Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 3" GP100 to the range today. :D

It's a Birthday/Christmas Present from my wife and she let me take it out for my Birthday. After I clean it she's going to put it back in to her safe until Christmas.

I was impressed with the little gun. It shot low for me, but that can be remedied. I was shooting the old Remington 357 Magnum 125 Grain SJHP's. I went through 100 rounds, and would've shot more if I had more with me.

I plan to send this gun to Gemini Customs to have it ported, hammer bobbed, and various other little things to "tune" it up. Out of the box it's good, after it gets worked on I expect it to be great. This gun, out of the box, easily passes the 5x5x5 test. :D That's 5 rounds in five seconds at 5 Yards inside 5 inches.

I really like the stocks on the GP, and may not put a set of custom wood ones on. I was very impressed with the little guns ability to handle recoil. Usually I want a 5" Barrel on a 357 Magnum to "tame" the recoil, but the 3" Barrel works fine on this gun.

The only bad thing about going to the range today was that now I'm drooling over a Kimber Desert Warrior that I got to play with. [:p] I'm still a revolver man, but I do need one good 1911, traded my last one for a 44 Mag for Bear Hunting.

OK, I'll post again after Christmas when I take possesion of the gun for good. I'll also report on the Black Hills 125 Grain JHP's that I ordered.

Biker

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Those GPs are great guns. But everybody needs at least one 1911, and Kimbers are great! Here is my GP:

And this is my Kimber Ultra Carry:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Glad you liked the test drive. 158 gr loads ought to bring it up some.....

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the 158 Grain bullets should bring it up, but that's not what I shoot.

I shoot only one load in .357 Magnum for Bipedal Aggressors and that's the old 125 Grain JHP or SJHP.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
don't blame ya one bit---last i heard still the #1 stopper.

·
Registered
133 Posts
quote:I was shooting the old Remington 357 Magnum 125 Grain SJHP's. I went through 100 rounds, and would've shot more if I had more with me.
You still have a hand?

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:You still have a hand?
\

Actually I think this is a "mild" load.

It's not as "watered down" as today's loads, but it really isn't that bad to shoot. I won't shoot this load out of a J-Frame "snubbie".

Biker

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but I wanted to brag a little.

Instead of sending my GP100 with a 3" Barrel off to Gemini I had a local do some work on it for me. I have a digital camera, but I don't know how to post PICS in a thread.

We "bobbed" the hammer, polished and rounded the trigger, put a "Calvary Cut" on the cylinder. I also had the left side of the trigger guard cut out to facilitate getting my trigger finger to the trigger faster. That's an old Andy Cannon trick.

I decided not to port this gun because I can handle it fine without the porting. I also decided not to pour a bunch of money in to it in case it ends up sitting in an Evidence Locker for a long period of time before I get it back. It is my Off Duty Carry Gun. I am going to work on putting an insert in to the Front Sight to facilitate a better sight picture next. My 'smith also "slicked up" the Ejection Rod and filed down all the sharp edges on the gun.

Needless to say, best $40 I've spent on a gun in a long time. Heck, he did the action on my Colt SAA for $30, but we have been friends for almost twenty years.

Biker

·
Registered
404 Posts
You have to upload pictures to one of the photo sharing sites e.g. flickr and then link to them.

To insert a link to an image click the Insert Image button and paste the link.

To get a link to any picture online just right click on it. If you are using FireFox in the pop-up menu will be an option to "Copy Image Location". If you are using IE select "Properties" from the pop-up menu and the address will be on the properties tab.

Can't wait to see some pictures.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
BikerRn, you got all that done for $40, I'd be buyin' that guy's beer for awhile...that's a good friend....we'll be tickled pink to see the pics...or you could kinda pass it around so we can see/fondle it...me first....

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, no PICS yet, but the gun isn't finished.

I took it back to him last night because I had three FTF's out of 150 rounds. Instead of changing the springs he "clipped" two coils off. I asked him to go ahead and take out the Single Action capability and put an original 14# spring back in from Brownell's. He does have things "smoothed up" so 14# shouldn't feel too bad.

I demand that this gun fire everytime the trigger is pulled, as it's not a "Range Toy". Overall I'm very happy with his work, we just hit a "snag". I'm also having him add an insert in to the Front Sight so that I can see it better. Give me a couple more weeks and I might learn how to post a PIC too.

Biker

·
Banned
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is a calvary cut?
I'll try to explain it.

A Calvary Cut is where the front of the cylinder edges are broken at the flutes to help spread the flame of a Blackpowder handgun. The easiest way to see it is to look at the guns from the S&W Performance Center. Look at the front of the cylinder and notice how they are flared. That is a Calvary Cut.

The cut facilitates rapid reholstering and getting the gun out of the holster. It's a little thing, but sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15714&isFirearm=Y

Notice how the edges of the front of the cylinder seem "rounded" or flared? That's what it is.

Biker

1 - 20 of 36 Posts