Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on with .327 Federal ammo? I've always been able to find it online but with all the new guns being sold, it's sold out almost everywhere except at places where it's almost a buck a round.

Dear Federal,
You have a lot of fans of the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge. Ruger is producing guns for it and it's showing signs of life. Please get in sync with Ruger so your supply of ammo doesn't run dry!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like a reloading press may be in your future!
My thoughts exactly. I picked up an SP101 in 327 federal a few months ago and didn't have any trouble getting brass and bullets.

Load data was a little hard to come by, but I managed to find a few loads that work with the powders I had on hand.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Alot depends on what the LGS carry's in stock. I can find limited .32 H&R Mag at Cabela's. But then at another much smaller one store LGS with Western Wear & Gun related sporting goods a better supply of ammo in .327 & .32 H&R Mag. But one thing I don't care for is the high prices of ammo compared to .357/.38 Special. I have the dies, powder and now factory ammo supply built up I need to shoot my SP101 .327 to get a brass supply & I now need to order some bullets!!! I Googled up some loading data on .327 FM & printed it up on some paper now have loading data from 71-115 grain bullets.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm going to run my standard ammo find for .327mag---

Cheap 327 Federal Centerfire Rifle Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Able Ammo

and

327 Federal Magnum- MidwayUSA

now, repeat looking for .32 S&W long---

32 S&W Long- MidwayUSA

and

Cheap 32 Smith and Wesson & 32 S&W Long Pistol Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Able Ammo

I like to shoot the Fiocchi .32 S&W long, 97gr. fmj. no leading and a comfortable carry round. (if it isn't a common round like 9mm or .38spl, sometimes you have to wait for it and then order in bulk.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to run my standard ammo find for .327mag---

Cheap 327 Federal Centerfire Rifle Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Able Ammo

and

327 Federal Magnum- MidwayUSA

now, repeat looking for .32 S&W long---

32 S&W Long- MidwayUSA

and

Cheap 32 Smith and Wesson & 32 S&W Long Pistol Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Able Ammo

I like to shoot the Fiocchi .32 S&W long, 97gr. fmj. no leading and a comfortable carry round. (if it isn't a common round like 9mm or .38spl, sometimes you have to wait for it and then order in bulk.)

All sold out, at least the American Eagle is. I have Hydra Shoks, Speer Gold Dots and Buffalo Bore. Don't want to shoot that stuff on a regular basis. Too expensive

I've entertained the thought of getting into reloading before. Maybe it is time...

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Sounds like a reloading press may be in your future!
Friend of mine did...loads 'em fairly hot too! In the SP101 you can crank 'em up a mite! :eek:

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Most of the links posted the ammo is out of stock! I was able to purchase 100 rounds of .32 H&R Magnum 100 grain jhps just recently. But the bad news even though it was $26.00 a box of 50 by the time I got it to my front door with shipping it came to $68.00. This ammo is pkged in a shrink wrap of some sort 50 rounds to a bag. Haven't tried it out yet. I bought this ammo from Georgia Arms. They seem to have some common loads such as the .327 FM & .32 H&R. There was one load I noticed that wasn't in stock was a .32 S&W Long in a 85 grain jhp that looked interesting a nice low recoil load possibly! The most common load that I can find fairly easy is the American Eagle (Federal) .327 FM 100 grain jsp load this is possibly the stoutest load I have tried so far!! It runs roughly $27.50 per 50 rounds. My favorite LGS this is a regular stock item.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most of the links posted the ammo is out of stock!
Yep. It wasn't like that up until very recently. Many LGS didn't carry it, but it wasn't difficult to get .327 FM online.

It runs roughly $27.50 per 50 rounds. My favorite LGS this is a regular stock item.
I bought mine from a place called Widener's. It was 23.50 per box of 50. I ordered 10 boxes, shipping was like $15. Hard to beat. I hope they get more soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love the 327 federal and 32 h&r . Lack of factory ammo availability is what made me finally break down and buy a reloading setup. I think the problem with it is there aren't many companies producing it. For a while it was available pretty much anywhere online and even Academy carried 327 gold dots at one time. Lately it's been out of stock everywhere. When I bought my single seven a few months ago the only thing I could find was 2 boxes of federal low recoil hydrashocks just to be able to shoot the gun. That's why I started reloading it. When the 327 first came out nobody really had a interest in it, and the guns started disappearing from the makers lineups, maybe due to lack of factory ammo. These days it's making a bit of a comeback but it seems like the ammo companies are still lagging. Alot of people claim to see no real point to the 327 and the 32 h&r but the guns and ammo for it are always in short supply lately.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
I started with a 32 SSM in 1982. 32 H&R ammo was impossible then, bought dies for it, and never looked back. Bought a 6 1/2" SSM in 2000. The 327 FED and 32 H&R are reloaders dreams, just like the 44 spec. I currently have all three Single sevens and will be getting a 4" SP101 as soon as they are added to the CA approved list.
I bought 1000 327 cases at Starline direct and 500 32 H&R's. You can really find the full potential of the 32's when you handload. This is truly a outdoorsman's caliber, so ignore the detractors. A 4" Single Seven is just about the most perfect kit gun you can have!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Gunman has the idea. I too have a 44 sp and a few 327s. I have never bought factory loads and save a bunch of money while having lots of fun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought my single six bisley in 32 H & R magnum in 1990 and have reloaded for it from day one . I've gotten some amazing groups with it , ( 12 shots in 1 1/2" at 25 yards with Hornady's 100 grain xtp- amazing for me anyway ) , some poor groups of course , and some mediocre .
But this is a cartridge that is so enjoyable to shoot and with a supply of cast swc bullets and a pound of unique you can afford to shoot this cartridge , a bunch .
I'm sure if you decide to reload for it and the 327 mag too ,you'll find the same to be true .

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I own and shoot my 327s on a regular basis. I decided about 30 years ago I didn't like the price of factory ammo so got a press and end of story. Brass is available through Starline and I use the Rainier plated bullets or XTPs if the wallet can stand it. Many good powders for this round. My LGS has a good stock of American Eagle.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well I am working up to eventually start to reload. I mostly want a fun plinking load but not afraid to brew up a defensive load either. My thoughts now are either a good hard cast LSWC or RNFP in 95-115 grain range or a copper plated 100 grain HP. My real desire would be a gas checked 100-115 grain Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point, like the load that Buffalo Bore has designed for the .38 Special. Rainier has the plated bullets but there are several bullet makers out there for the Hard Cast LSWC bullets.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well I am working up to eventually start to reload. I mostly want a fun plinking load but not afraid to brew up a defensive load either. My thoughts now are either a good hard cast LSWC or RNFP in 95-115 grain range or a copper plated 100 grain HP. My real desire would be a gas checked 100-115 grain Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point, like the load that Buffalo Bore has designed for the .38 Special. Rainier has the plated bullets but there are several bullet makers out there for the Hard Cast LSWC bullets.
If you keep using your gun as an unloading machine just to accumulate brass for reloading, what will it take for you to actually begin reloading? Order some Starline and be done with it. Besides, I'll bet you have enough already.

I will recommend Penn Bullets 95 grain TCFP. With 12 grains of AA#9, cleaning is never a problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
All, I have a question. Most plated bullets (Berry's for sure, and I think Ranier) say that 1250 FPS is max velocity. Many of the loads I see crank the velocity up to 1500 FPS or more. I'd love to load up some plated bullets (I'm just starting to load this cartridge, and I am using Hornady XTP's, but that is an expensive plinking bullet). Has anyone pushed the Vmax in this caliber with plated bullets? Any issues?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts