Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. New to the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed reading thus far.

I'm trying to decide between a Leupold 2x(1.7x) and 4x(3.7x) scope for my S&W 686+ .357 5" bbl.

This will be mostly a range gun, shooting paper targets 25-100yds. Maybe one day, it'll get to go hunting.

2x 21ft/100yds FOV
4x 9ft/100yds FOV

This is my first handgun scope. I'm a little concern about the wiggle with the 4x scope shooting off-hand. Not really concern about fast target acquisition and getting a quick shot off.

I'm leaning 4x(really 3.7x).

Thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Hey Guys. New to the forum and have thoroughly enjoyed reading thus far.

I'm trying to decide between a Leupold 2x(1.7x) and 4x(3.7x) scope for my S&W 686+ .357 5" bbl.

This will be mostly a range gun, shooting paper targets 25-100yds. Maybe one day, it'll get to go hunting.

2x 21ft/100yds FOV
4x 9ft/100yds FOV

This is my first handgun scope. I'm a little concern about the wiggle with the 4x scope shooting off-hand. Not really concern about fast target acquisition and getting a quick shot off.

I'm leaning 4x(really 3.7x).

Thoughts? TIA.
Keep in mind, a higher powered scope does not increase wiggle, it just gives a better picture of how unsteady you are. I am not really in favor of scoping a revolver or a pistol. The restriction of field of view tends to greatly increase target acquisition time. A nice set of fiber optic open sights is my recommendation.

If you are new to handguns, what you really need is many hours of shooting at very close ranges* until you start hitting the center of your target with great regularity. You do not need a scope for that. A friend once quoted an old saying to me:

"To shoot a handgun is easy. To shoot one accurately is very hard."

* By very close ranges, I mean 15 yards or less. I regularly start practicing at 7 yards and move out only when I can hit a 2"X4" target with every shot. That is with both my Ruger Single Six and my S&W Model 10.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I do a lot of offhand shooting with a 357 revolver and I keep a few around that are scoped. For offhand shooting, 2x is plenty for 357 mag ranges and, even with a 2x, it will take plenty of practice. Much better choice for a first scope and likely all you'll ever need for 357 distances.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Go for the 2X.

Have had an used both 2X & 4X on a 686 8+ inch and .22 auto. The 2X worked well even at 100 yards - sort of giving me some type of pocket rifle.

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
You might also consider a red dot. I have had a 2X Leupold and a red dot on handguns and I got rid of the scope. Still have and use the dot. I find the red dot easier to use but maybe that is just me.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I had a S&W 28 6" with an old Redfield 1.5x fixed power handgun scope on it, and that was pretty much perfect. It was more or less an iron sight in crosshair form, that gun shot ragged holes at 50 yards with 158 gr. .38's.

In an effort to probably pay some stupid bill I sold it on GunBroker, it's one of those few that I sold that go into the "probably should have kept that" category........I have a .357 Redhawk so I told myself it was "redundant"........

I would like to scope a 6" GP100, and I wouldn't go above 2x. .357 revolvers are a lot of fun to scope, more fun IMO than .44 Magnums. It's tons of fun to plink with .38's with a scoped revolver, a scoped .22 revolver or pistol isn't quite the same.

Still, I may also have to get a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk Hunter, and put a low power optic on it. Just for fun.

I also had a Tasco Pro Class 1x scope with a "black dot" reticle, made for competition shooting. Should have kept that scope too, they are pricy now if you can find one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the feedback!

I went with the consensus and decided on the Leupold 2x silver scope.

Any suggestions on which ring mounts works well with the Leup scope?

I will get the weigand mount. Not sure if I should go with the weigand rings or the Leupold rings. Will the Leupold rings even be compatible with the weigand mount? If Leupold rings is highly suggested, which particular one?
http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
You can use any weaver style rings on the Weigand, including the Leupolds. Unless you are interested in adding weight the gun, though, good aluminum rings do just fine. No need to go to steel. Have had good luck with the rings Weigand offers as a package with their mount.

The Leupold FX II 2x, by the way, is as good as it gets in a 2x pistol scope. Great scope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi NorthCountryGal,

Saw an older range thread where you were able to do sub 1" groups at 50yds with the GP100 and leup scope. Very impressive.

Have you tried any 100yds groups with any of your wheel guns?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Thank-you and, yes, I have. I often shoot at 100 yards with scoped revolvers and sometimes use a red dot, too. I much prefer to use open sights at 50 yards for all my handgun shooting, but at 100 yards, target visibility becomes more of an issue for these old eyes, thus the scope or red dot.

My advice is to give it a try, but be patient and keep trying. Revolvers are not the strictly up close and personal shooters some folks believe them to be. A lot of us who have been hunting with a handgun and shooting silhouette know, better. For sure, you will learn a lot and have fun in the process. Go for it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah my leup came in. I'm just waiting for my mounts then its a trip to the local indoor 25yd range. Can't wait. It'll be awhile before I can schedule an outdoor range trip.

Any results you care to share at 100yds? Preferably .357

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
In general, if you can't sustain 4MOA at 100yrds with a scoped Ruger, Taurus, or S&W revolver off of a rest, something is wrong. If you can deliver better than 2MOA, something is very right.

I personally use variable scopes on my revolvers - doing so gives me the option to turn down to 2-3x for offhand shooting, then crank up to 6x or 7x for supported shooting.

Too many folks limit themselves by refusing to put enough scope for their application on their handguns. Guys don't like jittery reticles, and think top heavy revolvers look stupid - but when you're able to kill prairie dogs at 250yrds with a revolver, it turns heads! I'll have to admit, it looks incredibly silly, but I have a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm on top of a .357 Redhawk right now, meant for shooting groups at 250yrds. It's not an extended eye relief scope, so it takes a LOT of getting used to and a lot of faith to put your face so close to it, but I want to shoot really small stuff a really long ways away - it takes some magnification to do that effectively. I bought a Leup VX-3 2.5-8x IER for this rig, but after some coaxing by another specialty pistol shooter, I decided to try out a rifle scope for a little while. So far, so good - I can see VERY well with this scope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
First 7 shots out at 25 yds on a rest today. I got it sighted in afterwards and it was hitting center target. Was hoping to go to an outdoor range, but it rained.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the scope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts