Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm assembling an AR style rifle in 300 Blackout for hunting hogs here in Florida. I've put together a few AR style rifles in 5.56 but this is the first rifle I've assembled in 300 Blackout.
I have the parts for the upper assembly in the mail headed my way right now. Once assembled I'm just going to put the upper on an existing lower I already have finished but will eventually assemble a lower receiver for this project; using a lot of existing left over parts and some stuff specifically for this project.

One thing I always emphasize in my builds is an efficiency of weight and performance. I'm not one of those guys that likes to go to the range and put my big heavy rifle in a ransom rest and shoot at static targets. I enjoy using my rifle in dynamic skills drills and training. While this project rifle is for hunting and not self defense, I still want a relatively light handy rifle that can be carried all day and easily shot offhand if necessary. I will update and post pictures as the project progresses.
The handguard and Charging handle I already have from a previous project that they d8dnt work with. Here's the parts list of items I've already bought for the upper assembly:
Font Tool Tints and shades Rectangle Writing implement

· Registered
561 Posts
300BLK is an interesting animal. Subsonic to super with lots of 308 bullets to choose from. If you every want to mess with subsonic in an AR style rifle, you might want to get an adjustable gas block. If not, you can still mess with buffer springs to get cycling using subsonic rounds (especially without silencer).

Here's a 300blk web site that has lots of info. A poster named dellet is very knowledgeable.

Spent many hours experimenting with using: not building though.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My barrel, gas block, gas tube, dust cover and forward assist were supposed to arrive Saturday but got delayed and I learned today that USPS does not deliver on the Monday after Christmas if Christmas falls in a Sunday. AGGH!
I assume I'll receive the parts tomorrow, can complete the assembly of the upper and I will post photos.

· Registered
27 Posts
Just curious.Why not the 300 HAM’R.

Don’t get me wrong, I birthed myself on the 300 Whisper many moons ago. I have been using my 300 BLK- J.D. Hogg - successfully for a few years now, But it is a close range affair. The 300 HAM’R will do everything the 300 BLK will do with 110 through 155 grain bullets and do it some 300 feet faster. Quite the improvement. The only thing the 300:BLK does better is suppressed.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious.Why not the 300 HAM’R.

Don’t get me wrong, I birthed myself on the 300 Whisper many moons ago. I have been using my 300 BLK- J.D. Hogg - successfully for a few years now, But it is a close range affair. The 300 HAM’R will do everything the 300 BLK will do with 110 through 155 grain bullets and do it some 300 feet faster. Quite the improvement. The only thing the 300:BLK does better is suppressed.
I looked into 300 HAM'R when I was first looking at parts for this build. I wound up going with 300 BLK because of ammunition availibilty and cost. For me and what I want to do with my rifle the increase in velocity of 300 HAM'R was not enough to outweigh the availibilty and projectile selection of 300 BLK. For now at least. I love assembling AR'S and if 300 HAM'R becomes more popular I can see myself building an Upper in that chambering.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK here is the finished upper. I put it on an existing lower I had assembled. I used a MagPul Fixed Carbine stock and a Hogue overmolded rubber grip.
I decided not to use the Breek Arms Warhammer charging handle because it rubs too much when charging the bolt. Maybe it's out of spec. In it's place I used a Presma charging handle. Other than that everything is the same as I listed.
The LuthAR handguard has a comfortable round shape and feels great. It's called the LoDrag Palm handguard and is designed to be really comfortable in the hand at the expense of rail space for accesories. However, there is a row of MLOK at the 10 and 2 positon. As well as on the bottom if I need to add a bipod.
The Breek Arms flash hider has outside threads for a flash can or suppressor.
The cheap LPVO is just a place holder. I'll use it this week when I test the rifle at the range but I haven't yet decided on an optic.
Oh and I used a Strike Industries Enhanced bolt catch. It's just a little bit bigger on both ends of the paddle and makes it easier to manipulate with gloved hands.
Blue Textile Sleeve Wood Electric blue
Blue Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Electric blue
Blue Textile Sleeve Rectangle Tartan
Blue Textile Rectangle Line Electric blue
Blue Azure Office supplies Font Electric blue

· Super Moderator
7,024 Posts
I built an ar rifle in .300 blackout. So far, I have only run it with subsonics, but then again, I built it to be suppressed, and for that purpose it has been great. Always figured if I wanted to go supersonic, I have a handful of 7.62x39’s for that purpose. I built mine on a side charging upper under the idea (which I have never done) that if I ever want to go really quiet, I can close off the gas system and run it like a straight pull bolt action. Mine has an ACOG optic, Wilson combat adjustable gas block, Shilen 16” barrel, Mideast industries carbine-length handguard and Magpul UBR stock. Add the Rugged Suppressor and honestly, it is my favorite AR to shoot.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I built an ar rifle in .300 blackout. So far, I have only run it with subsonics, but then again, I built it to be suppressed, and for that purpose it has been great. Always figured if I wanted to go supersonic, I have a handful of 7.62x39’s for that purpose. I built mine on a side charging upper under the idea (which I have never done) that if I ever want to go really quiet, I can close off the gas system and run it like a straight pull bolt action. Mine has an ACOG optic, Wilson combat adjustable gas block, Shilen 16” barrel, Mideast industries carbine-length handguard and Magpul UBR stock. Add the Rugged Suppressor and honestly, it is my favorite AR to shoot.
How do you like the UBR stock? Would you recommend it?

· Registered
27 Posts
I looked into 300 HAM'R when I was first looking at parts for this build. I wound up going with 300 BLK because of ammunition availibilty and cost. For me and what I want to do with my rifle the increase in velocity of 300 HAM'R was not enough to outweigh the availibilty and projectile selection of 300 BLK. For now at least. I love assembling AR'S and if 300 HAM'R becomes more popular I can see myself building an Upper in that chambering.
I have never shot any factory loads out of either my 300 BLK or my 300 HAM’R. The beauty of reloading, I have enough 223 cases to keep me in 300 BLK / HAM’R for the rest of my life.

· Registered
1 Posts
I built my .300 BLK about 10 years ago for deer and hogs in SC. I got a Silencerco Omega 300 for it about 4 years ago.
The 190 grain Hornady Subsonics are super quiet, but I’m not really stoked with their performance on deer. They sure do drop even the biggest hogs with a shot behind the ear though.
I really like the Barnes Vor-Tx 110 grainers. Accuracy is outstanding in my rifle and I can’t remember ever needing a follow up shot with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts