Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifle. I am trying to decide what grain bullets to use and also the powder. Does anyone have any suggestions. Wanting to shoot out to 500 yds possibly farther. Also boat tail or flat base. Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Most guns show a preference for certain bullets. Yours might like 150, 168, 180 grain, etc. But you can't go wrong with Sierra 168 grain boat tail HPs. They are the most accurate bullet I have ever used in the .308.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've had real good luck with 168 grn. Hornaday AMax's, Varget and Federal match primers.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Since you said your rifle is a varmint model I would suggest a varmint weight bullet. Hornady and Sierra both make 110gr thin jacket bullets for this purpose. You will be able to load them faster and therefore they will shoot flatter at longer ranges. That is if you are shooting varmints!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got the same gun you do and I believe it has 1 in 10 twist rifling. The best load I've found in mine is 46 grains of Varget and the Sierra 168 HPBT Match bullet with CCI Benchrest primer. I've tried everything from 110 to 180 grain bullets and the above load is the best. It duplicates the Federal Gold Medal Match ammo at 2735 fps. As usual, reduce 10% and work up in your gun. Have fun, it's a great gun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.