Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently purchased the above rifle for princely sum of $230.00 otd with 2 boxes of Sellier & Bellot ammo. Note the gun was made around 1950, and is in really good shape. The lands and grooves look like they are really sharp, and there is no rust or pitting any where on that rifle. The muzzle looks like it has had a very professional crown put on it's 25" barrel. The full stocked wood is in very good shape, and I don't believe it has been refinished, along with the metal increments.

Took it out and shot it Saturday, off hand at 50 yards, at my private range, and it shot fairly good using the 150 grain bullets I was given. (3"X4" groups) I might add I was as steady as a leaf in hurricane. Will have to bench rest the rifle to see how accurate it might be say at 100 yards or further. I did order some 174 grain .311 bullets and RCBS dies after shooting 20 rounds. The recoil was very gentle, compared to my 45-70, and did not affect my inaccuracy, too many cups of coffee. Anyway below is my British Enfield. Please note the bolt and the receiver serial numbers match, however the magazine isn't even close.

DSCN1457.JPG

DSCN1458.JPG

DSCN1460.JPG

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats, that is a good looking rifle!

I don't have one, but a guy at the range I belong to let me shoot his. Sweet rifle, but it is heavy. I would have to do some upper body work to shoot one on a regular basis. :D

Glad you enjoy it and keep having fun with it.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
821 Posts
Recently purchased the above rifle for princely sum of $230.00 otd with 2 boxes of Sellier & Bellot ammo. Note the gun was made around 1950, and is in really good shape. The lands and grooves look like they are really sharp, and there is no rust or pitting any where on that rifle. The muzzle looks like it has had a very professional crown put on it's 25" barrel. The full stocked wood is in very good shape, and I don't believe it has been refinished, along with the metal increments.

Took it out and shot it Saturday, off hand at 50 yards, at my private range, and it shot fairly good using the 150 grain bullets I was given. (3"X4" groups) I might add I was as steady as a leaf in hurricane. Will have to bench rest the rifle to see how accurate it might be say at 100 yards or further. I did order some 174 grain .311 bullets and RCBS dies after shooting 20 rounds. The recoil was very gentle, compared to my 45-70, and did not affect my inaccuracy, too many cups of coffee. Anyway below is my British Enfield. Please note the bolt and the receiver serial numbers match, however the magazine isn't even close.

View attachment 23317

View attachment 23318

View attachment 23319
Looks like you got yourself a nice Fazakerly No4mk2. Mine is about 4 years newer and a bit more on the blonde side.

They're heavy beasts, but dead on accurate.

Sounds like you got it at a decent price, too.

Good luck with it.

Aqualung

PS. Here's a photo of mine with the matching bayonet:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man Aqualung, that is really a beauty, I'm not really familiar with those types of rifles. I kind of fell into the one I bought, but I won't bore you folks with the details.

I just ordered dies and .311 174 grain bullets for it, so I plan on keeping it for awhile. Will take it out with my bench here once I get started developing a load it likes. The ones I shot were 150grn., the little bit of research I did indicated it prefers the 174 grain jacketed soft point BT. Anyway I'll keep ya all posted, once I get the dies. I also cast bullets and do believe I can cast for a .311 diameter bullet, will have to check my casting equipment.

I'll tell ya one thing that rifle is very heavy, probably part of my initial accuracy problems. I appreciate all the positive feedback on that rifle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a number of SMLE rifles dating from 1918 to 1965. The number 4 is a great rifle and the best rifle of the SMLE family. The 1965 rifle was made in India and is chambered in .308 and has a 12 round magazine.
Both of the number 4s look great. I just saw one in a LGS for $799. While it is over priced $230 OTD is a great price. These aren't target rifles but you should be able to get sub 2" groups at 100 yards. Good Luck.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
821 Posts
My load for it uses .311 180 grain Sierra SP spitzers and 180 grain Speer SPRN.

One thing you'll find is that if you neck size only, you'll get more mileage out of your brass. The Enfields have notoriously large chambers. That said, I shoot so seldom and have two Enfields to feed, so I do full length resize when I reload.

My pet load that both my No4MK2 and No5MK1 ("Jungle Carbine") like is as follows:
Remington brass
Winchester LRP or CCI 200 LRP
38.0 grains H4895
180 grain Speer round nose SP
Or 180 grain Sierra spitzer SP

I tried loads with Hornady 150 grain Spitzer SP (.312in) in my No5. The No5 either doesn't like the 150 grain bullets or the .312 diameter. I couldn't get a good group out of any of my loads. Didn't try them in my No4.

Enough rambling for now, I reckon.

Again, Nice rifle and good luck with it.

Aqualung

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aqualung, I just ordered some 174 grain boat tail for my rifle, which I believe has the 4 lands and grooves. I also have several different types of powder that is supposed to be adequate, according to the Lyman 49th Edition, including the IMR4895. I'm hoping my dies and bullets get here by this weekend, as I'm anxious to get out to my range and try them out. Also have two different types of Large Rifle primers, that may or not make much of a difference. I do believe I ordered the full length resizing dies from RCBS, via Midway.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nice. I see Enfields come for auction from time to time. Some are in great shape and some . . .

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
821 Posts
Aqualung, I just ordered some 174 grain boat tail for my rifle, which I believe has the 4 lands and grooves. I also have several different types of powder that is supposed to be adequate, according to the Lyman 49th Edition, including the IMR4895. I'm hoping my dies and bullets get here by this weekend, as I'm anxious to get out to my range and try them out. Also have two different types of Large Rifle primers, that may or not make much of a difference. I do believe I ordered the full length resizing dies from RCBS, via Midway.
You'll do well with the 174s. I have a Load books USA manual for the .303 with lots of powders...have fun with the loads.

The primers shouldn't make drastic differences.

You probably did get the full-length dies. However, you can adjust the sizer to just resize the neck. However, you're probably be better off going full-length sizing while working up your loads.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Feel free to pm me with any questions, though I'm far from an authority.

Aqualung

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I've been wanting one for years. Syou have sitirred up that desire again and there is a nearby guns how this weekend. ��

·
Registered
774 Posts
My 1954 FAZ No.4 Mk2 with all matching serial numbers on the rifle as well as the magazine, bayonet and sheath.

The serial number puts it in the "Irish Contract" block of rifles.

I purchased it back in the 1990s for just under $100.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blackhawk, that is a great deal, I'm just happy that my bolt and receiver is matching. Still waiting for my dies and bullets to get here. Can you imagine what they'd get for that rifle with the matching serial numbers today?:)

·
Registered
774 Posts
There were a lot of them on the market back then, available still in the wrapper for under $200. Mine may have been an "unwrapped" piece since it doesn't appear to have been fired very much, if at all. I have several Enfield shooters so this one is a safe queen.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Nice rifle. I had one in the 1970's. It was very accurate. But I got rid of it after it went off twice while carrying it slung on my shoulder in deer season. The safety was kinda spring loaded and the slightest bump would release it and the rifle would go bang. Something was obviously wrong with it. I traded it to a local gunsmith for an 1903 Springfield.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts