Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wet weather kept me from setting up my normal rifle range. I drove an hour to the range at Wilson Shoals WMA to test my new Savage at 100yds. I also took my T/C Compass .243 to shoot between groups with the .308 Axis. I spent 2 hours enjoying quality time with my rifles. It was a great morning and the guns worked well. Unfortunately neither rifle printed any groups to brag about. The T/C is a known quantity and regularly shoots tight groups, but not so much yesterday. My target was in the shade on a sunny morning which might have affected my groups. The .308 Win ammo I was shooting was given to me by a friend. It was hunting loads his father in law hunted with in the 80's and 90's. It was all loose rounds that I separated by headstamp then weighed. I had three types of 180gr ammo: Remington Core Lokt, Remington Bronze Point, and Winchester Silver Tip. The Bronze Point loads did the best printing a 5 shot group of just over an inch. The Core-Lokt stuff was 2nd best as it did 3 shots just under an inch. The Silver Tip loads were consistent at about 1.5 moa. Nothing special, but hopefully good enough to take a couple of deer this season. The trigger kit from mcarbo has settled in and after firing 30 rounds yesterday is breaking at a consistent 1lb 14oz pull. I will soon start loading Hornady 165gr Interlock BTSP bullets over Varget to see what I can get from Axis accuracy wise. I will keep you updated. Happy shooting y'all!
Corded phone Telephone Telephony Font Office equipment
Bicycle tire Font Circle Recreation Rim
Handwriting Font Pen Office supplies Remote control
White Organ Black Automotive tire Font
Font Office supplies Handwriting Art Line
Calculator Font Wood Office equipment Gadget

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havn't shot my M1a since doing some work on it, but I would be satisfied with those 100 yd groups, LOL. I can understand expecting better out of a bolt gun..
I have two old Savage 110 rifles that are completely stock. No bedding in the wooden stocks and factory triggers (pre- Accu Trigger). The .270 will shoot into an inch with 130gr Core Lokt ammo. The .30-06 will shoot my 165gr handloads into 1.5" at 200yds. I have high hopes for this Axis.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
I have good days at the range + next trip have entirely different results. Same rifle, same ammo, no excuse, just lousy shootin. In your case I'd say ammo for sure. But, correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't you measure from ctr to ctr of the 2 widest shots? In the pics it look like you're using outside to outside + I don't think others are doin the same. That'll bring your number down considerably w/o firin a shot. Love those two calibers BTW!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
If I was a deer, I would avoid your stand area.

I am fine with anything 1moa or less. I shoot Corelokt a lot in my 30-06's and prefer 150 grains (165 as a second choice). Probably have 15 boxes in the locker.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have good days at the range + next trip have entirely different results. Same rifle, same ammo, no excuse, just lousy shootin. In your case I'd say ammo for sure. But, correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't you measure from ctr to ctr of the 2 widest shots? In the pics it look like you're using outside to outside + I don't think others are doin the same. That'll bring your number down considerably w/o firin a shot. Love those two calibers BTW!
Some days are definitely better than others. I measure from the outside edges and subtract the bullet diameter (thus the calculator in the pics) to get the ctc measurement. I'm a big fan of the .30-06 and .270 on the longer case. I'm liking the .308 and .243 for short action rounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts