Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first .327 FM a 3 inch barreled Ruger SP101 mfg 2008 NIB unfired. Just wanting to throw out 2 questions here. Wondering if I was to purchase a set of pistol reloading dies say RCBS if the .32 H&R Magnum dies can be used for the .327 FM?? Kinda the same thoughts as with my .38 Special reloading dies can be adjusted to load .357 magnums thru as well! I probably have answered my own question but hey I would appreciate any comments and thoughts as well. Another question here is there some common reloading powders that work with .357/.38 Special that will also adapt and work with .327FM/.32H&R Mag as well?? Again thanks for any ideas and feedback!!!:D;)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
No need for special dies. Any 32 H&R die will load 327FM. You might want to change expanders depending upon what bullet you use for either, but the 32H&R dies will work fine.

I shoot H110/W296 out of my 32H&R's and 327's. Pretty hard to go wrong with that if you're looking for a lot of heat. Unique and Bullseye make sufficient low power loads. A couple buddies use TB and are happy with it for pip-squeak loads in 32's, but I don't tend to play enough with light loads to warrant buying TB anymore.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just about any 32 dies will work. one note is that if you order up some starline brass you will need a 32 acp expander as there brass is thicker and can cause problems. I went with lymans set that does 32 acp thru 32 H&R mag and they work great for all of my 32's and 327. I normally use RCBS dies but decided to try these for the multiple caliber ability they offer and I have been very satisfied with them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I use Lee 32 H&R die for reloading the 327. I have used 296, Lil'gun, AA#5, and True Blue with good success. As for bullets Rainier makes a 100 grain plated one that I prefer and can be had from Midway. I shoot some hard cast SWCs but prefer the plated bullets.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I use Lee 32 H&R die for reloading the 327. I have used 296, Lil'gun, AA#5, and True Blue with good success. As for bullets Rainier makes a 100 grain plated one that I prefer and can be had from Midway. I shoot some hard cast SWCs but prefer the plated bullets.
I believe you will exceed the velocity limit suggested for plated bullets. I recall 1200 fps but ICBW.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I load my 327 FM with Lee 32 H&R dies and they work fine. I think that you will find that any powder you use for 357 Mag loads will work fine for 327 FM. 296, H110, 2400, AA#9 etc for full power loads and any medium burning powder for Mid range loads, and any fast burning powder for light target loads.:)

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,120 Posts
If it's a newer set of dies, they should be fine. I had some problems with an older set coming up short when full length sizing. I drilled it out from the top deep enough to clear the narrow spot, polished it, and used a separate decapper. I don't know if it was a manufacturing flaw, or intentional. I do remember they had a .32 H&R sticker overtop a 32 S&W S/L sticker.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
at liberty....I called Rainier direct and was told you could run their 32s up to 1500 FPS without any problems.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
at liberty....I called Rainier direct and was told you could run their 32s up to 1500 FPS without any problems.
Thanks. That's good to know. Here is a quote from Berry's:

We guarantee our Standard Bullets to handle velocities up to 1,250 fps, and up to 1,500 fps for the bullets designated as TP (thick plated).

They have other comments about specific calibers.

I would have to say I have a concern about the context of Rainiers 1500 fps. What 32 exactly?

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I was doing research 3/4 years ago for the same question, I was told there was one die manufacturer, Dillon I think, that 32 H&R dies could not be used on 327. It seems there is a little extra mass of material in the 327 cases down around the head for added pressure that the 32 H&R doesn't have, thusly the sizing die would not seat fully. No problem with the rest of the set, only the sizer.

I ended up getting Lee dies, along with a Lee single stage press. I love to set and go thru the reloading process slowly. I'm more for the quality time spent reloading than I am of quantity.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok looks like the Lee .32 H&R Dies will work will the universal she'll holder work with my RCBS JR press?? Wow my thx for all the comments much appreciated!!!:D;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts