Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I must admit, I want one of the fixed sight .32 H&R Mag Single Sixes........

I get a lot of unexplained pleasure from shooting .32 S&W Long, and I have wanted to replace my S&W 31-1 with a .327 SP101........but the .32 H&R Single Six looks like something I want more. I'm thinking I better grab one before they go away.

I noticed the Single Six with the fiber optic sights, chambered in .32 H&R.......I wonder why Ruger chose to not just re-introduce the Single 7 .327, or make the fixed sight Single Six .32 H&R's in .327?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Whenever Ruger comes out with very low volume production configurations like the two models (only 99 each) that you mentioned, they are usually what's known as "clean up" production. They are cleaning out inventory by using up leftover parts from discontinued models.

.327 cylinders are only made in 7 shot cylinders for the extra strength of the chambers being located between the cyl notches which is always true for odd numbered chambers. They are probably hanging onto extra .327 cylinders for repair parts for their recent run of .327 models made as distributor exclusives for Talo.

There are plenty of discontinued .32 H&R Vaquerito fixed sight models and .32 H&R adjustable sighted models on the used market, most still like new if you want one. Although no fixed sight models with 5 1/2" barrel or adj sight models in stainless if either of those configurations is specifically what you want.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still debating whether I want the "Baby Vaquero" Vaquerito .32 H&R, or the same model in .22 convertible........I have one of those NC Ordnance Lightning grip frames begging for a home on a Single Six, and I've wanted a Single Six anyway.

.32 S&W Long and H&R cost as much as .45 ACP these days, so I'm thinking how much the "cool factor" of the .32 H&R Single Sixes is worth, vs. a gun I'll actually shoot like the .22 convertible.

On the other hand, I can always get a .22 Single Six, an adjustable sight model would be just fine, but I feel like the .32 H&R "needs" to be a fixed sight.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've got two of the Single Sixes in .32 H&R Magnum ... blue 4 5/8" and stainless 5 1/2".

Learn to reload, roll your own, you can really save some $$$ if you reload this caliber ... I'm under $8 a box ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
<snip> They are probably hanging onto extra .327 cylinders for repair parts for their recent run of .327 models made as distributor exclusives for Talo.
My gun was returned to me at my request, when they said they didn't have any more cylinders. I was not interested in a trade. I bought a finishing reamer for over $100 and 10 weeks wait and now have a gun without tight chambers. Booking work for their repair people was never an option. They are swamped to the point of just offering trades. Their capacity seems as much an issue as parts availability.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've got one of the birds head models with a 4-5/8" barrel, fixed sight. It's a great shooter, very accurate, light weight but a RPITA to sight in. I attempted to bend the front sight slightly and ending up snapping it off. That resulted in me learning to silver solder.

After that debacle, I opened the rear notch with a jewelers file by 0.015", touched it up with cold blue and you'd have look closely to notices. The wider notch turned out to be a blessing, allowing me with 69 yo eyes to more easily center the front sight blade. HTH's Rod

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am finally living in a place where I can start loading, I would probably start with .32 Long since it's one of my favorite rounds, along with being expensive as loaded ammo.

Also, on the plus side, .32 H&R can be loaded "warm" but I don't have any remote plans to use a .32 H&R thumb buster for any kind of defense.

I'm thinking a Bearcat in .32 H&R would be a winner, but I don't have the funds to have one custom made......

·
Registered
85 Posts
I sent back a Single Seven for warranty and Ruger would not repair and return saying: Due unavailability of ammunition they would not be able to test fire the revolver and offered me a replacement. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I sent back a Single Seven for warranty and Ruger would not repair and return saying: Due unavailability of ammunition they would not be able to test fire the revolver and offered me a replacement. This was about 2-3 weeks ago.
1. I don't know what the problem was with yours, but I'd take the new gun in same barrel length. They are still being produced. You'd have to pay another registration fee, though.

2. If not that option, you could send them some ammo. But #1 is simpler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It wore out 3 transfer bars. They said to choose a different caliber. I chose a 357 SS Bisley Vaquero. I really didn't mind. I know it's not a popular opinion but I wasn't particularly fond of the Single Seven. I would however like to try a 32 H&R mag. With the short cylinder of the Single Seven I didn't see much advantage to the 327 other than running up pressure. They said to send in the paper work and I would be reimbursed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts