Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American Rifleman has the .327 magnum SP101 on the cover. Only a small mention of the gun inside in their gear of the year article, but there is a longer article about the .327 magnum round.

Seems like a nice combo, the .327 mag and the SP101. Does anyone have personal experience with it?

By the way, I'm sure it's been discussed here, but when I try to search for it the search doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Actually, I didn't care one way or the other for adding a new cartridge to the line-up. Now with some thought and a lot of reading, I can see where this new .327 actually may have a place. For less recoil, better controlability, six shots and a good bit of velocity & kinetic energy, this may be the perfect small sized home defense / CCW cartridge/revolver combo. Yes I still prefer my .45 when in a combat situation, but this little guy might be a lot of fun, especially if the Super Single Six gets the nod. And a 5" SP101 with adjustable sights would be a good small target / trail gun. It will be awhile before the factory ammo and reloading segments catch up. In a couple years I just might be out looking for one.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'm kinda thinkin' like Jimbo....if it's REALLY more muzzle energy than the .38+P-and less recoil than the .357...seems that it might be a good thing....I might just eat some crow on this one....we'll see once some more info is out on it.....might be good for folks who don't like big guns.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just finished reading the American Rifleman article on the .327 Mag. What I fail to understand is how it can equal the .357 mag in muzzle energy and have less recoil. What I remember from college physics is for every action there is an equal reaction. Four hundred foot pounds of energy should have the same recoil in the SP101 from the .327 or .357.

What am I missing????

My .357 SP101 shoots just fine and the recoil is very managable.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Link to a recoil calculator. Depends on bullet wt, wt of powder charge, velocity and weight of the firearm. I don't think this calculation is as velocity dependent as the kinetic energy calculation.

I think the 327 would be great in a smaller frame revolver than the SP-101 and as a 5 shot for easier concealment and a weight of 12-15 OZ.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts