Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I posted up here last year that I had found a nice 3 screw at the big Reno show and when I finally got a chance to fire it I had to beat the cases out of the cylinder.

I took it to a gunsmith who polished the cylinder bores... Shot it a month later and same problem.

Took it to another Smith at a shop with an indoor range and left it off with a box of Aguila. He said he wouldn't be able to do anything and that I should send it to Ruger.

So I hesitated a bit, knowing I don't want to convert it, but I do want it right, so I went to the first Smith and had him send it to Ruger. They sent a free call tag and paid shipping both ways. It felt different, but the cylinder looked untouched.

Took it out shooting, same problem. I beat the first 6 out, shot 6 more and left the empties in the cylinder so I could let Ruger beat them out this time!

Called and was told they test fired it with 12 rds and no problem, but they would go ahead and take it back in for a look.

3 weeks later they called my Smith and said they can't fix it. The new cylinders are too different and they are out of the old ones, so they offered to send me a new revolver.

I'm considering asking for a .357 instead of a 30 Carbine. Still not sure what to do actually. I'm bummed I am losing my old 3 screw, it was an early one with a 4 digit serial number.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Another reason not to send a 3-screw back to Ruger! All they did was convert it. I'd do whatever has to be done to get the gun back in its original condition!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Get it back if you can!

This is getting to be way too common a situation with Old Models not being returned from Ruger.

We need to hear from IOWEGAN on the case-sticking situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may be dumb.....have you tried different ammo?
Yes, quite a few different kinds. I have some LC usgi ammo, and I bought a case of Aguilla from CMP. I tried both of those on my first range trip and with both I had to put the tab of the ejector rod against the shooting bench and push to get the spent shells out.

I came home and read some opinions online that others have better luck with reloads so I took my regular load for my carbines and also tried varying charges of another powder (don't recall which one). No improvement :(

I understand all of the replies saying to "get it back" but then what? I'm only in this thing $550 and if I can get a brand new 357 to sell or trade for another 3 screw... I just don't want to be sitting on a revolver that doesn't work.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
So Brian there is no hope to get the cylinder smoothed out just a very very small tad more to see if that would fix your problem??

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well, my first thought was to have the 'smith run chambering reamers into each chamber.

When I get sticky cases its usually due to the fact that the cases have stretched. Do the cases chamber easily when loading? If they have to be pushed in to fully seat, the chambers may either be too short, or fouled at the throat.

In any revolver, cartridges should load easily and fired cases eject readily. Maybe a chamber cast is in order.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my first thought was to have the 'smith run chambering reamers into each chamber.

When I get sticky cases its usually due to the fact that the cases have stretched. Do the cases chamber easily when loading? If they have to be pushed in to fully seat, the chambers may either be too short, or fouled at the throat.

In any revolver, cartridges should load easily and fired cases eject readily. Maybe a chamber cast is in order.

Bob Wright
They loaded pretty easy, never had to push them in. I tried cleaning the heck out of it and the first Smith supposedly polished the chambers. Both times it was the same, and the frustrating part was I usually had to wait a few weeks before I got time to take it to the range and see if what I had done was going to make a difference.
When I picked it up from the Smith after it came back from Ruger, I remember pulling the cylinder and standing at the front door to his shop and looking through the cylinder into the bright sky. I mentioned to him that I could not see any difference in the bores and I wanted to verify they had even looked at that part of it. He said they told him they test fired it so I thought it was fixed.

The lady at customer service told me the same thing too, that they fired 12 rounds of Winchester ammo before shipping it back to me... I just laughed and asked her if they used a mallet to unload it?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry about your difficulties. If it were me I'd get it back and have it rebored or rebarreled and rechambered into a nice .44 Special by one of the custom gunsmiths.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
When Ruger said they test fired with 12 rounds, that's what they did, and that's all they did! Because once it passed that test, they looked no further. I don't know why it worked for them and not for you, but no matter. Get you gun back.

Lots'a possibilities here:

1. Carefully inspect fired cases for a slight tiny bulge that would line up with the cyl notches. If so, the cyl suffered some overloads at some point before you got it. Inspect case rims for sticking in the rim recesses of the chamber mouths.

2. The chambers may have been polished before you got it and the polishing was not done evenly (didn't move in and out) which could have caused some "run-out" (wallows in the chambers) and walls are not straight.

3. The chambers should be checked by having a reamer turned by hand in them. Imperfections, wallows, and dimples under the notches will stand out like turds in a punch bowl.

4. As Bob Wright posted, re-ream the chambers. The original reamer at the factory may have been worn and the chambers are just undersized.

5. If all else fails look for a used old model replacement cyl. They're around on ebay, gunbroker, and the two Ruger forums' classifieds.

6. Get the original cyl reamed to 32-20 and have a convertible.

7. And lastly, look for a new model cyl which can be fitted to an old model but Ruger will not make any, even slight extra fitting to their products. The advantage here is that the new model cylinders have non-recessed chambers and will also shoot the 32-30 cartridge as is.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,120 Posts
No, I don't own any Winchester ammo. Is it special?
Not all ammo is the same. Some of these military cartridges create a struggle when you use them in a non military firearm.

If I recall correctly you said Ruger used Winchester ammo when they tested it. You might go spend a few bucks and try it before you throw it away.

A bad customer service experience with Ruger is very rare.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dumb question #..whatever...are the cylinders now oversized?
Case expanding and not allowing ejecting?
Hanging on a forward portion of the cylinder?
Checked cases after firing, didn't you?

OK, its probably something else....right?

·
Registered
396 Posts
"7. And lastly, look for a new model cyl which can be fitted to an old model but Ruger will not make any, even slight extra fitting to their products. The advantage here is that the new model cylinders have non-recessed chambers and will also shoot the 32-30 cartridge as is."

Tell me more about shooting 32-20 in the new mdl. cyl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts