Ruger Forum banner

3" gp100 silk purse/sow's ear

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rkcohen 
#1 · (Edited)
took my box stock ss 3" gp100 - which was the very definition of ugly/unusable - and with a few tweaks, made it my favorite carry, replacing my ss speed six (bought new in the 80s) w/round butt pachmayr.

1. total disassembly - vigorous cleaning and lube made HUGE difference in how the trigger feels. all springs stock - want it to go bang regardless of ammunition brand. the amount of "factory crud" was, well shocking..
2. grip - while the stock hogue feels better on my full size gp guns - it just wasn't the ticket for a cc piece. I went with the badger sport grip in tung oil goncalo. not only can I get my entire hand around it - it has great "feel" for my hands and just about eliminated the "printing.." the fact it looks terrific, doesn't hurt my feelings either!
3. gemini custom gold bead front sight. took this one on faith - glad I did! it's incredible the difference this made over the factory unit - would recommend it immediately to any other fixed sight fan.
4. a trip for the cylinder/crane system to Hamilton Bowen. "blackpowder" bevel on the front of the cylinder, chamfered charge holes, .358 throats all around and zero out of end shake. in/out of the el paso saddlery holster is slick and there's no more "rock and roll" going on..
5. last but not least - magnaport! have had this done on a couple of other guns. this is a must do for full house loads! have shot this gun "before/after" and the diff is HUGE. for a c note, I can't recommend it enough. do "before/after" one time w/o listening to a bunch of "I got a buddy who's brother has a friend.." internet drones and you'll be convinced.

Gun Revolver Everyday carry Trigger Airsoft gun
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Everyday carry

See less See more
#14 · (Edited)
chewy - it is one of my "mood" guns....

you know, carry whatever you're in the mood for - but mostly, yeah.. never thought i'd retire the speed 6....

if it's social work, the 357 ruger, if i'm "on the trail" it's a blkhwk 4 5/8" 44 w/280 gr gc lbt loads..

my favorite bbq gun these days is a ss bird head in 45acp carried in an el paso holster with 2 "speed loaders" which always amuses my buddies until they have the lightbulb moment followed by "say, you know, that just might work..'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.