Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know if anyone is using a LCR in 327 fed mag as their concealed carry choice? Pro's ... Con's ...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sort of. I just bought one for my wife. She isn't ready to carry it yet, so I have been toting it around in my pocket since Christmas. It's stoked with 100 grain JSP American Eagles at the moment.

Six shots of .327 plus a speed strip with another six makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I went to the Ruger site and got the following---
my 4.62" barrel, .327 Single Seven, 34 oz.
your .327 mag LCR, 17 oz.
the 100gr. Federal JSP rounds shot in the SS are manageable, but definitely a magnum round (got some yeehaw! in it). the 85gr. Federal feels a little lighter. Speer and BuffaloBore make some ammo that should be entertaining.
for plinking and practice you might try, Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Pistol Ammunition 32SWLA, 32 Smith & Wesson Long, Full Metal Jacket (FMJ), 97 GR, 800 fps, 50 Rd/bx, $20, Able Ammo. these are the old S&W .32 Long cartridge, 97gr. moving slow, very pleasant.
(if that gun ever comes out of your pocket and back to the wife, please post the details of that event. hehehehe.)

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
I shoot the 327 in a Single Seven and carry it as my woods gun, so can't comment on the LCR.

Still a problem getting ammo, though. Can find the 85 grain SD loads, now and then, but that American Eagle 100 grain load is tough to come by. The 85 grain SD loads, though, are very mild to shoot in the Seven.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find the 100 gr American Eagle is fairly easy to find ... Not to mention I have a whole case from when I bought my single seven ...

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok I can give you a base line then you can go from there. I have 2 Ruger LCR's one a .22 Magnum the other the LCRX .38 Special +p my .22magnum is about 1 ounce lighter then the .327 FM LCR. I have in the past several days been doing pocket carry with my .22 Mag LCR and its been managable. I do have a Ruger SP101 .327FM in that gun roughly 30 ounces mine is the 3 inch gun the Federal American Eagle 100 grain jsp do have quite the snap to them! But my carry round in this gun is the Federal Defensive round 85 grain JSP. I would suggest if you want a .327 LCR to think of the following the positive 6 rounds thats equal to or above the .38 Special +p plenty of power. The down side the defensive ammo in any caliber is roughly $18.00-$22.00 per 20-25 rounds. But just plinking ammo is not cheap and harder to find!!! I have been buying the American Eagle 100 grain jsp for $27.59 per 50 rounds its the cheapest Ihave found per 50 even cheaper then .32 H&R Mag ammo. So the ammo is harder to find but the .327/.32H&R .32 S&W Long etc all can be shot thru it. I plan to reload have several parts of the needed components. So if you reload then the .327FM then becomes much cheaper to shoot & very many types of loads can be made if with several types of bullets from 73 grain up to roughly 115 grain. Hope this helps!!! Good Luck:D;) NCG I have bought 3 box's of the American Eagle 100 grain stuff in the last two weeks!

·
Registered
388 Posts
When we shot it xmas eve on the farm, I got about 60% ignition on Aguila .32 acp. Gonna maybe try Remingtons instead. The rounds that did ignite were mousefart. Shot about 30 .32 H&R 71 gr reloads of mine. Shot about 18 rounds of the 100 gr American Eagle loads and those turned some heads. From the little revolver they were borderline unpleasant.

Bought 300 cases of Starline .327 from Midway. Have 1000 rounds of 100 gr lfn coming from Badman Bullets. Can't wait to crank out some middle of the road plinkers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
my local gun store doesn't carry much ammo, owner thinks everybody buys ammo at Walmart or Cabela's. I started shopping ammo online. I get 4 or 5 boxes at a time and the freight is usually about $15. call me lazy, but there are days when hearing the thud when the UPS driver throws the box on my porch is worth $15.
so far I've found about everything I need at Able Ammo and Midwayusa.
(shooting 73gr. .32acp out of the Single Seven is a hoot, kind of like .22 short. the 73gr. fmj, .32acp from Fiocchi, S&B or Geco is my carry ammo in the K-T P-32.)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm curious to know if anyone is using a LCR in 327 fed mag as their concealed carry choice? Pro's ... Con's ...
Pros: If you have it and it works, why not?

Cons: I can't conceal a revolver. So I don't.

Seriously, everyone needs to choose the carry gun that suits them, it really makes no difference what someone else's opinion is.

Jeff

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just picked up my LCR .327 today and shot it at the range. It ran perfectly and pointed well. Those Federal 100 gr. JSPs are pretty stout -- I also had some of the Low-Recoil 85 gr. JHPs, and they were easier to handle. I have an intermediate handload that will work well for practice, and I think I am going to be able to work up to carrying this LCR, but right now I still shoot my other poly 38 special +P better. So now I am off on the search for the perfect holster...

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
327 is a heckuva round IMO. I have both an origonal 8 shot Blackhawk and got a new SP101 last spring when Ruger released it. I use mine mainly for hunting as it is a heck of a varmint cartridge with excellent ballistics, and I shoot it alot..
The down sides IMO, is the sonic crack it makes will instantly pop my ear drums followed by several hours of ringing. I dont shoot it without ear plugs. So as a conceal carry, you would be firing it without ear plugs, which is a huge no no. In my case, I can stand to fire a 357 , 45, or 9mm without ear plugs ( although I dont make it a habit, and EDC a 9mm. ) but there is a big difference.
The other drawback, IMO, is the huge fireball it makes at night,, you would be night blind.

The 327 is managble,, but pretty brisk on recoil in my SP101. The single sevens and blackhawks are pretty heavy, so they show no recoil to speak of. I'm sure an LCR would be a hand full. As already said, the American Eagle 100 gr are loaded pretty hot, but the AE 85's are much tamer. Ammo where I live has always been plentiful , but some area's seem to be impossible to find.
So take all that for what its worth. Great round, deadly accurate,, but pretty loud, and sometimes, hard to find. .

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Cons: I can't conceal a revolver. So I don't.

Seriously, everyone needs to choose the carry gun that suits them
Your second point is absolutely true, but on the first point: don't you wear pants? :confused: :D

The LCR327 is the same frame as my LCR357 and it conceals great in the pocket with a Desantis Nemesis. The extra round of the 327 would be nice but I prefer the ammo diversity and availability of 38/357 - for me.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Your second point is absolutely true, but on the first point: don't you wear pants? :confused: :D

The LCR327 is the same frame as my LCR357 and it conceals great in the pocket with a Desantis Nemesis. The extra round of the 327 would be nice but I prefer the ammo diversity and availability of 38/357 - for me.
I can't fit a revolver in the pockets of the pants I choose to wear. I can fit a small semi-auto in them. That's one reason I choose to not carry a revolver.

But... And this is the only issue that matters, what I choose and why should have no bearing on what others choose to carry.

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
I find that factory Gold Dots are a handful with the original grips, but much more manageable with the larger Hogue tamer grips. That being said, I have several intermediate handloads using 100 gr XTP bullets that are more pleasant to shoot and still have Muzzle Energy levels comparable to or higher than my Kahr PM9 with 147 gr HST . If ever there was a caliber that rewarded reloading it's the .327 FM . My BIG wish for 2016 is Ruger releasing a lcrx version, with 3" barrel, and external hammer. Carrying a revolver is easy in Michigan, since for 6 months a year it's a least sweatshirt weather. You southern guys, I can understand the problems hiding one in a speedo ! :)

·
Banned
586 Posts
pretty interesting info from you guys.

Years ago, I gave a guy this ammo as I got it my mistake.

He'd just bought a Ruger Single Six in .32 and I thought it quite
interesting.

These days, it seems that the .327 LCR is the talk of the town.

Me, with my bad back that limits me from carrying heavy guns..
and an arm in a sling from a recent injury.

My aging hands seem softer each year as Arty also shows up as well.

I've read in the past that the .327 is great for the elderly and infirm..
those who have problems with recoil.

My last .38+P LCR was unpleasant for me with any load I shot through it..
so I might be a good candidate for the .327:)

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pretty interesting info from you guys.

Years ago, I gave a guy this ammo as I got it my mistake.

He'd just bought a Ruger Single Six in .32 and I thought it quite
interesting.

These days, it seems that the .327 LCR is the talk of the town.

Me, with my bad back that limits me from carrying heavy guns..
and an arm in a sling from a recent injury.

My aging hands seem softer each year as Arty also shows up as well.

I've read in the past that the .327 is great for the elderly and infirm..
those who have problems with recoil.

My last .38+P LCR was unpleasant for me with any load I shot through it..
so I might be a good candidate for the .327:)
The 327 LCR has been a great choice for me. Loaded with 32 H&R mag hollow points. However, I will warn you with Mr arty showing up you won't want to shoot it with the 100 gr 327 fed mag rounds in it. My dad who is 79 shot mine and it was a bit much for him. Only because of the size and weight.

·
Registered
172 Posts
True, but .32 S&W or .32 S&W Long would be easily manageable, I suspect. The recoil is not too much more than .22LR with the advantage of a lot larger diameter bullet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts