Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't do a lot of long range shooting, which I why I don't have a rifle chambered for the 300 mag, but if I did I definitely would. It is an excellent long range round, often used by military snipers and big game hunters. Packs a punch and has a flat trajectory even in high winds. Its not quite equal to a 338 but its close enough and a much less expensive. SO the Win 300 mag is my favorite long range round. I just don't have much use for it at the moment since I'm not a competition shooter and I don't shoot that far when I hunt.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Not sure about the purpose of your post but I do agree with all your arguments for having one.
If you ever get one, make sure you have a good recoil pad like limbsaver and /or a muzzle brake, they do kick.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I don't do a lot of long range shooting, which I why I don't have a rifle chambered for the 300 mag, but if I did I definitely would. It is an excellent long range round, often used by military snipers and big game hunters. Packs a punch and has a flat trajectory even in high winds. Its not quite equal to a 338 but its close enough and a much less expensive. SO the Win 300 mag is my favorite long range round. I just don't have much use for it at the moment since I'm not a competition shooter and I don't shoot that far when I hunt.
while not the round I favor, there can be no doubt that the 300 Win Mag is an exceptionally capable cartridge .... if a person could only have one rifle, it would be one to consider ....it is extremely versatile and can take any critter that walks on the North American Continent and on most other Continents as well

"In his book, Kyle said, “I used the .300 Win Mag for most of my kills. It’s an excellent all-around cartridge, whose performance allows for superb accuracy as well as stopping power. The .300 is a little heavier gun by design. It shoots like a laser. Anything from 1,000 yards and out, you’re just plain nailing it. And on closer targets, you don’t have to worry about too much correction for your come-ups. You can dial in your 500 yard dope and still hit a target from 100-700 yards without worrying too much about making minute adjustments.” "

taken from this link

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have two 300Win mag rifles, one a stainless/laminated and one blued walnut (both 77mk11 left hand) and both have been Magnaported and had Timney triggers and Pachmayer decelerator pads fitted. I have used both extensively in Australia, New Zealand and southern Africa and have taken many animals using a varying bullet weights. In recent times I have found the Hornady SST projectiles very good on most of our game. In Tasmania we only have Fallow deer and I find the 125gr SST's very good with excellent results.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have two 300Win mag rifles, one a stainless/laminated and one blued walnut (both 77mk11 left hand) and both have been Magnaported and had Timney triggers and Pachmayer decelerator pads fitted.
thanks for mentioning the modifications you've made .... would you please comment on the resulting degree of decrease in felt recoil .... in addition to installing a mercury recoil suppressor in the stocks, we made the same mods .... doing so turned rifles that hurt to shoot into ones that are a pleasure to shoot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.