Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, apologies in advance for the blasphemy, but I'm looking at two S&W 686 357s. One is a Talo 3" and the other is a standard 686-6 w/ 4" barrel. I have no experience with a 3" 357, but I have fired the 4" quite a bit and love it. My brain says stay with the 4" I'm comfortable with, while my eyes love the Talo model. Not to mention it would be a tad easier to hide if I went that route.

The 4" was fairly soft with 357 loads, but I'm wondering how much recoil difference there is with the 3" gun. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
That's a real tough call, they are both so nice. I love my 4" GP100 and think it's perfect, but I sure feel the draw of a 3". It would be more concealable. Either way, I would go with the 7 round cylinder vs. the 6 round cylinder.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I can only compare to my 3" SP101, but that is lighter and not a good comparison. I would expect a little more felt recoil, but probably not terrible. It would be nice if you could rent both and test them out before you make a purchase.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have the 4" and 2". There's a noticeable difference in the recoil between those two, but I don't know about the 3". It was so bad that I only shoot .38 out of the 2".

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the Talo 3" 7 shot unfluted cylinder. I assume that is the one you are looking at. I absolutely love it! It is my favorite revolver. Its great for hiking and back packing, I don't even notice I am wearing it. It is also a fun range gun it is very accurate I don't think it is any less accurate than the 4". The trigger is CRISP nicest trigger I have on a revolver.

As far as accuracy and recoil go I find a big difference between 2" and 4" but not between 3" and 4". Recoil is not really bad at all If you are sensitive to recoil you can always shoot the .38s out of it. I have to say again I LOVE this revolver.

Watch Hickock45 youtube review on the talo 3" and he really shows its potential.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
If carried in a belt holster or for general use the 4 inch is my choice. If ccw is contemplated a 3 inch is better. You would not think 1 inch makes a difference but it does.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Talo 3" 7 shot unfluted cylinder. I assume that is the one you are looking at. I absolutely love it! It is my favorite revolver. Its great for hiking and back packing, I don't even notice I am wearing it. It is also a fun range gun it is very accurate I don't think it is any less accurate than the 4". The trigger is CRISP nicest trigger I have on a revolver.

As far as accuracy and recoil go I find a big difference between 2" and 4" but not between 3" and 4". Recoil is not really bad at all If you are sensitive to recoil you can always shoot the .38s out of it. I have to say again I LOVE this revolver.

Watch Hickock45 youtube review on the talo 3" and he really shows its potential.
My sentiments exactly. Could not of said it any better.
Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have both a 4" 686, and a 3" 686+ (the 7-shot), and I don't think you can go too far wrong with either. I have not noticed too much difference in recoil, notwithstanding the extra weight/length of the 4"

Even though a 4" revolver is really nice for all-round use, a 3" may be slightly more versatile, certainly if it's going to be carried. Bear in mind these are both heavy guns, pretty hefty to carry, especially the 4". And there is something about a 3" revolver that strikes a nice balance, bigger than a snub, but not quite as chunky as a 4". A 3" has aethestic balance, as well, at least to my eye (see below.)

So you can see I'm leaning 3", but in the interest of full disclosure, I got the 4" first, then decided I needed the 3", too.

Sorry if not too much help, but there is no wrong answer between these two. Also have a GP100 in 4'', and have recently been lusting after that Wiley Clapp 3" model.

Here's the 4" 686:

And the 3" 686+:

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you decide to go the 3" route finding holster can be difficult but I found the Bianchi accumold fits great and rides nice. You need to get the one that is marked for S&W model 60 3".

SDG380 those are some nice looking revolvers. Here is mine sorry for the bad quality cellphone pic.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I ordered the 3" 686 Talo model with fluted cylinder. Has brown grips. The price difference from my FFL between the 3" fluted and unfluted was crazy. I figured maybe I'd try to find some of those other grips with ".357" on them later. Should be arriving tomorrow, and I can bring her home!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
3" vs 4" .357

Hey gang, apologies in advance for the blasphemy, but I'm looking at two S&W 686 357s. One is a Talo 3" and the other is a standard 686-6 w/ 4" barrel. I have no experience with a 3" 357, but I have fired the 4" quite a bit and love it. My brain says stay with the 4" I'm comfortable with, while my eyes love the Talo model. Not to mention it would be a tad easier to hide if I went that route.

The 4" was fairly soft with 357 loads, but I'm wondering how much recoil difference there is with the 3" gun. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I'll soon be the proud owner of both. I have a S&W 686 in 4" which I love, and after shooting a buddies Wiley Capp 3" GP100, I have one coming from my LGS. I do not notice any difference in recoil between the 3" and 4", but I'm not into "self-punishment" enough to shoot .357 out of a 2":D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I opted for the 3" Talo for now, but I'm planning on buying a 4" at some point, maybe even a used one. I'll post a pic when it's here (same as posted above).

·
Registered
951 Posts
I opted for the 3" Talo for now, but I'm planning on buying a 4" at some point, maybe even a used one. I'll post a pic when it's here (same as posted above).
Then you can get a 5" and then a 6" and then a 2" and then and then and then.
seriously a 3" is a very good balance, short enough for carry yet long enough for accurate shooting.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really like those unfluted guns, but the price he was seeing from the distributor was crazy. The "deluxe" like I got was around $100 less (plus I like the fluting). :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will not be disappointed, I'd be willing to bet you will own it for a very long time, any 686 is like that.

Is this the one? What a looker!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Fluted unfluted their all nice :) I like the unfluted and price was the same at my LGS. But I wouldn't kick the one above to the curb either. That is the one Hickock45 used in his demo.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
J frame Model 60

If you decide to go the 3" route finding holster can be difficult but I found the Bianchi accumold fits great and rides nice. You need to get the one that is marked for S&W model 60 3".

SDG380 those are some nice looking revolvers. Here is mine sorry for the bad quality cellphone pic.

How do you like your Model 60 3" ? I have a 4" 686 that I love, and was going to order a Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100. But I thought why have 2 larger frame .357s, when the little Model 60 in a 3" would fill the niche for a smaller frame better.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts