Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite rifles is a Model 77, Ultra-light in 257 Roberts, it has a 2-7 Leupold scope on it. I like light rifles for woods work and this one is ideal.

I keep thinking about a fixed power scope, but the 207 does a really nice job, so I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Besides, I really want a No 1, so other purchases will have to wait..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Had a roberts years ago in a remington, wish i still had it.
Do have a ruger 77rsi in 250 savage though with a 4x scope and a 308 77 mkIIrsi with 4x scope. My daughter has laid claim to the .250 savage.
The rsi line is just plain sweet for an all around rifle!
I have though been tempted by the ultra-lites but like you, i want a No. 1 but funds are limited.
Can't help but to think about a No.1 rsi .270 to go with the 77's.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Had one once in a Weatherby...beautiful rifle. Now I find the .25-06 as really popular for a flat shooting antelope rifle. So many good calibers out there, it is impossible to have them all.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I had a M-77 standard in the Roberts a few years ago and liked it,kinda wish I still had it as it really knocked the snot out of groundhogs.:D

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
lord I have a 25-06 in a bull barrel M77. I have 250 savage in a Remington classic 700. I have 2 243's one in Browning and the other one in Remington 7400. These cailbers rock ya'll. I know Ron its impossible to have them all but I am sure doing my best to have most of them.
That 257 Roberts will dang sure reach out and touch them to, I got a buddy that hunts with one infact its all he hunts with.
Critch if your scope and rifle are doing what ya like I wouldn't change nothing pal. I would add more rifles and scopes every chance ya get pal.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a half-a$$ idea once of a 257 Roberts varmint rifle. I have a Savage 10FP in 308, and I thought about having a varmint barrel made for it in 257 Roberts for some real long range work. Never really got around to it...Some of those 80 grain bullets or even lighter would be awesome...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would be the best twist for the lighter bullets if I stayed around 70-80 grains?

The reason I am thinking about the Savage is that I can change the barrels myself, I have the tools and headspace guages.

A stainless fluted 24 inch barrel would do the trick.

Does AI really change things that much?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have never owned a .257 Roberts, but I have heard good things about them, like some of the others who have responded to your post, I have owned rifles in .243 Win & .250-3000 Savage, I owned both of those calibers in Savage 99c Lever Action Rifles as well as a .308 Win & .358 Win in the same rifle action. Currently my smallest centerfire rifle caliber is 6.5mm, a Ruger M77MKII Compact in .260 Rem Caliber. My favorite bullet I load for it is a 130gr Barnes TSX over a compressed load of IMR4350. I have successfully used this caliber to harvest one Bull Moose, one Bull Elk, several Whitetail & Muley Bucks as well as a Black Bear. My M77 Compact is topped with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 scope. My Ruger M77MKII Compact rifle weighs just under 7lbs wearing the scope & sling, shoots very well & carries nicely, it's a keeper in my books.
--Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an ultra light in roberts and really enjoyed it. It shot those 75gr v-max bullets really well. It also was decent with 117gr seirra. a good all around rifle but I was lured away ny an annivesary blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Rugers site shows the .257 Roberts is made in the Hawkeye now.[:p]I want one,but I'll wait maybe it will pass.LOL.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this Hawkeye have iron sights? That would be cool...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 257 Roberts in FN Browning of 1953 vintage with Herder's Chery wood stock is wicked with a 75g BTHP on ground hogs with the Leopold 7.5 x 50mm with parallax adj mounted on top. My dad got it used from Fred Baker a famous big game hunter, for $100 that he really didn't have to spare in 1957, to say the least. At one time we had a picture of his wife with some game she killed with the rifle in Africa. I added the Leopold in 1974 for about $80, and it has only been sighted in one time since buying.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Never owned a 257 Roberts but I do have a 25-06 that I have had for 27 years and it is my favorite rifle. Perfect for white tail with the 115 to 120g bullet and devastating on varmints with the 75g.

·
Super Moderator
21,829 Posts
My wife decided she wanted to try hunting several years ago so I picked up a nice little used Browning A-Bolt in 257 Roberts and put a Leuopold 3X9. It is a great rifle and excellent up to deer sized game. She doesn't hunt much anymore and guess what I have another deer rifle. It's a good shooter with handloads and the recoil is barely noticable.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Years ago I worked in a machine shop. A guy I worked with had a beautiful M77 in .25/06. It had been tricked out very nicely. It had a 25" Hart Stainless bull barrel on it, reworked trigger that broke like glass, and a gorgeous custom Monte Carlo stock. About the only thing left Ruger was the receiver and bolt. I could only dream of owning such a gun back then. He wanted a short range brush gun and didn't have the funds to buy something more suitable. He asked me to cut the barrel down to 20" and turn it down to standard profile. I tried everything I could think of to talk him out of it or at least stop at 22 or 23". I finally told him no. He went to my boss who also tried to talk him out of it but ended up shortening it for him but told him we didn't have the tooling to turn it down. We did but were not going to remove the barrel from the receiver. I watched him do it in a hollow spindle lathe. Cut it off at 20" and recut a nice crown on it. Still shot really well but he had a top notch long range gun and sort of ruined it IMO. I almost cried...

Edit: Almost forgot the rest. My boss was trying to work out a trade on an almost equivalent .257 Roberts with him for his .25/06. He wouldn't do it. Go figure....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Years ago I worked in a machine shop. A guy I worked with had a beautiful M77 in .25/06. It had been tricked out very nicely. It had a 25" Hart Stainless bull barrel on it, reworked trigger that broke like glass, and a gorgeous custom Monte Carlo stock. About the only thing left Ruger was the receiver and bolt. I could only dream of owning such a gun back then. He wanted a short range brush gun and didn't have the funds to buy something more suitable. He asked me to cut the barrel down to 20" and turn it down to standard profile. I tried everything I could think of to talk him out of it or at least stop at 22 or 23". I finally told him no. He went to my boss who also tried to talk him out of it but ended up shortening it for him but told him we didn't have the tooling to turn it down. We did but were not going to remove the barrel from the receiver. I watched him do it in a hollow spindle lathe. Cut it off at 20" and recut a nice crown on it. Still shot really well but he had a top notch long range gun and sort of ruined it IMO. I almost cried...

Edit: Almost forgot the rest. My boss was trying to work out a trade on an almost equivalent .257 Roberts with him for his .25/06. He wouldn't do it. Go figure....
Holy cow! Some guys are just stupid blind by there own desire's, they fail to see the prize they already posses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never owned a .257 Roberts myself, but I've heard lots of good things about the round.

An interesting fact about the round--and, yes, this is true--is that a famous ivory hunter in the 1930s and 40s who went by the moniker "Kilimanjaro Bob" used the .257 exclusively. His philosophy was that shot placement is what really matters and a larger rifle just means more weight and recoil. He killed thousands of elephants and many lions with the round and died of old age.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used a 77 chambered in .257 Roberts that I bought new in 1975. It's a great killer of whitetails when stoked with 120 grain Cor-Loks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.