Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a Winchester 94 trapper in 30-30 and a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington I believe that both rifles are the best all-around rifle and caliber, (other than finding 35 Remington ammo). What I was curious about is what is the largest animal every takin with a 30-30 or a 35 Remington either hunting or self-protection.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Ummmmmm, with proper shot placement either is capable of killing ANYTHING.
More to the point would be what parameters would be stretching their capabilities for an ethical kill. Distance involved, conditions involved, ammo being used and the animal's relative physical toughness.
I loves me some 35 REM. Every thing from mild mannered plinker to Moose gun.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummmmmm, with proper shot placement either is capable of killing ANYTHING.
More to the point would be what parameters would be stretching their capabilities for an ethical kill. Distance involved, conditions involved, ammo being used and the animal's relative physical toughness.
I loves me some 35 REM. Every thing from mild mannered plinker to Moose gun.
if you can find them without selling our first born.

·
Registered
949 Posts
if you can find them without selling our first born.
If you are referring to the 35 Rem. it is 100% one that you HAVE to reload for if you are going to shoot it. There is no reliable source for new loaded ammo, period. You can occasionally find old stock and you have to snatch it when you see it.
Brass can be tough but with patience it can be found. Dies are easy as are bullets (for fun shooting you can use the heavier .357 pistol bullets) so accumulate those while you source some brass.
Worth the effort.
30-30 on the other hand may be difficult to find now but will certainly make a comeback. Plus, brass for reloading should be quite easy to lay hands on.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,842 Posts
Both of those calibers have been carried by hunters for many years. They have taken untold numbers of deer and black bear. I am sure many elk and moose have been harvested at reasonable ranges also. Since hunters/trappers have probably had a good number of grizzly encounters while carrying lever actions, there must be documented cases of defensive use against big bears. Native Alaskan hunters are well known for using small calibers for big game. Polar bear are likely to have killed by Inuit hunters with common lever guns. My personal experience is limited to deer and hogs. They are great for that!
Musical instrument Air gun Plant Shotgun Wood

Plant Air gun Trigger Shotgun Wood

·
Registered
949 Posts
Nagashooter , please tell me you did not put the rear sling mount into the plastic bullseye.
Sorry ,,,,I've just had to fix too many like that and you can't replace the plastic thingie any more.
Just a personal campaign against it.

·
Registered
13,835 Posts
My late fathers two prized rifles are his 22-250 and his 35 rem , unfortunately he gave both of those to my brother. He used the 35 rem for deer up in Maine over 50 years ago. I also believe he took it to Canada on his bear bow hunting trips as back up. It definitely is a reloading caliber. I've contemplated offering my brother some $$$ for it. While cleaning out his reloading bench, I found maybe 100 rounds (loaded & unloaded). So, if I did buy it, I'd have some good brass.

Reactions: knifegeak

·
Registered
161 Posts
… If you are referring to the 35 Rem. it is 100% one that you HAVE to reload for if you are going to shoot it. There is no reliable source for new loaded ammo, period. You can occasionally find old stock and you have to snatch it when you see it.…
The .35 Remington has only been produced on limited seasonal runs for many years, it’s typically been tough to find any after hunting season. It is still cataloged and occasionally shows up in some stores, I saw some in Texas last year before hunting season but don’t know how old it was.

As for reloading, that is a good route to go no doubt. I’ve been reloading for my .35s for 40 years, not certain if I ever fired a factory cartridge in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts