Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put the XS Big Dot on my 3" SP101. I noticed that the white ring of the sight fits nicely in the rear sight slot with very little space between the white ring and the sides of the rear sight. When the Big Dot is nestled properly in the rear sight (bottom of the white ring just touching the bottom of the rear sight slot and centered in the slot) the tritium dot in the center of the Big Dot lines up with the top of the sides of the rear sight. This is the same sight picture as with a blade front sight. I haven't fired the gun with the Big Dot yet but it looks good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mines a 2.25" but I've found when shooting, just how you described with the top of the dot sticking up just a bit it's almost dead on every time. Don't shoot at night so I don't know how the tritium lines up when shooting.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is how the Big Dot sight looks on the 3" SP101.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got it from Midway but they are out of stock right now.

XS Express Front Night Sight S&W J-Frame Ruger SP101 Matte Tritium Big

Several other places have the sight. Brownells for one.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...tium-big-dot-express-sight-set-prod16839.aspx

You have to drill a hole for the sight pin and you may have to fit the sight to the slot.
How hard is it to do the install yourself? Taking into consideration, I am handy do it yourself kinda guy BUT have never attempted something like this and don't want to mess up a great pistol. I don't have any issues hitting what I'm aiming at with the stock sight but if its by bedside gun I might want that big ol dot to point at the bad guy.

·
Banned
650 Posts
You may shoot better at night with the Big Dot. I shoot better at night with my tritium sights. Put the dot in the bucket and fire. I also tend to work on fundamental SD shooting at night. I will blast away 100 rounds at night.

I would install the sight with a well equipped drill press. I would be concerned about breaking the bit with a portable drill. You are talking about a half hour labor to have a gunsmith install the sight.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This Big Dot fits both the S&W J series and the SP101. Drive out the roll pin that is holding the Ruger sight in place. you should use a roll pin punch to avoid damaging the end of the roll pin. You will need to file the sides of the insert just a little to fit the Ruger slot. Once the sight fits the slot put the gun in a padded vise and use a sharp 1/16' drill to drill a hole in the front sight. The Big Dot has a small hole in the bottom of the insert so you can drill the hole from EACH side and not from just one side. This gives a better lineup for the hole. Then you can use threadlocker on the sight and the pin (reuse the Ruger sight pin). I just held the sight in place but XS says to use threadlocker first before you use the drill. Drive the pin back into the hole and you are done. It's not hard but just take your time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts