Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the .327 mag has been out for nearly six years, is there anyone that regrets getting one? Would you buy one again?

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I heard that Ruger had discontinued the SP101 in .327, I wondered what the fate of the cartridge would be. I was thinking that if gun manufacturers stop making a gun for that caliber, ammo makers may stop the cartridge. I had not seen Federal Cartridge Company's American Eagle 100 gr and 85 gr bullets on the ammo website I use. I was concerned and began to regret getting the guns in that caliber. So I emailed both Federal and Speer about the 327. Federal replied that they would begin production on the cartridge in late November or early December. Speer replied that they have not stopped making the 327. So hearing that I will keep my GP100 and my Blackhawk. I think it's a good cartridge. From what little I have read the 41 Magnum and 480 Ruger are good cartridges also but like these last two, the 327 will not have wide application. So I will keep my 327's. The gun critics have stated it's a good defensive round.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I heard that Ruger had discontinued the SP101 in .327, I wondered what the fate of the cartridge would be. I was thinking that if gun manufacturers stop making a gun for that caliber, ammo makers may stop the cartridge. I had not seen Federal Cartridge Company's American Eagle 100 gr and 85 gr bullets on the ammo website I use. I was concerned and began to regret getting the guns in that caliber. So I emailed both Federal and Speer about the 327. Federal replied that they would begin production on the cartridge in late November or early December. Speer replied that they have not stopped making the 327. So hearing that I will keep my GP100 and my Blackhawk. I think it's a good cartridge. From what little I have read the 41 Magnum and 480 Ruger are good cartridges also but like these last two, the 327 will not have wide application. So I will keep my 327's. The gun critics have stated it's a good defensive round.
Good post. Thanks!

·
Registered
827 Posts
err, Ruger is discontinuing the SP101 in .327mag ????

Their web site still lists it as an available model, along with the GP100 and Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have three of them

I now have a Taurus M327, the S&W Black w/3" barrel, and a Charter Arms Patriot. Both Taurus and Charter have ceased production. I carry the Taurus most, as it's the shortest barrel and fits in my back pocket.

I love the caliber, and hope to afford the SP101 soon. Obviously, I don't need four of them, but it's a great caliber.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How good is this caliber? I notice that an SP101 and GP100 can hold 6 or 7 of these as opposed the usual 5 and 6 with .38spl/.357mag.

·
Registered
88 Posts
err, Ruger is discontinuing the SP101 in .327mag ????

Their web site still lists it as an available model, along with the GP100 and Blackhawk.
Yes that's what I read in this forum or was it Ruger Forum.com? But I had to find out for myself. Here's Ruger's reply;

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:05 PM
Subject: Ruger Online Customer Support Response

>
>
>
> Dear xxx xxxx,
>
>
> Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
>
> This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 10/24/2012
> Request No: 159577
>
> Comment / question:
>
> Is Ruger discontinuing the SP101 in the 327 Fed Mag?
>
> Sincerely,
> xxxxx xxxx
>
> Response:
> That model has been discontinued for the time being.
>
> If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:
>
> Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
> Pistols: (928) 778-6555
> Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424
>
> Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ruger Firearms

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
If thats the case theres another fine product discontinued....along with there PC9,PC40, Deerfield carbine .44 mag, M96 44 mag ,M96 22wmr, 22lr and 10/22wmr the list goes on ....imho all fine firearms that would all if reintroduced sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes that's what I read in this forum or was it Ruger Forum.com? But I had to find out for myself. Here's Ruger's reply;

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:05 PM
Subject: Ruger Online Customer Support Response

>
>
>
> Dear xxx xxxx,
>
>
> Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
>
> This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 10/24/2012
> Request No: 159577
>
> Comment / question:
>
> Is Ruger discontinuing the SP101 in the 327 Fed Mag?
>
> Sincerely,
> xxxxx xxxx
>
> Response:
> That model has been discontinued for the time being.
>
> If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:
>
> Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
> Pistols: (928) 778-6555
> Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424
>
> Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
>
> Sincerely,
> Ruger Firearms
Thanks for the post. Does seem odd, with two other revolvers available in the caliber why drop the SP101? Of course, I have no idea how it has sold or was selling relative to the other two, so maybe there is a sound reason for it. Still, too bad, as the GP100 and Blackhawk in .327mag always seemed silly to me, and the SP101 seemed the ideal platform for it. 'Course, maybe that's why I don't own or run a gun manufacturing company ;)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have both the SP and GP in the 327. Both are the usual well put together firearms. I've had the GP longer so have found how accurate it can be. I've only had the SP for about 6 months and am still working on a load for it. I've stocked up on brass both from Federal and Starline. I just checked Starline's web site and it's available at $110 for 500 327 brass. It's a great little cartridge to reload and Hornady and Rainier are the bullets I'm using. I think it makes a good little self defense round. I sure hope Ruger doesn't drop it all together. At any rate it just might be time to order some more brass! I know I'll be able to shoot mine as long as I can pull the handle on the reloading press.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I had the 327 in the SP101. Loved the cartridge, but the SP did not suit my needs, so I sold it.

I think the 327 deserves to stick around. It is a very flat shooting cartridge, as straight walled pistol cartridges go, and loads of fun to shoot. My only regret is that I didn't get it in a Blackhawk with its longer barrel to fully take advantage of the 327 ballistics. I may still get a custom barrel in 327 for my Contender and really see what the 327 can do. Hate to see the 327 wither away the way so many other great cartridges have done.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the 327 in the SP101. Loved the cartridge, but the SP did not suit my needs, so I sold it.

I think the 327 deserves to stick around. It is a very flat shooting cartridge, as straight walled pistol cartridges go, and loads of fun to shoot. My only regret is that I didn't get it in a Blackhawk with its longer barrel to fully take advantage of the 327 ballistics. I may still get a custom barrel in 327 for my Contender and really see what the 327 can do. Hate to see the 327 wither away the way so many other great cartridges have done.
The bad part is, it's been no time since it bloomed.

After doing research over the last few days, I have found enough to tell that the .327 is not or me. Sounds like it's never gonna get it's feet off the ground. Very far at least.

·
Registered
405 Posts
A fine performer, easy to cast and load for. I have two CA Target Patriots and a Taurus 327B2. Great guns with several thousand rounds thru each, all hand loads loaded to near max pressures, that is, once I fired out (quickly) enough FC cases to make casting and loading beneficial.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love my SP101 in 327. A fine gun and a great cartridge for the misses. She like plinking with 32's while defending herself with the 327. Wouldn't a Blackhawk in 327 make a fine companion to a lever action rifle in 327? Going from a 22, or even a 22 mag to a 30/30 in a lever gun is just to far a stretch. The 327 would have made a nice tweener rifle. Ah, but I think mass production and the shortage of manufacturing space is the demise of the cartridge and the round. Federal Premium is expanding their manufacturing facility but for more defensive pistol ammo, not for niche cartridges like the 327. As I said, to bad as I love this gun, so much so that I spent the weekend siting in a new crimson trace laser built into a soft rubber handle. Ah the pleasure of siting in a gun. There's nothing like it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.