Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys now that I have my No. 1S on the way, what factory rounds shoot well from your No. 1 30-06?

I'm thinking of starting out with Hornady Superformance 165 grain SST's.

99% of the time this will be a Whitetail / Hog rifle.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I think that's a great start!

·
Banned
269 Posts
180 Grain bullets I know will stop a deer dead in its tracks. the energy from the bullet knocks the deer over.

that being said I've reloaded with 165 Grain Sierra bullets.

the biggest bullet you can reload is a two hundred and twenty grain.

I've shot some of my reloads I made that were 165 grain and couldn't tell a difference, it shot the same as the 180 grain.

the bigger the bullet, the harder its going to hit the target.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I shoot 165s in my '06 with good results though it's not a No.1. I was asked to try Speer Nitrex 165s which are the only factory ammo I've shot and they were alright nothing to write home about though.

Those Hornadys seem like a good start. I've had very good results,on paper, with W/W Power Points of different calibers. I use them for the brass and break in.

Good luck and enjoy that No.1.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have used Remington 30/06 150 grain and 180 grain with great results hunting, 150 for deer, 180 for elk. I next reloaded Sierra 180 SPBT and got a 1100lb elk at approximately 450 yards with one shot ( I don't discount a very lucky shot but took bragging rights anyway). Now working up a 165 Sierra SPBT load that I hope will do it all now that I don't hunt much at 73 but like to punch holes in targets and hear the metal targets clang... Enjoy your #1! I may be selling mine in the near future, just using another 30/06, lighter weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts