Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a 4" gp adj sight rev cut back to 3" adj sighted?
I've always liked 3" better. With the fixed sight gp the problem is sight regulation. I tried out a gp 3" fixed years back and the windage was off to the point as not acceptable. Had seen the same thing on another shooters 3" gp. Smith 64's and 65's i have tried the sights were regulated well.
Or would i be better off getting a dove tail front sight installed on a fixed sight gp should i encounter the same windage problem again? Not talking target grade here but i do expect 10 ring poi at 15yds on a b-27.
Just checking for opinions.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,796 Posts
deputy125, Here's a 4" I whacked to 2.5". Lots of work but it turned out great. Next time I won't mess with a blued gun because doing all the prep work and rebluing was more involved than shortening the barrel.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent!
is she dao?
And i gather the front is dove tailed?

·
16,796 Posts
deputy125, Yes, I bobbed the hammer for DAO and I did a few more things too. The front sight is the standard "plug-in". This red insert sight is stock on a SRH but any regular GP-100 sight will also work. Notice the GP-100 compact grips. Though the picture doesn't show it, I removed the "Bill board" from the barrel. The bluing came out blacker than a whores heart. The inner parts were all slicked up and a lighter set of springs were installed. Trigger pull is very nice and accuracy is great. You wouldn't have any problem hitting the 10 ring ay 15 yds.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and pic. Maybe even start with a 6" short lug for such a project.
In your experience, does Ruger have a problem regulating the sights on the 3" fixed or was my experience just bad luck of the draw?

·
16,796 Posts
deputy125, I wish I had a buck for every fixed sight gun that came in my shop with "regulation" issues. Remember, fixed sights are great for a CCW where holster snagging can be an issue and "point shooting" rather than "aim shooting" is the norm. If you are going to aim a revolver, do yourself a favor and buy a gun with adjustable sights. In theory, if a gun is sighted in perfect for me, it should also be sighted in perfect for every other shooter. We all know this is not true. Many shooters get a different sight picture or pull their shots during lock time. This will make a gun shoot different for nearly everyone. Yes, Ruger does have problems with all their handguns with windage regulation because the barrels aren't screwed in for perfect front sight alignment. Ruger is not alone ... I have repaired hundreds of revolvers with cocked sights in about every brand on the market. On an adjustable sight gun, a few clicks of the windage screw will correct all but the grossly off front sight.

When ever you have a revolver that will shoot a host of different loads (velocity and bullet weight), no fixed sight gun can possibly be regulated for elevation POI. The shorter the barrel (shorter sight radius) the more critical the adjustment becomes. Example: Assume a 25 yard target. A 6" GP-100 has about a 8" sight radius. Each .009" of sight movement changes POI by 1 inch @ 25 yds. For a 4" barrel, each .006" (about the thickness of a piece of paper) moves the POI by 1". With a 3" barrel, a mere .004" of sight movement will change POI by 1". As you can see, the barrel must be threaded in perfect for front sight alignment (windage). Short barrels rise more when fired to compound the issues. You can easily see a 6" vertical spread @ 15 yds between a 38 Special load and a 357 mag load in a snubby.

Another huge issue is grips. Most shooters don't understand what happens after you pull the trigger because you can't really see the muzzle move. A good set of grips helps keep the sights on the target AFTER the trigger is pulled. That little fraction of a second between the time you break the sear until the bullet exits the muzzle can allow the muzzle to move quite a bit. So here's the rub: You buy a short barreled gun for concealability then put some big honkin' grips on it so it will shoot better. What have you accomplished? You loose concealability way more with a larger grip than you do with a longer barrel.

My suggestion: buy a snubby with small grips and fixed sights and point shoot (SP-101 comes to mind). Buy a 4" GP-100 with full sized grips and adjustable sights if you really want to hit something.

By the way, I sold the whacked GP in the photo. It shot well but not as good as a 4". The weight difference was 3 ounces. Here's my carry gun when I tote a revolver in my high-ride hip holster.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caught myself refering to a beautiful gun as a "she" again!
thanks for the info. i am aware of the problems wih poi and different loads. I settle on one defense load for a combination of accuracy/performance per weapon and shoot center mass. Just hate it though when the poi is 6 to 8" left with about any load and it has been determined to be the gun and not the shooter. Elevation poi i can deal with if it ain't tremendous. Thats why the thought of a dove tail front on an existing 3" fixed gp.
appreciate the response back and will put more thought into it on costs vs performance vs what i am using it for. windage regulation can be a sore that constantly gets picked at. Shot alot of ppc and hunter pistol and the influence of those activities sometimes pops up where it is not needed.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I am with Ron thanks for sharing you do some really nice work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts