Ruger Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just bought an ‘85 Single-Six in .32 H&R. Waiting while it’s being shipped to my dealer. I’ve also got dies and brass inbound.

I don’t imagine it’s any more difficult to load for than any other straight-walled revolver cartridge.

Just tagging here for info.
You’ll like it if your wanting to shoot something on the milder side and thats more than a 22 magnum.
Been using 4.0 gr. of Unique powder and had the best accuracy with the Sierra .312 diameter 90 gr. JHC bullets so far.
I’m new to hand loading but seem to have gotten the hang of it. I was told to just keep doing steps 1-2-3-4 and I would be okay. And yes being a revolver cartridge I was told is probably the easiest to learn and do.
Good luck with it. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
No, there are no particular complications with loading the cartridge. I have loaded and fired many thousands. I typically pick a weather bound weekend, have a John Wayne marathon, and work away. Very rarely do I load less than 500 at a time.

I prefer "cowboy" loads with trail boss. Like any other cartridge, it benefits from a slight bell on the case mouth when loading lead bullets - even more so with "soft" lead alloys.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have one exactly like Steve51 has, serial # 650-238xx, I think it's from the early 90's. They are a lot of fun. re-loading is the way to go with these, ammo can be expensive.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Love those 32's

bought my first SSM(single six magnum) in 1985(4 5/8"), second one in 2000(6 1/2") and my third in 2017(a used 5 1/2") Recently got a lipseys special Bisely 6 1/2. Although not a full catalog item , the 32 H&R in the Single six will get a periodic run, from time to to time.
Being a full fledged 32 nut, I also have every single seven model as well. I must say the 32 H&R SSM is by far my favorite to shoot, the seven is a bit heavier. Unfortunately the load books don't have a "Ruger Only" section for the 32 H&R like they do for 45 Colt. 21,000 psi is far too enemic for the SSM . I suggest some back issues of "handloader" especially those by Brian Pearce, will get one started.
I use the 32 H&R as my go to on the ranch, as it gets the job done. without a loud report, excessive blast, and no appreciable recoil. It's useful in my Henry carbine as well, and pushes 2000 fps with a 100 gr XTP.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
bought my first SSM(single six magnum) in 1985(4 5/8"), second one in 2000(6 1/2") and my third in 2017(a used 5 1/2") Recently got a lipseys special Bisely 6 1/2. Although not a full catalog item , the 32 H&R in the Single six will get a periodic run, from time to to time.
Being a full fledged 32 nut, I also have every single seven model as well. I must say the 32 H&R SSM is by far my favorite to shoot, the seven is a bit heavier. Unfortunately the load books don't have a "Ruger Only" section for the 32 H&R like they do for 45 Colt. 21,000 psi is far too enemic for the SSM . I suggest some back issues of "handloader" especially those by Brian Pearce, will get one started.
I use the 32 H&R as my go to on the ranch, as it gets the job done. without a loud report, excessive blast, and no appreciable recoil. It's useful in my Henry carbine as well, and pushes 2000 fps with a 100 gr XTP.
From one full fledged 32 nut to another, good to hear you like the Henry lever action. I got the big boy 327/32 on order and should have it by this coming Monday. I’m looking forward to trying my 32 h&r hand loads in it. But have you shot the 327 federal magnums out of it? If so is one more accurate than the other? I also chose the 20 inch barrel over the 16.5 inch.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts