Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm really interested in picking up an SP101 in .327 federal magnum but I've heard about some quality control issues (flattened primers and timing issues). Has anyone here been having these issues? Also, having a really hard time finding the things. The .327 revolvers seem to be completely out of stock everywhere including online.

Here's why I'm interested: my wife can shoot fine with a 9mm (my username gives away my semiauto preferences) but she can't clear the thing. I realized that if she had a malfunction, she wouldn't be able to get her gun back up and running if she needed to (I do understand that revolvers have malfunctions too!!). But--the low capacity of snubbies gives me some serious pause. That's where .327 comes in. On paper, it sounds ideal--but with the problems I've heard about, I'm not sure.

Any advice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope that there are no issues! I picked one up brand new about 2 months ago. I have yet to shoot it though!
Sorry :( for the record, it's pretty much only two videos on YouTube I've seen where people have had problems, and happy campers are probably not gonna make as much noise as people who run into issues. One guy had been messing around with changing the springs, so I took his opinion with an underground mining deposit of salt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one and I love it no problems other than you just about have to reload to get ammo witch I do anyway so no problem for me.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had a 4” SP101 .327 for about 4 years.

The original spring was way too heavy, so I put in a lighter one.

Since then it has been absolutely reliable and accurate.

Only negative comment: the Federal 100gr loads are very hot and kick hard. If I was to shoot lots of them, I’d get different grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
BLUF: Things I really like about this gun: multiple ammo choices! This will shoot 327 FED MAG, 32 H&R MAG, 32 S&W Long, 32 S&W Short and 32 ACP (yup, 32 acp works just fine and i have about 100 rounds through it w/o a hick-up).

Best thing about the gun, 5 different rounds, holds 6 vs 5. Worse thing, 5 shooters have cheaper/better ammo choices.

I bought one a couple of months ago (3”, one of the early models) and really enjoy it. I haven’t had any issues with mine and it’s pretty accurate for a revolver (I’m not a revolver guy, but was intrigued by the 327 mag). I picked mine up for a HD gun, primarily for my wife because i just thought it would be easier for her under stress. She shots auto’s just fine, but not enough to be proficient with them when it counts.

Things you won’t like: ammo cost. None of the ammo that works in this gun is cheap, and in todays environment it might (might) be tough to find. Good thing is, there’s 5 rounds that work with it, so you have options.

I had a 357 SP101 about 10 years ago and 327 feels about the same to me, but you get 6 over 5 so that’s a plus. If in a SD situation it probably won’t matter, but at the range you can feel it. 32 H&R MAG is very comfortable, and the other 3 feel like shooting .22lr out of such a heavy gun.

I like it and will probably keep it for quite some time, but mostly (humble brag) because I got a ton of ammo with the sale! 1100 rounds of 100 gr 327 jacketed soft point and 450 rounds of 32 H&R MAG JHP. Paid what would be considered MSRP for the gun and ammo combined (ammo is actually worth more than the gun).

I’d like to get a lever gun to go with it, but until someone has a side gate model, I’m out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
MRM69, I thought Henry .327FM lever loads either way, but if you looked, I guess it doesn't.
Walther Wolverine, If you can find the SP101 in .327 for you wife, I would get it for her. Depending on how strong she is, holding a revolver up long enough to defend herself, if you can find a GP100 in this caliber, you may want to consider that. 7 shots. My daughter-in-law could not hold my 6" stainless, but she has MS and it really was too heavy. But, even 100gr Fed Mags in this gun, you can pretty much shoot all day. I don't know, but I'm sure the 4" is lighter. I also have the 5" half-lug, still 7 shots, and it is somewhat lighter. (If you can find one.) Although I had to send the gun back, they fixed it, and it's fine. The 6" had no problems, they both shoot better than I can. I changed to lighter springs, but that was just my preference, in both guns. Good luck, Jeff T., PGH PA

·
Administrator
22,267 Posts
Flattened primers are a function of the ammo. They can be an indicator of over pressure with too heavy of a powder charge. If that is happening together with difficult extraction I won't shoot them anymore. I don't recall a lot of threads here on SP101 timing issues. If there were any Ruger would fix it. Not a very common problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am a few days late here....but.

I have the 3" SP101 in 327.

I got it this year and shortly after I got it I started getting light strikes.....3-5 per cylinder. Some rounds would eventually fir some would not bu they would fire in my LCR 327.

Sent it back to Rugr and quickly received it back.

Since the fix I put over 600 rounds through it of mostly AE 100. Not a problem.

Ruger did work on the trigger springs and also fixed "something" in the extractor.

It ejects much better than before the fix.

I carry it often with the LCR in my pocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MRM69, I thought Henry .327FM lever loads either way, but if you looked, I guess it doesn't.
According to what’s on their website now, the 327 lever guns only load through the magazine, no side gate. If there was a previous model which had side gate loading, I’d be all over it! If i came across a good deal on a mag loading 327 lever gun I’d probably pick it up, but it’s such a niche market so they will be far and few in between.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a SP101 4.2" 327 and it shoots great with no problems. I've tried the 32ACP in it also and it works great as well. I loaded some 88gr RN lead bullets over Titegroup powder for a good plinking load. I made a jig consisting of flat washers stacked up and held together with duct tape till only the nose of the 88gr loads showed above it and I take a file and put a flat tip on the bullet nose for better small game performance and it actually made them more accurate as well.
I think Hogue grips are a must for the SP101 to tame recoil and keep the back of the trigger guard from barking your middle finger knuckle. Definitely works with the 357 versions and works great on my 327. I haven't had any problems with sticking cases or light strikes and it has the factory springs in it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would add one to my LCRX and Single Seven.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
In reading thru these posts, I noticed several folks here have no issues with .32 ACP working fine in an SP-101 chambered for .327. I have a 3" .327 SP-101 and it worx no problemo with all .32s except the ACP. I'm familiar with the cartridge specs, but I'm getting light primer strikes. I'm not an expert, but my guess the primary issue is that the rim thickness is .010'" thinner. Does anyone have any thoughts or possible workarounds, or am I just SOL on using the ACP rounds?

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just purchased an SP101 in 327mag. The timing was off on 2 chambers. I sent it back to Ruger and received it back quickly and now timing is on. Ruger does have the best customer service I have experienced.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does anyone have any thoughts or possible workarounds, or am I just SOL on using the ACP round.
I'm a little at a loss as to why this would even be an issue ,,,, let alone a SOL issue ?
Ruger never claimed they would work ,,,, for a reason . Sure some can but it was never a good idea unless it was a Zombie attack and that was the only ammo you had.
And Zombies only laugh at 32 ACP.
Those with chronographs report HUGE velocity swings from wimpy to extra wimpy with ACP in 327 guns due to the brass not sealing well in the chamber. Not sealing well means DIRTY chamber.
It's not like 32 acp is cheap . If you need mild get 32 long or short and have a much better alternative.
Guns shooting 32 mag and 327fed are great for many reasons , but 32 ACP options are not even on menu.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I'm a little at a loss as to why this would even be an issue ,,,, let alone a SOL issue ?
Ruger never claimed they would work ,,,, for a reason . Sure some can but it was never a good idea unless it was a Zombie attack and that was the only ammo you had.
And Zombies only laugh at 32 ACP.
Those with chronographs report HUGE velocity swings from wimpy to extra wimpy with ACP in 327 guns due to the brass not sealing well in the chamber. Not sealing well means DIRTY chamber.
It's not like 32 acp is cheap . If you need mild get 32 long or short and have a much better alternative.
Guns shooting 32 mag and 327fed are great for many reasons , but 32 ACP options are not even on menu.
I have loads of ACP brass, very little .327 brass, but none in between. For the ACP loads I have a Cz. 70 so no problemo there. I just didn't want to limit it to one gun, if possible. I was only asking cuz I wanna do a little plinking (bowling pins, tin cans, etc.) with the SP-101. I'm not doing any target or competition so dead-on accuracy is not an issue. And as far as DIRTY chambers are concerned, I like to clean my guns (believe it...or not). BTW, I have heard Zombies eat .32s like Tic Tacs.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

1 - 16 of 16 Posts