Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the Hornady table for M1 Garand loads and ordered 500 once used cases of 30-06. Tried seating the bullet 150gr FMJBT 30 cal and once it seats near the cannelure the bullet 'slides' into the case. After a couple passes through the resizing die there is no improvement. What am I missing here? If I am having a dumbas- attack by all means please tell me.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
What bran are the dies .
Have you reloaded 30-06 with them before or is this first time for them .

Can think of two quick things to check .
1.) Diameter of bullet expander ball . If it is oversize the bullet will not be a tight fit .
2.) Bullet diameters too small . Some "inexpensive" bullets are not consistent or undersized and sold cheaply . You usually pay for what you get .

If dies are new the sizer might not be sizing down the neck diameter enough , the die maker should replace them .

Gary

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,034 Posts
The bullets are .308" correct? The cases are going all the way into the full length resizing die? "Several passes" should not be necessary. You should have proper neck tension. Are the dies new? Did you follow the setup instructions? Tell us more about the cases you bought. What head stamp? Where did you buy them?

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dies are Redding Competition. Brass is once shot resized. Bullets are Hornady 150 gr, nothing special.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Did you put a bushing in it?

·
Super Moderator
3,335 Posts
Sorry, can’t delete the post on this app. Started my reply earlier and finally got around to finishing it and looks like the problem is solved so I am taking out my post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't decap on the sizer die. Pulled the pin out of the tip and lowered the pin with the ball lower. Seems to have done the trick. There is no bushing with this die.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,074 Posts
Never had that problem with the 30.06, did see it on 45acp once.

So you are loading for the Garand, I do as well. I use the hornady loads too, it makes a nice more comfortable to shoot rifle than with modern factory 06 ammo. I am using hornady dies, an old set that came in a round container, unlike the new ones in boxes. I am using a 168 sierra hpbt or the 155 sierra palma hpbt in mine, very very accurate. I did install a gas plug to reduce the gas pressure operating the action so I didn't bend the operating rod. But its alot of fun in my october 43 garand. Good luck, and don't smash your thumb putting in the enbloc....although im certain you don't need that advice!:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't decap on the sizer die. Pulled the pin out of the tip and lowered the pin with the ball lower. Seems to have done the trick. There is no bushing with this die.
You removed the decapper pin and it resolved your problem? What changed?

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lowered the sizing bell a bit. Don't know if the neck was getting up inside the top of the die.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Lowered the sizing bell a bit. Don't know if the neck was getting up inside the top of the die.
It’s doesn’t sound like it wasn’t getting up there at all if the neck wasn’t holding a bullet after sizing.

When the pin is removed it’s hard to tell how deep you are.......Just a word of caution, if you get the mandrel to deep the bottom can push out the primer pocket from the inside, it doesn’t take much. A press creates enough leverage that you won’t notice it either. If this happens you will never get a primer to seat properly and there is no “fix” for it. In other words your case is useless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts