Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the .308 Marlin Express has been out for a few years now, wondering if anyone on this site owns the rifle/caliber combo and what they think of it. I'm not looking to buy one (at least not in the near future) but out of curiousity I started reading about it yesterday. Like many I have an interest in lever guns even though I've never owned one (shot my uncles old Marlin 336 and enjoyed it), and know the .30-30 is very lacking for anything larger than whitetail. I like the idea of .308 power in a lever action and think it'd be a good choice for an all around rifle for critters up to elk, but how has the reloading world taken to the .308 Marlin Express? Anyone providing bullets of various weights, powder, cases, etc. for the round yet besides Hornady? Not looking to replace my .270 bolt gun anytime soon but the guns could always use more company in the safe. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have not used the .308 Marlin Express for hunting, but I think you under value the Marlin 336 in .30-30 with Hornaday Leverevolution ammo. I use the 160 gr. and it drops 200-300 lb pigs to at least 200 yds. If you need more gun then that may I suggest the Marlin X7 in .30-06. This is my dedicated anything gun for North America. And no I have no plans to hunt large bears, as I have not found any good recipes. I would enjoy reading comments from anyone who finds the .30-30 and .30-06 inadequate for North American game minus the large bears.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the .30-30 has taken many deer and other game since it was introduced and I'm sure Hornady's new ammo makes it a better round, but would it be sufficient for taking down elk? I never plan to go bear hunting either, but pronghorn, hogs, and elk are on my wishlist. I have the .270 which would handle anything I care to take, and I'll be the first to admit it's on the light side for elk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts