Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not claiming to be a good shooter. I just recently got into long range shooting with the goal of eventually hunting.

Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 win. Monarch 3 4-16X50 scope.

Here's my 3 shot group at 500yds. Post yours.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Looks like you had fun.

I think you can post pictures on the Ruger RPR site.

What did you pick for glass.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I feel like I'm doing well to get a group like that at 5 yds. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've updated the first post but it is Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 win. Monarch 3 4-16X50 scope.

·
Banned
650 Posts
That was a nice group. You won't have to make many 500 yard shots when you are hunting, but that is a good confidence builder.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Tell us Zoti, what grain bullet, and was that a handload or a factory loading. If factory what brand, also if it was a reload give us the particulars. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tell us Zoti, what grain bullet, and was that a handload or a factory loading. If factory what brand, also if it was a reload give us the particulars. Inquiring minds want to know.
It was a 168gr HPBT factory load from SSA Ammunition. under $20 a box at Cabelas right now.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That was a nice group. You won't have to make many 500 yard shots when you are hunting, but that is a good confidence builder.
Well, that all depends on what you are hunting and where you are hunting it. White tail deer not likely...........but mule deer or Antelope on the plains or sheep in the mountains, 500 and longer shots are common. Also Coyote and prairie dogs. He is from Texas after all. Plus, if you are confident in yourself and your equipment out to 1000 yards or so, as far as technique and your DOPE, that makes shorter shots childs play if and when you do encounter one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very nice! Do you have the BDC or Nikoplex MONARCH ? Pic of your rig? I agree, shooting to 500 yards and having a group like that is quite a confidence builder when you finally get to the field. I know there's some places to shoot prairie dogs in far W. Tx, 8 hours from where you live.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My hat is off to you. What type of wind were you dealing with? It doesn't take much to push a bullet off a foot at that range.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
pretty sweet group!

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Based on the size of the bullet strikes and relative size of the dirt and grass in the background that target appears to be only about 6" wide. If that's true then the group size is about 2.5-3". IOW, .5-.6 MOA with an off the rack rifle with store bought ammo at 500 yards while aiming at a target that appears to be no larger than an 8x11 piece of paper. Also, that's either really cheap steel or the penetration of that bullet at 500 yards is exceptional.

I'm impressed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very nice! Do you have the BDC or Nikoplex MONARCH ? Pic of your rig? I agree, shooting to 500 yards and having a group like that is quite a confidence builder when you finally get to the field. I know there's some places to shoot prairie dogs in far W. Tx, 8 hours from where you live.
BDC reticle and I used it. It's spot on. I also use an app on the iPhone to calculate where to hold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My hat is off to you. What type of wind were you dealing with? It doesn't take much to push a bullet off a foot at that range.
There was some wind. I have no idea what it was but on the bigger target at 500yards I definitlly had to do some corrections.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts