Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, fellow shooters. I'm trying to deal with aging eyes and need some advice regarding my mod 1751 GP100. This is the 3" adjustable sighted version.
Now, I'm not trying to make it a long range hunter, but, darn it, seeing the sights would sure be a help. That front sight just fades to a dark blur no matter what I do. I've painted it bright yellow and still lose it in almost any light. This is happening with all my iron sighted arms, so I have to find a solution soon.
I've seen the Weigatinny rails for the 4" and 6" GP, but nothing for the 3", and I want to mount a red dot on it. Anyone know of a simple mount that's available for it? Size isn't an issue. It's not a CCW gun.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I've seen it said that 4" is the minimum practical barrel length for a rail. You may be better off selling the 1751 and getting a longer barrel version.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Just pop a Hi-Viz Redhawk sight on there, they're like $35 and will go on your 1751 in about 10 seconds.

I don't like the GP-100 Hi-Viz, the light rod replaceable and held in by some cheesy brass tab. The Redhawk Hi-Viz is enclosed in a plastic protective "casing" and holds up better. It's just slightly "taller" than the GP sight but that has made no difference whenever I've used a Redhawk sight on a GP100, might have to click the rear sight up a notch, no big deal.

The Small Wonder sights look great but are probably $100+.

I've also used a Dawson Precision fiber optic, they look great and are made well, but the fiber optic wasn't as bright as the Hi-Viz. That Dawson sight got lost in the divorce anyway, it's either on the floor in a pile of junk in my "ex house" or got thrown away by now. I think they are like $40.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I am not to keen on fiber optic sights. I bought a Tru Glo sight for a shotgun. The Tru Glo lasted one day. I know most people do not take their pistol bird hunting but pistols still see some hard use. I flushed a covey on an old logging deck. The birds flew into a bunch of honeysuckles. The sight never made it out of the honeysuckles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What power are your reading glasses? Decot makes an excellent prescription shooting glasses set up so us guys with aging eyes can still shoot iron sights. The bifocal is reduced power and set on the top of the lens. The lower power gives a clear sight picture and the target is visible since its not too powerful. Good luck.
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts