Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any collected data on what weight ammo the RGSR
likes best? I read somewhere that most test show 15% above
common weight is average on the most common calibers.
I would think that the short 16" barrel on the RGSR would
like the normal 150gr or less. Going to gun show soon to
bulk up on .308. Most likely FMJ BT and something tipped
that expands well. Thanks folks!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
"Favorite" ammo varies from particular gun to particular gun. Your gun might do great where your buddies gun won't hit a barn with the same box.

If you're trying to find out what you RGSR likes best you'll just have to try a bunch and keep notes.

Good Shooting!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think that you might give the 162 gr a try It was the best I ever shot in my 308, it was ap and now probably not avail

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got 1/2 MOA out of my GSR with Fed AE "M1A" 168gr OTM rounds. I used M118 LR military ammo and got just under 1 MOA.

Hornady superformance 179gr AMAX -1 MOA, but would not extract. Same problem with the 168gr Horandy. Anyone else have extraction problems with Horandy?

I also tryed Win 150gr SuperX soft points, Fed power point 150gr, and Win 150gr E-tips. 1 1/2-2 MOA on all them.

My scope is a Burris posi-lock 3-7 long eye relief. It is made for handguns, but works just fine.

I will try to build a recipe to match the Fed M1A ammo, but if anyone has a good one I will try it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I like the Hornady SST bullet as used in the Super Performance factory loads, but the box I tried ( 165 gr.) did not group that well in my rifle. I bought some of the same 165 gr. SST's and loaded them in my Winchester brass with H4895 powder. I got under 1 moa accuracy at a bit under maximum. The charge I used chronographed at 2525 fps. out of the 16" barrel, about 125 fps. less than the factory loads, but much tighter groups. If you are limited to factory loads , you will just have to try several types. The Federal match loads mentioned by rescuerigger would be worth a try. Walmart has W-W Power Points in 150 and 180 gr. for around $18 a box, so less than a buck a round is a decent price. They shot well out of my GSR, just not as well as the handloads that were tailored to my particular rifle. The 150 grainers are good for deer, antelope and similar size game, 180 gr. for elk. I have always liked 165 grains as a compromise, they have some of the flatness of a 150 and the extra weight of a 180 grain. A good 165 grain boattail, will arrive at longer range with more energy and less drop than any 150 grain, even though the starting velocity is less, due to increased ballistic co-efficient. This will not be evident, however, until the range gets beyond 300 yards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the data guys.

I traded my scout to a friend for the new XDS he bought. I was struggling
with the whole right handed bolt thing. I'm a lefty who is left eye dominant.
I though I'd try and learn to use a right hand bolt. Not working so I'm gonna
get a lefty bolt scout. The problem now is with all the hysteria. I can't get one.
I wish someone made a lefty bullpup as well. Us lefties have limited choices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts