Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ruger should have made the single seven a true single six. A friend loaned me his single seven and ammo and I'm glad because after the loading and unloading problems I'd never buy one. In fact I had to remove the cylinder to remove two of the empty cases. Maybe later Ruger had solved the problem, but the one I shot wasn't very user friendly. Love all of their other six shooter, just couldn't warm up to the single seven.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've got the GP100 in 6" full lug and the Lipsey 5" half lug. I don't reload, so I can't help you there, but with .327 FM in 85 or 100gr, they have a little recoil but are loud as all heck. Shooting the .32 long is like shooting a .22 through these guns. The 5" looks nicer, but the bluing is rough; it's a shooter, not a wall-hanger. Either one you can shoot all day and it doesn't bother your hand. The 5" has been sent back twice for issues so far (I bought it this past March.) Once you get them sighted in, you're good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
First 32 was the Vaquero six shoot H&R birdshead. #2 was a Bisley Single Six with XS express sights. #3 was the SP101 3" in the new 327 Fed Mag. #1 is great fun to shoot, but do not light load the 32 as I have watched a cowboy action shooter drive slugs out of his barrel. He ended up using my revolver with my loads to finish the match. #2 is waiting on the range to open to run a test to select a pet load. #3 likes 115 grain coated semi wad cutters. Lipstick red bullets and brass make it easy to identify the loads. Yes, the short barrel and 327 mag loads are LOUD and throw lots of flame, but I always did use 2400 in my magnums. I will not use the H&R brass in the 327 as I do not wish to develop a crud ring.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
Personally I like the Single 7. The ejection widow is a bit narrow; a result of adding that 7th round; I can't say I find it a real issue. I have not had a problem finding bullets.

I load .327 brass with 115gr LFP and Trail Boss powder. They work great for dispatching small game and are a joy to shoot at targets of your choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Personally I like the Single 7. The ejection widow is a bit narrow; a result of adding that 7th round...
It's not the 7th round that causes this. The alignment would be the same whether 7 rounds or 6 or 3. The .32 Mag Single Six has the same issue.

The issue is because Ruger originally sized the SS loading gate for a .22LR. When they moved up to a .32 caliber cartridge, they found the existing loading window would work without modification. But it doesn't leave much room for variation in cylinder position relative to loading gate.

As you note, it's not a huge issue. We all get used to loading / unloading these. It's not as easy as with a Blackhawk or a rimfire Single Six. But at the same time, it's not difficult either.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts