Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what some opinions might be regarding the Fed Mag 327 for my first handgun ever. Specifically in the SP101 (if I can get my hands on one).

Pros vs Cons keeping in mind that this is:

1- My first firearm
2- Primarily for home/self defense
3- Access to ammo as well as cost

Thanks folks,

Fletch

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I owned an SP in 327.

A big two thumbs up on 1 & 2. The 327 is a terrific cartridge and the SP will last several lifetimes.

A big ? on 3, though. You won't find 327s at your local Wal-mart, but any place that sells ammo, including Wal-Mart, will always have 38s and 357s. My three local gun shops did not stock 327s, so I either had to have them order some 327s or make a day long long trip to a store that did. Unless you reload, a 357 or 38 SP is a much more practical option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a .327, ammo is a little harder to find but you can shoot 32acp out of it which is available everywhere. .32 S&W longs and .32 H&R mags are usually available as well. It is a great gun and 32 caliber is a good plinking round, while the .327s will light up a dark room and stop just about anything on 2 or 4 legs.

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
In my honest opinion, if access to ammo is big for you, I would get the SP101 in the .357 magnum. This gives you a lot more flexibility. This is because you can shoot both .357 magnums AND .38 Special ammo from the same gun. The .38 special has very manageable recoil (like shooting a cap gun, but just my opinion). Plus, both .38 special and .357 magnum are readily available in a huge variety of cartridges from numerous manufacturers. The .327 while a nice round, is newer and not as readily available and much more limited.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I bought my wife a Bersa .380 acp because the recoil of the little .380 Ruger was too much for her and the Bersa weighed about 10 ounces more. We are retired so she is not as athletic as she once was, neither am I for that matter, so she wanted something less robust in the recoil department. I found a 300 round deal on sale at Cabellas and decided to order them. They shipped just fine, no problem. And modern ammo keeps for quite a while in the right conditions. Some of our forum stocked up with as many as 20,000 rounds of various ammo when bho first got elected. They are maintaining that level now and some have even increased it, a good decision IMHO, since he got re-elected. So, if you want to lay aside a lot of .327 acp, you can do just that. Try to keep it dry and cool and you'll be fine. I have looked at the .327 acp a long time and would still like to have one. Ammo by mail will solve your problems.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I own SP101's in both 357 and 327.

1 - Can't go wrong with an SP101 as first gun. Very well made but get a trigger job
done.
2 - Great gun for home/self defense. Good concealed carry or car gun. 327 is an
adequate defense round.
3 - I would go with a 357 mag because 357 and 38spcl ammo is more available, in more
options, at better prices. The 357 mag is a proven man stopper and you can shoot
38 spcl for practice.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:confused:

I would get the SP101 in the .357 magnum. This gives you a lot more flexibility. This is because you can shoot both .357 magnums AND .38 Special ammo from the same gun.
From what I understand, I can shoot 5 different rounds w/ the .327 SP101. So, it seems I would actually have MORE flexibility with it. I think it's obvious that 357 and 38 spec are as easy to get your hands on as possible, but if I spend some time stocking up on 327 (which I would prefer) while using 32 S&W long or 32 acp for my range rounds in the meantime......

I guess my question would be (for those of you who shoot 327) how difficult is it right now to get ahold of 327, and what are some of the best ways you have accomplished this?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
:confused:
From what I understand, I can shoot 5 different rounds w/ the .327 SP101. So, it seems I would actually have MORE flexibility with it.
Not necessarily the number of different cartridges that interchange that determines flexibility, especially if those cartridges are as hard to find as the primary cartridge or are less than adequate for your intended use.

For instance, go to Wal-Mart or any other big box department store that carries ammo and try to find 32 ACP, 32 H&R mag or ANY 32, for that matter. Good luck. None of the Wally's in our area do. As for the 32 H&R, none of three GUN shops in my area carry it and the 32 H&R is not even close to a 327 as a SD round. The 32 ACP or the 32 S&W even less so. None of the lesser 32s even compare to a 38, let alone a 38 +P as a SD round. If they did, there'd be no need for the 327.

On the other hand, go with a 357 and all three rounds - 357, 38+P and 38 are at least viable to downright excellent SD rounds and they're always available on a local basis.

Not trying to push you, here, but first thing I'd do is check your local sources as to availability of 327s. You should also be aware there is a very real possibility that the 327 ammo situation is going to get worse. A number of 327 gun models from several manufacturers have already been dropped because of availability and lack of interest in the 327. Sadly, the future of the 327 is by no means assured. To borrow a current popular political phrase, it's on the cliff. Like so many other good cartridges over the years, it may fade to obscurity for lack of interest.

Think of it this way: when the you know what hits the fan, do really want a gun for SD that requires you to mail away for ammo?

Best of luck. Hope you find what works for you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Concur with every comment regarding the advantage of the .357/.38 over the .327. I had the option at my LGS when I went looking for a revolver. He had 3 different brands of .357 and 4 different brands of .38 and NO .327 in stock. He said nobody asks for it so he doesn't stock it. That sold me on the .357 and .38 purchase.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I see no advantage on your list to get the .327 over the .357. You'll love the .357. Get that!

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have SP's in both 327 & 357 magnum. While it's true that 357/38 if abundant and in "some cases" cheaper, but not all. 327 can be found at numerous on line outlets like ATG (ammunition to go) Able ammo, Cheaper than Dirt just to name a few. So If you want the 327 get the 327. ammo can be found in both SD type and target/plinking varities. 327 is a good round and very much worth your consideration. I love mine and whether I'm shooting 32 S&W, 32 H&R, or 327 Mag the little SP is a hoot to shoot. Here are a couple of links to 327 ammo currently available on line.
ATG 327 mag
Able Ammo
CTD

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have Sp101's in 357 and 327. I also have GP100's in 357 and 327. My 327's spend more time on the range than the 357's do. I just enjoy shooting the 327 more than the 357. However be aware that I am a reloader and have a large stockpile of 327 ammo loaded from mild (using Trail Boss) to wild (loaded with 296). Unless you order on line you will probaby find it hard to keep stocked up on factory ammo. The 327 Federal Magnum is a great little cartridge. However, it is not for every one.:)

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
In my honest opinion, if access to ammo is big for you, I would get the SP101 in the .357 magnum. This gives you a lot more flexibility. This is because you can shoot both .357 magnums AND .38 Special ammo from the same gun. The .38 special has very manageable recoil (like shooting a cap gun, but just my opinion). Plus, both .38 special and .357 magnum are readily available in a huge variety of cartridges from numerous manufacturers. The .327 while a nice round, is newer and not as readily available and much more limited.
I agree....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought a GP100 in 327 Fed Mag as my first gun. I liked it and I later bought a Blackhawk in 327. My LGS has 327 but I mostly order 327 online. I don't have much trouble buying 327 online. TargetSports USA mostly has Speer Gold Dot but Cheaper Than Dirt has both Federal American Eagles and Gold Dot. It's a good caliber. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
991 Posts
As an added comentary I'm hoping Ruger brings out their LCR in 327 mag! Now that would be one fine SD package.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'd agree with others on the issue of ammo availability.

SGammo (used for example because they're huge) lists one type of .327 Federal Magnum ammo in stock, of which they have only 54 boxes.

AmmoToGo has a limited selection of .327 Federal Mag as well, and if you look you'll note that it all costs more than equivalent .357 Magnum. This despite the fact that .357s use notably more material to make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.