Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I suppose it could be done, but not sure why it should be done:confused:

Why not just get a #3 if you like the features of the lever? Anyway, you would have to permanently alter it (cut off the boss that engages the ball and detent that keeps the lever closed) making it no longer usable with a #3. Also, you'll need need to remove the #1 trigger guard, and use a magnet or something to hold the #3 lever closed on the #1 action.

A much better option is to get a #3 action and make the custom gun that you want or think you need.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Isn't the action the same?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Yes, the actions might appear the same externally, but the levers pivot down completely different. No Go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, I was wanting a #3 in 30-30 which wasent ever made but have sort of decided with your help that modifying one just aint right.
So Ill look for a #3 in a light caliber. thanks again

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need the #3 type lever due to a bum hand. I cant hold a normal rifle very good so I'm thinking the curve of the lever would work for me.
A new 1885 Winchester would work, but I like Ruger as they are still made in the US of A.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I need the #3 type lever due to a bum hand. I cant hold a normal rifle very good so I'm thinking the curve of the lever would work for me.
A new 1885 Winchester would work, but I like Ruger as they are still made in the US of A.
I was just going to suggest an 1885, and then I saw this, so you are aware of them........ Nothing wrong with wanting to keep with USA made, but for the record, Miroku made Winchester and Browning 1885's are made to a higher degree fit and finish than Ruger's, and are almost certainly all more accurate due to their massive forearm hanger and truly free floated barrel. I have both, as do many, and most will opt for the 1885's in preferance. I certainly do....

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had a Browning Model 78 in .243 Winchester. It was a fine deer rifle:

It was made in the USA. I bought it used. Look around and you might find one

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Sandog, btw the 30-40Krag has quite a bit of more power over the 30-30, more like a .308 or slightly less than a 30-06. Especially with the 220 grain round nose bullets.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I compromised and found a #1 in 357 mag. Can load to suit my needs.
Great suggestions from everyone, thanks, It should be here soon,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts