Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

What are your thoughts about the .327 Mag as a personal defense round for concealed carry? Does it carry enough impact?

JC

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
You could fill several academic journals with research into the forensics behind "what impacts enough", and keep in mind that your chances of ever using it are one in many thousands.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't carry something. You should. It's just like an insurance policy that you'll likely never use but which covers you from catastrophic loss. But (within reason) carry what you like. I'd feel just as happy with five shots of the old 158 grain lead hollowpoint (the old "FBI load") from a .38 special, but equally so with a .327 magnum.

Pick the one that you love and feel passionate about so you'll never want to leave home without it. :)

Super Moderator
I would carry 100 gr bullets and @ 1,427 FPS they generate 452 ft/lbs of energy with a momentum factor of 20. It should give good shocking power and penetrate deep enough to do the job. I would not have a problem with it as a carry caliber.

Registered
If you're comfortable with a 38 Special or 9mm for carry, the 327 mag certainly has the numbers to back it for the same purpose, as Terry indicated. Have even read about some folks using the 327 for deer, though I wouldn't push it that far, not with our big north woods deer, at any rate.

I did shoot the 327 when it first appeared in a Ruger SP101. Trust me, in that small gun with factory 100 grain loads, you knew it was a magnum and definitely not a 38. :)

Loved the cartridge so much, though, that we recently brought home a Single Seven.

Registered
oh goodie, another Single Seven fan. one of my favorite range and house guns.
for serious carry I think I'd go with the DA SP101 (yes you can carry a 4" barrel).
(the 100gr. .327's are magnums, the 85gr. .327's are sweet. for just plinking get a box of Fiocchi 32 S&W long, 97gr fmj-- shoot those all day.)

(on a practical note, as a second gun, I always carry(shirt or pants pocket) a tiny KT P-32. with the 10 round mag, that's 11 shots of .32acp, loaded it weighs 11 oz. the .32acp was a police and military round in europe for most of the 20 century. the 73gr. fmj .32acp doesn't expand, but it is a notorious "tumbler". better than a sharp stick.)

Registered
I did shoot the 327 when it first appeared in a Ruger SP101. Trust me, in that small gun with factory 100 grain loads, you knew it was a magnum and definitely not a 38.
I agree with NCG. I shoot my 327 Taurus next to my 357s and 38s, and it certainly has the same blast and concussion as the 357s. Its way above the 38 Special. I would have no concerns carrying a 327 for protection from a 2 legged threat.

Registered
I just wish they would make some more GP 100 in .327 The Sp 101 is eye appealling but does not fit my hand like a GP100.

Registered
The new .327 Federal LCR has me rethinking which caliber to buy. I had been leaning to the 9mm, but I like the idea of 20% more "bang"s before it goes "click".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts