Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 45/8" barreled SS .32 in an estate. It has a problem. Sometimes the action locks completely up. Hammer won't cock--just frozen. You can open the loading gate, turn the cylinder a bit and half cock it. then close the laoding gate, and it will function several times before locking up again.... Got me puzzled-- anyone had this problem??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could be the base pin or hammer plunger. Remove the cylinder and install base pin,should latch in. Try operation this way. If all is good check base pin latch and spring also look at plunger that hits the transfer bar. If that is not it the hammer plunger could be stuck. You need to remove the hammer to clean the plunger and spring right.
Have you had the gun apart for a good cleaning?
Eric

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK-- I took the cylinder out, and put the base pin back in like you said-- Function is flawless. Put the cylinder back in and all function stops. I have not stripped it down to the hammer yet. Not real sure I remember how to put it all back together-- my Apprentice gunsmithing days were many moons ago.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The manual will tell you how it comes apart. If you don't have one call ruger or you can download one from ruger web site.
Now I think it might be the pawl or ratchet on the cylinder. We need Iowegan to get in on this.
You could try posting on the other ruger forum. Iowegan is there also. People are still discovering this ruger forum. I think both are friendly places to visit. Good luck Eric

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,140 Posts
Makdaddy, There are two things that could be causing your problem. A broken or bent hammer plunger or a slightly long pawl. We need to do a simple test. Remove the cylinder, push the base pin all the way back in, and close the loading gate.

While cocking the hammer, watch the cylinder latch. By the time the hammer has traveled 1/2", the latch should be camed down below the surface of the frame. If the cylinder latch doesn't move down properly, it indicates a bad hammer plunger. If the latch does move down properly, the pawl is a tad too long. You can get to the tip of the pawl with a fine file by cocking the hammer without the cylinder installed. A few thousandths off the tip should do it.

Use this schematic for a reference: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sc...=6&m=13&mn=Ruger®&model=New+Model+Single-Six+

The Pawl is part #34 and the hammer plunger is part #28.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Guys, Results of the simple test was: Cylinder Latch functioned fine. So must be the pawl. The few thousandths-- Does that come off of the top tip, the bottom tip or Both??

Skyline--
I would LOVE to be a member of the other board too, but they denied me membership since I have an AOL email address. I found this rather odd as they have other AOL members, but whenever I tried to register, I was told they wouldn't let AOL or hotmail emails participate. Guess I'm just not good enough for them.[V]

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,140 Posts
Makdaddy, Take a few thousandths off the very top of the pawl. The function of the tip is to start cylinder rotation as the hammer is being cocked. About mid-way through the hammer stroke, the tip releases and the lower notch picks up the ratchet and continues to rotate the cylinder until the cylinder latch pops up and catches a lock notch. This last bit of rotation should end just as the cylinder latches and the sear engages. Don't mess with the lower notch.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Makdaddy, that's one I wish I could find at a reasonable price, and in stanless too! Have you been able to get it fixed? Hope you get the bugs worked out of it and can give us a range report.

quote:Originally posted by Makdaddy

Skyline--
I would LOVE to be a member of the other board too, but they denied me membership since I have an AOL email address. I found this rather odd as they have other AOL members, but whenever I tried to register, I was told they wouldn't let AOL or hotmail emails participate. Guess I'm just not good enough for them.[V]
Don't understand that about AOL, that's who I use and I'm over there. You might try e-mailing directly to flatgate, one of the mods. He can get you signed up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jimbo--
That wasn't stainless steel-- It was Single Six-- Maybe I confused things by just putting SS.

I talked to flatgate and the guy that ownes the board-- Flatgate said he didn't know how to get me by the AOL thing.The board owner told me to register with someone's acceptable IP addy the change it when membership was accepted. ALL my buddies are AOL. I haven't found another IP to help me out yet.....[xx(]
I just don't understand it-- the membership roster shows many AOL addresses-- Must have become members before the IP non acceptance stance was taken.:(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Skyline--
THANKS MAN!! I owe you one on that. I am now registered. I can enjoy the best of both worlds now!!:D:)[:p];)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts