Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Maybe someone knows how rare this one is....if it is rare at all.

I have a Super Blackhawk from 1969 3 screw that is 44mag 4-5/8 barrel, with the hammer, cylinder and Ejection rod guard nickle plated.....nifty but weird.

Someone told me that I should consider sending it in for a verification letter to find out if it was a Ruger Custom.

Please give me your opinion.....44 in 4-5/8 was not a standard offering in 69 , was it?

When I figue out how to host the pics I will post them..

Bosshoss.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,843 Posts
Ruger never offered a nickel plated finish and never did open order custom work. There were factory chrome guns for trade shows way back (like 60 years ago) but a nickel Ruger is pretty much gonna be done after it left the factory.

Many ears ago the factory was more amenable to doing a few things like swapping barrels or providing a conversion cylinder but always with standard parts. Nowadays they seem to have taken the position that they will only stay with the original configuration as it left the factory.

Sounds like some custom work done after it left the factory.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Having guns nickel plated by aftermarket sources was fairly common in those days, since stainless guns were just beginning to hit the market.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks for the nickel plate info.....

But , the barrel on this is marked/roll stamped with the Ruger logo on the left side , and looks like afactory job....

I quess it would be a waste to send to them to get a letter then. I just have an ugly/pretty duckling. It was so unique being a 44 in 4-5/8 I had to buy it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
custom,,after the fact

sounds like one done back in the day, plate the parts that will "wear" from use, easy enough for any gunsmith to shorten the barrel, done right the roll marks will still be in the same spot. Sounds like a nice 'carry gun' made to be used,,,yes pictures would be nice

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, thanks for the nickel plate info.....

But , the barrel on this is marked/roll stamped with the Ruger logo on the left side , and looks like afactory job....

I quess it would be a waste to send to them to get a letter then. I just have an ugly/pretty duckling. It was so unique being a 44 in 4-5/8 I had to buy it.

Thanks again.
If you send the gun to Ruger. beware it will come back with the safety conversion transfer bar on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts