me some stupid hot loads (44gr. IMR4831 w/95gr Partitions @ 2.065"COL = 3036fps Nosler, AND 48gr IMR4831 w/80gr Spitz @ 2.635COL = 3344fps Speer).. BUT.. I completely refuse to shoot those loads out of my favorite rifle. My M77 has barely 120 rounds through it over the last 33 years I have owned it (since new) with 10 muleys & whiteys to its credit. I dont wanna 'muck up' one of the nicest firearms I own. I just want a solid and dependable load I can shoot for the next 20-30 years using the Interlocks and be done with it. I do appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm reading and learning, and with y'alls input, I know I can find what I'm looking for. :)

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
My M77 has barely 120 rounds through it over the last 33 years I have owned it (since new)
Seriously? That’s amazing almost to the side that I don’t believe you..........but I do. You have plenty years of life left in that barrel. (y)

Post a pic, I’d really like to see your .243.

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
9,646 Posts
Yes i do, a little bit, closer to the riflings but but not touching. Less jump, more accuracy. I also start at the bottom of the loading scale 5 rounds each .5 powder charge to the max. I shoot a few fouling rounds, then shoot for accuracy. Sometimes you will see it get better, get worse get better again. Sometines a powder change is needed. Perfect example my 50 i load for. It does not like us869. First pic. 200 yards i would get flyers. 24" target

Switched to H50bmg same bullet,

here is the result. 1.750" 200 yards 6 shots. 12" target.

So dont be afraid to try different powders, different bullet combinations.

I find a combination that the firearm likes, then mass reload it for that gun. Sometimes i get lucky and have great luck with several firearms of the same caliber.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.