Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it to the range to tryout some of my reloads. Three different .32 H&R magnum loads I put together and the Federal factory load.
The 3 different reloads I built have 4.0 grains of Unique postal powder and Starline brass casings.

All 4 loads functioned well with no problems and the single action revolver used was the Ruger Bisley model #06538 New Model Single-Six with a 6.5 inch barrel. The 3 different reloads had light recoil, burnt clean and seem to be equal with accuracy at 30 feet away. The Federal round was also equal in accuracy but had a bit more recoil and showed signs of a little powder residue on the gun. But not as bad compared some other factory loads I tried.

My eyes could be considered a handicap and my shooting position is resting my elbows on a platform while free holding the revolver. Your marksmanship could possibly do better so feel free to express any advice or experience.

1st pic: Barry’s 32 cal 71 gr round nose. (hand load)

2nd pic and probably the best: Sierra 32mag 90 gr JHP. (hand load)

3rd pic: Hornady 32 cal 85 gr XTP. (hand load)

4th pic: Federal 32 h&r magnum 85 gr JHP. (factory load)

5th pic: Ruger Bisley New Model Single-Six.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice handloads! In my aging shaky hands, I would have accepted any of them.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Nice GunsmokeSam. I would take the Sierra and the Hornady and fine tune the powder weight a couple tenths in each direction. One or both groups may tighten up a little more.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
interesting report ... would love to have a 32 h&r mag ...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overall I am happy with all the hand loads and was even happier they all went bang, lol. I sure would like come up with some shooting sticks or something I can rest the revolver on to get better results. The after market front post sight from Fermin Garza did help a lot and I can actually see it better than the original front sights that come from the factory. I would recommend to anyone with older eyes to give them a try.
The Sierra and Hornady bullets came with the bulk purchase I made for all the reloading equipment and this was the first try with the Sierra bullets.
Notice how different the Hornady and Federal round shot considering they are pretty much the same cartridge. The JHP bullets on them are both 85 gr and look identical. Guess it must be the difference in powder used.
Thanks for all the suggestions from all, I’m sure I’ll eventually venture out of my comfort zone and start trying different powders and loads.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I like the Acme 78 gr. coated LRN bullets instead of the 71 gr. Berrys. To me has better accuracy. Shoot in my SP-101 327 fed. mag. ,my SS single six 32 hr and my Charter Arms undercoverette(hate that name). Usually use W=231/hp-38 or Univ. Seems less smokey than Unique to me. Shoot indoors so possibly a factor. Love 32 H&R.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the Acme 78 gr. coated LRN bullets instead of the 71 gr. Berrys. To me has better accuracy. Shoot in my SP-101 327 fed. mag. ,my SS single six 32 hr and my Charter Arms undercoverette(hate that name). Usually use W=231/hp-38 or Univ. Seems less smokey than Unique to me. Shoot indoors so possibly a factor. Love 32 H&R.
Thanks for the tip about the 78 gr Acme bullet. I’m really wanting a heavier round nose bullet than the Barry’s 71 gr. Was actually looking for a round nose plated bullet in the 85 to 90 gr size. The few suppliers that I have bought from in the past didn’t have any in stock. But I’d be willing to try the 78 gr Acme bullet. Would you happen to know who has them in stock?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just buy them online from Acme bullet in Wisc. They come in a cute wooden box. I use them in most everything I reload for just target shooting as shoot in an indoor range. acmebullet.com

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just buy them online from Acme bullet in Wisc. They come in a cute wooden box. I use them in most everything I reload for just target shooting as shoot in an indoor range. acmebullet.com
Thanks, I’ll check them out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
No problem, good shooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beautiful Revolver..

Thanks for sharing your loads and experience.

I think the 32 caliber cartridges are a great platform.
Mouse farts in the 32 S&W shorts up to the 327 Federal and everything in between. I have 'numerous' (too many if you ask the Mrs.) revolvers in 32 H&R and 327 Federal.

I chose this platform for it's versatility and so that Mrs. T can shoot comfortably. We both carry self defense loads but plink frequently with the light loads.

I picked up, many years ago, a old Martini cadet that had been re chambered to 32 Winchester Special. I'm now thinking I might want to have a chamber insert made to accommodate a 327 / 32 H&R case... Hummm?

Anyone out there done such a thing?

TIA

RJ

·
Registered
118 Posts
My standard load for the .32 H & R mag is a Hornady 85 gr XTP JHP over 4.4 grains of Unique. Shoots very well in my Ruger single six with 6 1/2" barrel.

Thanks for sharing your report and the pictures.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m enjoying everything about the .32 caliber. I’m now itching for a lever action in the same caliber. Henry has got some options chambered in the 327 federal magnum. Just not sure weather to get the 16 or 20 inch barrel. Anyone have any suggestions?

Currently loading with 4 grains of Unique pistol powder in the .32 H&R magnum. Do y’all know if increasing the powder load would change up the groupings and possibly tighten then up?

Thanks for the replies and sharing your experiences.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts