Ruger Forum banner

3" LCRx in .357 Magnum

32K views 79 replies 36 participants last post by  Argee1950 
#1 ·
#6 ·
The FFL that I use can often provide Ruger firearms to me at around 20-25% below MSRP. That would make for a price of around $525 for me.

In 1985, I liked the Speed Six. Things have changed since then. I believe that the GP100, SP101, and LCR revolvers are superior to the Six series revolvers.
I don't find a .357 Speed Six to be comparable to a .357 LCRx, either.

#8 ·
The MSRP is not "fiction". Some gun dealers do list their Ruger firearms at MSRP. Ruger's MSRP is not close to the wholesale price of their guns. It gives distributors, dealers, and FFL holders a wide margin for pricing.

MSRP "IS" a useful tool for comparing prices within the Ruger firearms lines. That's why I mentioned it.

#12 ·
Price aside, what took Ruger so long?

LCRx line has been around for a long time now and lots of people have been asking for a .357 mag version since the LCRx was first introduced.

Many of us have moved on to something else by now.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm definetly saving my pennies for one of these. 21 ounces was what some were guessing.. I was thinking around 19 oz. A 3" with adjustable sites... I'm all in. Thank you Ruger!!

#19 ·
5 1/2 oz more than the 3" .38 Spl LCRx. The extra weight, plus the longer barrel and better grip, compared with the 1.87" .357 LCRx, should provide for better 'shootability'.

I think (or have thought for a while), that this new LCRx is a perfect outdoors "kit" gun. You can choose to shoot .38 Spl wadcutters, +P hollow points, 110 gr JHP .357s, or 158 gr .357s in it. It's about a third of a pound lighter than the 3" SP101, and a bit shorter.

Hopefully, it will become Calif "approved" in the next several months. I'm hoping to save enough extra money to get one before next summer...

#24 ·
This is exciting for me only in that it's a 3" Ruger with an adjustable rear sight chambered in 357 Magnum. Come on Ruger, bring back the stainless GP100 version known as the 1708. I'll be the first on my block to buy one.

#25 ·
Interesting. I want to see if the trigger is as light and smooth as the DAO version.

A friend wants a home defense revolver and this strikes me as a contender. Only wheelgun with a better trigger out of the box was the Kimber K6S. That has an MSRP of nearly $1000 (I got a deal on mine, though).

Nice to see Ruger evolving this very promising platform. As for 21oz? I want mine even HEAVIER. Follow-up shots are everything for me.

#35 ·
Interesting. I want to see if the trigger is as light and smooth as the DAO version.
I can almost guarantee that...and the single action will be sweeter yet

A friend wants a home defense revolver and this strikes me as a contender. Only wheelgun with a better trigger out of the box was the Kimber K6S. That has an MSRP of nearly $1000 (I got a deal on mine, though).
You were comparing your Kimber to the SP101..out of the box the LCR family has a much better trigger than the SP's.
Nice to see Ruger evolving this very promising platform. As for 21oz? I want mine even HEAVIER. Follow-up shots are everything for me.
My LCR.357 comes in a little over 17 ounces and handles all +P's without any problems. The full load .357's have some bite. I think the additional 4 ounces and a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip will smooth that out.

#26 ·
This is the model and configuration I had been hoping for from Ruger. Another 3" Magnum is one of the few guns on my list.

The complication comes because Kimber has just released their hammered version of the K6S in 2 and 3 inch varieties. A 3" K6S DASA looks fantastic and gives that sixth round.

I have a few months left to decide. I already have enough money set aside for the Ruger. I'm not quite there for the Kimber. I prefer to wait for any Gremlins to be worked out in new models before purchase. That will give me time to read reviews.

#29 · (Edited)
I have a few months left to decide. I already have enough money set aside for the Ruger. I'm not quite there for the Kimber. I prefer to wait for any Gremlins to be worked out in new models before purchase. That will give me time to read reviews.
My 2" DAO Kimber is outstanding. The company, like Ruger, will help with any flaws. My only gripe was an overly tall front ramp. I filed it and it shoots to POA. Newer guns (mine is a very early K6S, bought very lightly used at a real bargain) have different sights.

Chris at Lucky Gunner and Mike at Revolver Guy have spent more time with their Kimbers than I have with my gun. Mine has 4 months and 400 rounds from me so far, trouble free.

That said, there's a big price difference between the guns. I was happy before with 5 rounds, and was about to get an SP101 DAO, but the Kimber showed up at a show and that 6th round is a nice perk. I also wanted my gun for pocket carry, so a 3" anything would not fit the bill.

#28 ·
So many nice guns. I’d be more tempted if I didn’t have an S&W 360 for CCW (15 ounces for the Personal Defense model in 357) and a 4.6” Blackhawk stainless in 357 mag for the woods and range. I don’t mind open carry with a heavy gun, but CCW I think both the 3” barrel and adjustable sights would make conceal difficult. I never could conceal reasonably my 3” SP101 that I used to have.

#32 ·
I am not a fan of light weight 357's or 38's.
- The adjustable rear sight is nice.
- I suspect I would like the additional 5-6 ounces of this gun.

I have the 3" LCR-X in 38+P.
- I prefer my 2" (6) shot all steel revolver.
- Supporting the 28 ounce +/- weight just feels right.
- I can hold a polar bears mouth open with a steel revolver... The plastic LCR would crack.

I would like to see a 3" SP101 with an adjustable rear sight.

The 3" GP100 is a heavy snub nose @ 36 ounces.
- I have never seen one for sale.
- I enjoy my 5" GP100.

#37 ·
I’m getting one!

Have the 22 WMR and 38, they have become my go to revolvers for woods carry when hunting and ranch work. So light on the hip you don’t know they are there. The 357 option expands the power options, may give the 38 to one of my kids as the new 357 will do double duty 357/38.

#38 · (Edited)
I realize a lot of people will compare this gun to the 3" SP101, but that gun doesn't have adjustable sights. To make that comparison you would have to look at the 4" SP101 and that's 38.5% heavier than the new 3" LCRX in 357 magnum.

I'm thinking this comparison with guns using adjustable iron sights is important because that's one of the main features that makes these types of guns good choices as a " kit gun " or " backpacking gun "

I'm actually really glad Ruger started selling these. I also hope they consider making a 3" in 9mm and 327 fed mag. Another thing I think Ruger should consider doing is making a larger version of the LCR. Something the same size as the GP100.

#55 ·
Think I'll hold out for a 3" .327 LCR instead. Maybe they'll make it someday.
I would like one too. I would like a 3" LCRx 327, I might settle for a different caliber. I do know how to find one for less. I have 357 snubby covered with my all steel Taurus 605, I have owned it since 2003 and I like it, it guards my upstairs commode just fine.
I guess 3" is a different animal, so I might consider the 357. I think the 327 GP100 is a more likely choice for me.

#48 ·
I have a 1708 for hiking, outdoor work and some carry duties. This gun gets shot a lot and beat on regularly. I also have a 2.25” SP101 .357 and picking up a standard LCR .357 this week. I wish Ruger would do an adjustable sight 3” .357. Novak adj sight would be great. I like working, multi use guns.

#49 ·
Ordered mine this week. $455 plus tax.

Will be my third LCRx 3” and they have become my favorite revolver to carry. In the Mitch Rosen OWB or 2A KYDEX chest holster they so light you don’t even notice them.

If I go to the city, a pistol gets the nod, 9mm or 45 IWB.

I would like to say I am done with the LCRx line up now but if they come out with a 3” 9mm ......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.