Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.327 Federal Magnum Opinions?: Single Seven Arrived!

I’ve recently become intrigued by this caliber. Know there are fans here. What are the pros and cons of this caliber from a self defense and woods revolver standpoint? I don’t need to add another caliber, but that didn’t stop me from embracing the .41 Remington Magnum, either........I really like that Single Seven Birdshead Revolver. Thanks !

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
It would work fine for what you stated; I find the 100 gr soft point to be the most accurate.

Besides you can play around with all other cartridges one can shoot in it.

Or use them for different purposes.

I tested 100 gr ammo against .357 in bundles of paper and penetration compares favorably with some .357 loads.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I fell in love with 32s when the 32 H&R mag was introduced in the 80s and have been shooting 32s, ever since. For 32 fans like me, the 327 just adds to the fun. Does help to be a 32 fan, though. Not everyone is and those who aren't don't see a need for it.

The 327 is a very flat shooting cartridge that allows you to shoot a handful of other 32 cartridges, as many others will also tell you. Definitely a hot enough cartridge to be viable as a self-defense cartridge, assuming we're talking defense against two-legged predators. I think you'd be pushing it for larger 4 legged predators like bears, though.

Note that in a small revolver, recoil is substantial with the AE 100 grain factory loads, but plenty of milder 85 grain SD loads available.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Sixgun I have 4 different.327’s and I love em. I do have the Single Seven with the Birdshead grip and its my woods carry gun. I usually load it with 100 grain Speer Gold Dots and it likes them. Shoots a bit low at 25 yards but is POA at 12 to 15. It’s a nice lightweight and compact package and I carry it cross draw.

The .327 may be a bit light for bears but I have dispatched coyotes and one whitetail buck at about 15 yards with it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
What's not to like?

With the .327 you get:
- 100 grains @ ~1400 fps from a 3" barrel
- moderate recoil (okay, snappy but not unpleasant)
- easy & inexpensive to reload
- multiple cartridge capability
- the cachet of shooting a cool cartridge (this is subjective, but just about everybody who has one will agree)

Get it - you'll like it!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I haven’t had a chance to shoot it, but definitely on my radar. Did get a single six in .32 H&R magnum and love it. Its now my favorite caliber to shoot at paper targets. I think the only negative is most .32 and 327 magnum ammunition is harder to find and will cost more than the 38 sp. and 357 magnum will. But I still want one and will probably start reloading for it someday soon. And there’s also someone locally that will reload it for me too.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sixgun100, good info above, I have been dabbling with .327 and am really liking it, I think it’s great for your intended purpose from deer on down. Also the current choices are good including the LCR, sp101, GP100, single seven including a bisley like I have and the occasional Blackhawk although usually at a premium when they show up and you can get a Henry to accompany which by the way velocities are said to be in the 2000 range although I have yet to chrono it myself
My favorite ? well not sure but leaning toward the single seven but then again........

My vote is yes pick up a Birdshead and post us a pic when it arrives!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Rifle pressure in a handgun cartridge, roll the dice if you chose. Myself even if I owned a 327 I would never shoot that kind of pressure in a handgun. The gun might hold up on limited use, but a steady diet might lead to some health problems.

There is a reason Smith abandoned 327 small frame handguns, and their frames are forged as opposed to the Ruger cast frames.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rifle pressure in a handgun cartridge, roll the dice if you chose. Myself even if I owned a 327 I would never shoot that kind of pressure in a handgun. The gun might hold up on limited use, but a steady diet might lead to some health problems.

There is a reason Smith abandoned 327 small frame handguns, and their frames are forged as opposed to the Ruger cast frames.
Very interesting. It sounds similar to what s&w experienced with k-frame revolver and the 357 magnum. They wouldn’t hold up to a steady diet of those pressures. And for that reason I’ll only shoot the 38 special in my model 19’s.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've been shooting my 3" .327 SP101 for over ten years now, a substantial part of that with the hot AE 100 grain rounds; it's still tight & accurate, with no adverse effects.

Since Ruger worked with Federal to develop the .327 cartridge and something to shoot it in, I expect that they are aware of issues related to such a high-pressure round and took them into consideration. At any rate, I've not heard of any problems in any Ruger .327 revolvers which could be attributed to the high pressure the .327 generates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok so here is my Ruger .327 collection:
>GP100 7 shot
>SP101 6 shot
>Blackhawk 8 shot
> LCR 6 shoot
> Single Seven Birds-head 7 shot (I love to shoot this one)
And one Henry Big Boy in .327.
This is a very underrated cartridge.

These revolver can shoot .327, 32 H&R, 32 long, 32 short and 32ACP(though not recommended). The great thing about the 32 long is I have shot rabbits in my garden and it does not tear up the meat.

32 H&R collection:
Singe Six 6 shot
Single six Birds-head 6 shot (This one is a hoot to shoot too)
Charter Arms Lavender Lady 6 shot
And a Marlin Octagon Barrel Cowboy

Love my 32 cals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 2, an LCR that I do NOT like to shoot, will not shoot again, and will get rid of as soon as I get around to it. AND, a Single Seven, which is a joy to shoot, with all levels of 32 ammo (haven't tried 32 Auto, though, so can't say about that one . . . )

All 327 commercial loads I've tried are LOUD, with the 100g American Eagle and Speer Gold Dots the loudest. Those are very potent rounds, equal in energy to at least some 357 Magnum loads, and not a lot of fun to shoot a lot of, IMHO. If you're going to carry one of those loads in the woods I'd be concerned about hearing damage without some kind of protection.

The 85g Federal Hydra Shoks are considerably milder - probably because their energy is actually lower than the 100g Buffalo Bore load in 32H&R. But both are comfortable shooters in the Single Seven. (Mine has the regular grip.)

I would NOT be concerned about durabiity of a Single Seven with any amount of 327 magnum shooting. Largely because I've never heard of a Ruger wearing out prematurely or failing from shooting ammunition for which it was designed. (The S&W Model 19 problem with 357 Magnum loads was NOT one of pressure, but forcing cone damage with the use of 125g bullets - regular use of 357 Mag loads with heavier bullets caused no unusual wear on the forcing cone.)

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
my EDC is the LCR 327 with 85 grain hollow points ... with my body type it's an easy piece to conceal ...

·
Registered
366 Posts

What Wolf said. I was very interested in the 327 too. The gurus at my LGS counselled strongly against it. After a few stories about having to send locked up, still loaded guns back to the factory, decided to take their advice and look for something else.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More great replies. I do plan on getting the Single Seven. I don’t plan on shooting enough Magnum rounds through it to warrant concerns about it holding up. Kind of like shooting a bunch of Magnum ammo through a K Frame S&W. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
619 Posts
More great replies. I do plan on getting the Single Seven. I don’t plan on shooting enough Magnum rounds through it to warrant concerns about it holding up. Kind of like shooting a bunch of Magnum ammo through a K Frame S&W. Thanks for the replies.
I too still want one. After all that’s the ideal thing about the single seven is you can also shoot 3 other calibers in it. The only issue I’m finding is the .32h&r magnum ammunition in fmj (practice/range) stuff is not available from any of the ammo manufacturers.

·
Registered
619 Posts
wrangler5, there are also statements from police departments claiming that a steady use of 357 magnums in their model 19’s were just flat out wearing the guns out. I don’t know about you, but I do believe that to much pressure from the 357 magnum had a lot the do with it too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Single Seven and a SP100 with the 4 5/8" barrel. Had them for several years with no problems whatsoever. I've feed them the American Eagle 327 Fed Mag 100g & 85g and S&B S&W longs. I use the Single Seven as a trail/camping gun and the SP100 as a C/C gun. I've not killed anything with them but I have no doubt that the 100g & 85g are viable self defense rounds - The 100g are about comparable to the lighter 125g 357 Mag loads. The S&W longs create a lot more fouling so if you run them you need to clean the chambers before you fire the longer 327 Fed Mag ammo to prevent extraction issues. Their recoil doesn't bother me a bit, but I let the kids shoot the 32 S&W longs. It's like shooting a .22lr. I love both these guns and will never sell either one. I'm definitely a fan of the 327 Federal Magnum.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a Single Seven and a SP100 with the 4 5/8" barrel. Had them for several years with no problems whatsoever. I've feed them the American Eagle 327 Fed Mag 100g & 85g and S&B S&W longs. I use the Single Seven as a trail/camping gun and the SP100 as a C/C gun. I've not killed anything with them but I have no doubt that the 100g & 85g are viable self defense rounds - The 100g are about comparable to the lighter 125g 357 Mag loads. The S&W longs create a lot more fouling so if you run them you need to clean the chambers before you fire the longer 327 Fed Mag ammo to prevent extraction issues. Their recoil doesn't bother me a bit, but I let the kids shoot the 32 S&W longs. It's like shooting a .22lr. I love both these guns and will never sell either one. I'm definitely a fan of the 327 Federal Magnum.
Great to hear! Just placed an order for the Single Seven Birdshead with my local Dealer. Be in next week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts