Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5" SR22. I love it. I was thinking about buying a Mark II or III for the accuracy.

While looking at those, I found the new 4.5" SR22. Would it be possible to buy the slide and barrel to fit my standard SR22?

I know it wouldn't be as accurate as the Mark II or III, but I'd like to try it out. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
388 Posts
I bought one after owning the original SR22 and multiple Mark III's. I had it all of 2 weeks and sold it. For the extra money over the original SR22 there are no noticeable benefits that I could see! You will not see a big enough difference in accuracy..if any.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I bought one after owning the original SR22 and multiple Mark III's. I had it all of 2 weeks and sold it. For the extra money over the original SR22 there are no noticeable benefits that I could see! You will not see a big enough difference in accuracy..if any.
Yeah, I could see that. About the only advantage to accuracy I could see it the longer sight radius, and as far as velocity, maybe a slight uptick in speed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had both . I now have the 4.5 no marked improvement in accuracy

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I wonder about putting the longer barrel and slide on my SR22. My eye sight would appreciate the slightly lo get sight radius.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I wonder about putting the longer barrel and slide on my SR22. My eye sight would appreciate the slightly lo get sight radius.
Not going to happen without trading the gun for the longer slide model. I've called Ruger on this before when I wanted to acquire a stainless slide for my LCP. They said that would not be possible since changing the slide would effectively also be changing the guns Model # which is not permissible.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I'd confirm, it's not going to happen. Ruger won't do it, they do not offer that kind of service on their pistols, ever. What Owly is referring to has only EVER applied to their single action revolvers, but they do not offer the "change it to a different model number" service for their pistols or other models.

You could, however, buy a take-off barrel and slide and install it into your pistol, however, the 4.5" SR22 hasn't been around long enough for there to be any parts online, and frankly, you won't save money doing so.

You're talking about spending ~$100 on a barrel, and ~$150-250 on a slide, to upgrade a $350 pistol... Doesn't make much sense. Just buy another one, they're cheap.

Personally, I don't think you'll find the extra 1" of barrel to be a significant advantage for accuracy. The extra sight radius will help a little, but not so much that you'll be anywhere near the realm of the Mark III's, Buckmarks, Woodsmans, etc. I wouldn't spend the $350 on another SR22 or on upgrading to a longer barrel and slide, when I could spend $275 on a 22/45 or $310 on a Mark III that would shoot markedly better out of the box. Combat-style 22 pistols just can't compete with the "target-style" models, it's a design issue, no way to overcome that. Do what you will, it's your money, but for good money spent: 1) you will not be ahead to add $300+ in parts to a $350 pistol, and 2) that $350 would go a lot farther towards improved accuracy if you spend it on a different model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts