Ruger Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought a 4" SP-101 for me to shoot 327's and for my wife to shoot 32S&W shorts.
We both love it and it stands up to the stout 327 loads just fine.
I reload 100gr flat point round nose at ~1300fps and they work great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Stock up on 32 ammo. Once you start shooting 32 you won't want to stop.

Currently have a 32 H&R mag birds head (in avatar) and a 327 fed mag 3 inch SP 101.

The Vaquero got me started reloading 32 and the dies were easy to reset to 327 mag length.

Watch your primers on factory ammunition. The first two boxes of Federals showed signs of high pressure. Stopped shooting them and will salvage the brass and bullets latter.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, my Single Seven Birdshead arrived. What a beautiful, little revolver. Have various types of ammo ordered on line. Will get to the range once it arrives. Thanks again for all the helpful information. Here it is next to a Buck Pathfinder, to show it’s compact size.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's a great gun Sixgun100. You will love it. I have one because I love that caliber and the fixed sight & short barrel. I did not really like the birdshead, so I had the revolver fitted for the traditional plow handle. Thinner real rosewood grips, too. Looks like the old time Colt Sheriff's revolver.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe they've fixed the production line, but when I got my Single Seven a couple of years ago there was some factory ammunition that would not eject easily. Sometimes it would come out if you fiddled with the cylinder rotation location to get it just perfectly aligned, but sometimes I had to take the cylinder out.

The problem was not a case sticking in a chamber, it was (is?) that the ejection port on what was designed as a 22LR revolver has VERY little extra room when you expand the rim to the size of the 327 Federal one. And on some chambers, with some cases, there just wasn't enough clearance. It may have just been a problem of tolerance stacking on some guns, but this was not a unique problem - there were a number of threads on various forums that talked about it.

It's a stainless gun, so in theory I could have just wrapped some fine grit sandpaper around a properly sized dowel and enlarged the "trough" in the ejection port a bit myself. But I wasn't sure I could get the finish to look like new, so I ended up sending the gun back to Ruger, and it now ejects properly on all chambers (although there's still not a lot of clearance.)

As I say, this was a couple of years ago, and maybe they've fixed the machinery so this never happens now. But it's something to keep in mind.

In any event, enjoy the gun. I shoot mine a LOT, and while I don't shoot many of the full power loads, it IS fun when people watch you take down steel plates DECISIVELY at 25+ yards with "a 32."

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been shooting an SP101 3" .327 Fed Mag since they came out. For plinking you can shoot .32 S&W/.32 S&W long/.32 H&R Mag and then for power drop the hammer on the .327 Fed Mag. Very versatile chambering. For power loads I like W296 or Blue Dot with either 85 or 100 grain JHP. As long as you stay within the loading guidelines and work your loads up slowly Ruger makes revolvers that are safe and can take it. Mine is still tight and accurate. If you don't handload, you can buy and shoot any of the cartridges I listed..............Henry even makes a lever action rifle to go along with it.............Always liked a good rifle revolver combo that uses the same cartridge...................Don in SC

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, since my first post 10 months ago, I now have three .327 Revolvers. Two Single Sevens and a LCR. So, yes, I like the cartridge and the Revolvers that shoot them!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts