Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having reloaded most common, and a lot of the uncommon, Pistol/ revolver cartidges over the past 45 years, I am late coming to the table with the 327 Federal Magnum. I am looking for a gun that is fun to shoot, with minimal recoil so I can shoot all day long without being fatigued. While I can reload 38 Special/357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and 45 Colt down to plinking levels, I think I “need” another gun.

I am looking at the Ruger Bisley Single Seven(5-1/2” barrel), as well as the blued GP-100(5” barrel), both from Lipsey’s(assuming I can find them). Would like feedback from anyone who has either gun, as well as from anyone with other guns in 327 Fed. How do you like the gun/ cartridge combination? Any recommendations on reloading the 327?
Thanks for any input you can offer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have both. The bisley is light and easy to handle which makes for a good woods walking gun. The only problem with it is that your cylinder is fairly short. So, if you like shooting heavy for caliber bullets, you must take into consideration the oal. The maximum oal is about 1.50”. You don’t have this problem with the gp100, and I have loaded 140gn bullets for it. It is a little heavier than the S7, but is still easily managed.

The fact is, you can’t go wrong with either. Both of mine have been flawless right out of the box. Recoil is a non- issue out of either. I did put a 2 dogs front sight on the bisley. Personally, I think I favor the gp100, but am a big fan of both.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have 4 .327’s the bisley single seven, the blued half lug gp100, and the stainless Blackhawk from the past and a Henry riffle. I like them all for different reasons and you can’t go wrong with either, the only hitch to the SS is it is finicky about load and unload as in if you roll the cylinder a little to far and the cyl stop falls into place your to far, the window of opportunity is small but a free spin upgrade will solve this I just haven’t taken the time to do it. By the way I think the weight and handling characteristics with the SS is about perfect the GP I love as well but feels a tad more heavy but still balances well for me and the Blackhawk is certainly heavy but I still like it a lot
I should add the report is a lot like a Blackhawk 30 carbine as in loud and crisp so good ear protection is a must, so for hunting maybe electronic hearing protection would be the ticket? I don’t know as I have not hunted with it

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Having reloaded most common, and a lot of the uncommon, Pistol/ revolver cartidges over the past 45 years, I am late coming to the table with the 327 Federal Magnum. I am looking for a gun that is fun to shoot, with minimal recoil so I can shoot all day long without being fatigued. While I can reload 38 Special/357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, and 45 Colt down to plinking levels, I think I “need” another gun.

I am looking at the Ruger Bisley Single Seven(5-1/2” barrel), as well as the blued GP-100(5” barrel), both from Lipsey’s(assuming I can find them). Would like feedback from anyone who has either gun, as well as from anyone with other guns in 327 Fed. How do you like the gun/ cartridge combination? Any recommendations on reloading the 327?

The GP 100 will best match up to your requirements.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I shoot .32 H&R Magnum in my .327’s ... I find it much more pleasurable to shoot, very accurate, less noise, and cheaper to reload.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
I have a Single 7, the 100 grain FE is a bit snappy for my liking. The 85 grain is pleasurable. The 32 H&R is very comfortable to shoot as well. A tad hard to find reloading bullets. They can be found but takes some searching ...

·
Registered
527 Posts
To me, the Single Seven is the perfect platform for the .327 Federal Magnum. Small sized revolver with plenty of power options. I have two Single Sevens and my EDC is the LCR in .327 Federal Magnum, so yeah, I like the .327!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I’ve restrained myself from buying a Single Seven because I’ve been told that the noise level is pretty high, like a .357. I don’t own any of them either. I know that can be mitigated at the bench, or even hunting, but even the occasional shot at a hog or a snake in the field with a .357 hurts my ears. The last one I owned was a Colt King Cobra. Wish I had kept that one a little longer seeing as how the price has risen on them in the last few years.

Those Birdsheads are some sexy looking revolvers though, and the .32 H&R might be the ticket for noise abatement sans ear protection. Never say never !

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I have a Single Seven and it does well with the .32 H&R Magnum I feed it. I bought it because, at the time, I could not find a 'true' .32 H&R Magnum Ruger revolver as I really have no interest in the .327 cartridge. I was looking for a 'reloadable .22' revolver at the time. Since then I've ran across and acquired several .32 H&R Magnum Rugers.... BTW, when you do run across a Single Seven, check it out thoroughly before yo bring it home.... I rejected the first I ordered because of a loose front sight and no way to tighten. I've heard of other problems as well.

BTW, from a reloaders perspective, I have had no problem finding lead bullets for the .32 . From 78g pills to 115g . Readily available.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
I have a Single Seven and it does well with the .32 H&R Magnum I feed it. I bought it because, at the time, I could not find a 'true' .32 H&R Magnum Ruger revolver as I really have no interest in the .327 cartridge. I was looking for a 'reloadable .22' revolver at the time. Since then I've ran across and acquired several .32 H&R Magnum Rugers.... BTW, when you do run across a Single Seven, check it out thoroughly before yo bring it home.... I rejected the first I ordered because of a loose front sight and no way to tighten. I've heard of other problems as well.

BTW, from a reloaders perspective, I have had no problem finding lead bullets for the .32 . From 78g pills to 115g . Readily available.
Rick ... you are right, seems the lead pills are easier to come by than the fmj versions which is what i prefer ... ive been contemplating going to polymer coated when i do reload for my 327 ...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have waded deeply into the 327/32Mag pool as a cartridge of choice. Without getting into the details of choice there are a couple of things to point out.
Do it NOW. After a long ,dry spell of hotrod 32 availability Ruger and Lipsey's rescued both cartridges and rekindled the desire for 32s. They have made them available in most every platform they make.
But it seems to me supply is dwindling and seems to be slowing down. Maybe a local thing but it seems the gravy train MAY be over.
Secondly , whatever you get , you will be happier with adjustable sights . With the wide range of ammo these cartridges are capable of using they are a prime key to success.
Like I said , just random thoughts.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I load .327 HR powder charges (or less) into .327mag cases to cut down 'end of cylinder crud'. Works for me, and it's accurate...and has adjustable sights. Kinda looks odd 'tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Single Six in 32 Mag produced in ‘85. With its 5 1/2” barrel, it is a joy to carry and shoot. 32 Mag is all the power I need. Actually, shoot mostly 32 S&W Longs from the gun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great Posts from folks who can save you some 32 heartache. I think they wrote:

Buy while they are available; too true. Blackhawk 8 and Single 7 are tough to find.
The Single Seven needs a thorough check out. Mine went to the Mothership in the first week. Ruger made it right.

I know a lot of owners that prefer to shoot a 32 H&Rmag load in their 327fm brass; and their 327fm shooter; no crud ring. They can handload in the same brass for both calibers and not get the crud ring, the loud crack, or the recoil. I'm one of them.

Handloader's dream: 32 ACP, 32 SW long, 32-20, 32 H&Rmag, and the 327fedmag. Powder Coated light and heavy bullets everywhere. Adjustable sights required.

Some sharp guys on this site.
My addition:
Don't look at the S&W's. They offer awesome shooters, made from unobtanium, and at 3 times the price. Ask me how I know? :)

Prescut

·
Registered
34 Posts
Airfoul ,,,,,,, which mount is that and are you happy with it ? It looks to fit very well.

To all with crud ring aversion who wish to download 327 brass .
No rocket science involved if using cast bullets. Simply deep seat the bullet and crimp over the end of the driving band.
Cartridges look a little strange but the internal capacity comes out about the same as a 32 H&R.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts