Ruger Forum banner

2nd time back for SP101

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Shoebox1.1 
#1 ·
On Thursday I sent my 3” Sp101 .357 Magnum back to the factory for the 2nd time. I have had it for about 3 years now, but it really has not sent all that many bullets down range. (Probably not more than a couple thousand.) The 1st time was for a chamber in which cases would stick after firing and too much cylinder end gap. They fixed those issues. Unfortunately the end gap came back too close and it jambs up after 50 to 100 rounds. Strangely, now I can turn the cylinder with the hammer down. The revolver has always hits low and to the right, either right or left handed and regardless of the load. I remembered a subject line on this forum concerning canted barrels and mine seems to be.
Mind you, this is not a whining session, because I love the SP101. I am pleased that they will send me a shipping label and ship me back a properly functioning firearm, one that I would buy over most any other revolver, at no additional cost. (Just try that when your car has a problem after 3 years.) Can’t wait to get it back.

#6 ·
I do indeed believe that I will soon have my revolver back and all will be well. I just feel a little naked without my CC, especially in these upside down times when rioting, assulting, and pilfering has been deemed virtuous.
Good time to start looking for a backup.

#5 ·
I don't mean to make you worry, but I just posted about my GP100 (bought brand new) that just came back for the 2nd trip. It's still a disgraceful mess.
The first trip back, the b/c gap was so small that some of the chambers rubbed. The bluing was also cloudy and stained. Gun came back, and the b/c gap was fixed, bluing was great, but the darned barrel was canted. The factory had cranked the rear sight all the way over to the right to compensate. I sent the gun back. They fixed the the barrel, b/c gap is still good, but the blued finish is back to being horribly stained with cloudy white stuff all over the frame. Here's my thread: GP100 came back still not quite right: update, see post...

A common reply we all here on these forums is, 'Ruger will make it right'. I'm not so sure about that. Moreover, if Ruger cannot seem to make a gun 'right' after 3 tries (the first time at the factory, plus two more tries), we should really all begin to wonder about the attention (or lack thereof) that Ruger is putting into the structural or mechanical integrity of all these guns. They couldn't get my gun right after 3 tries. Makes me wonder about betting my life on these things.

#9 ·
I don't mean to make you worry, but I just posted about my GP100 (bought brand new) that just came back for the 2nd trip. It's still a disgraceful mess.
The first trip back, the b/c gap was so small that some of the chambers rubbed. The bluing was also cloudy and stained. Gun came back, and the b/c gap was fixed, bluing was great, but the darned barrel was canted. The factory had cranked the rear sight all the way over to the right to compensate. I sent the gun back. They fixed the the barrel, b/c gap is still good, but the blued finish is back to being horribly stained with cloudy white stuff all over the frame. Here's my thread: GP100 came back still not quite right: update, see post...

A common reply we all here on these forums is, 'Ruger will make it right'. I'm not so sure about that. Moreover, if Ruger cannot seem to make a gun 'right' after 3 tries (the first time at the factory, plus two more tries), we should really all begin to wonder about the attention (or lack thereof) that Ruger is putting into the structural or mechanical integrity of all these guns. They couldn't get my gun right after 3 tries. Makes me wonder about betting my life on these things.
Are you the guy that posted this on the S&W forum? I agree those are not wanted in a revolver and the bluing looks bad, but why make others worry? The issues are by far outweighed by the good products. I've had many GPs without issue. And SPs, and Minis, and so on...

Ruger usually does take care of it... Give it time and keep calm.

The OP's SP will be made right too.

#7 ·
My 5" GP100 just went back for the second time. First it was the wooden grip handles were loose and a couple ugly marks on the bluing. I finally got to shoot it the other day, got 3 shots off, and that was it. Hammer wouldn't cock and the cylinder would turn in double action but it wouldn't shoot. I must have dry-fired the revolver 200 times and it did what it was supposed to do. I picked up a stainless 6", and it's great. Both are .327 FM. I really like the looks of the 5" Lipsey version, but S&Ws look nice, too. I've got 2 of them, one is 70 years old, the other 32. Never a problem with them. I keep reading about Ruger's CS, but also about the poor QC. I gotta have faith in them. I bought both GPs within 2 months of each other. I even carry a EC9s for CC and it's never had a problem for all I paid for it. Good luck to you, DawnGazer! Jeff T., PGH PA

#8 ·
Ruger notified me that they are done with the repairs. They are sending the test target back with the revolver. It will arrive on Thursday, but it will be some time before I can shoot it. I had a cornea transplant and cataract operation on my right eye yesterday. I do hope for a good outcome on the Ruger operation, as well as the eye operation. :)

#10 ·
Ruger notified me that they are done with the repairs. They are sending the test target back with the revolver. It will arrive on Thursday, but it will be some time before I can shoot it. I had a cornea transplant and cataract operation on my right eye yesterday. I do hope for a good outcome on the Ruger operation, as well as the eye operation. :)
I know the pain your in ( or will be) I’ve had 10 eye surgeries/ procedures I hope your healing is fast and painless. :)

#13 ·
...The 1st time was for a chamber in which cases would stick after firing and too much cylinder end gap. They fixed those issues.
One or more chambers not reamed to correct dimensions. Sloppy.
Unfortunately the end gap came back too close and it jambs up after 50 to 100 rounds.
Improved the end shake, but forgot to check b/c gap. Fix one problem, but create another. Starting to get discouraging.
Strangely, now I can turn the cylinder with the hammer down.
The cylinder stop (or bolt) did not pop up during reset...a VERY dangerous problem.
The revolver has always hits low and to the right, either right or left handed and regardless of the load. I remembered a subject line on this forum concerning canted barrels and mine seems to be.
Mind you, this is not a whining session, because I love the SP101. I am pleased that they will send me a shipping label and ship me back a properly functioning firearm, one that I would buy over most any other revolver, at no additional cost. (Just try that when your car has a problem after 3 years.) Can’t wait to get it back.
Gun came back, and the b/c gap was fixed, bluing was great, but the darned barrel was canted.
Can't figure out what happened the bluing but they apparently did screw the barrel on squarely or replaced the barrel to fix the registration between the chambers and the bore, and between the sights and the frame. A customer might expect that all these steps would be done correctly during original factory assembly.
....Best wishes for a good outcome on your surgery.

Eor

#14 ·
Well, for all of the negative nellies, I took the refurbished SP101 and my refurbished eye for a range trip. Both did just fine. I shot 100 rounds .38 Special hand loaded with 158 gr. Truncated cone bullets over 3.4 gr. of IMR 700X powder. The cylinder locks up tight. The 10 yard POI was right on. No sticking or jamming. I was able to shoot with my right eye with no glasses.

A day in the hills shooting after a successful vision saving surgery. Life is good. So is that Ruger. 👍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.