Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at these .327 pistols for "lunchmoney" informal range use ...100 yds max, mostly 25 yds.

I'm thinking the longer barrel on the single seven might be somewhat easier to shoot and I could possibly use a weigand single six scope mount and put a little reflex red-dot on it. I'm also familiar with the single action platform enough to be able to give it a "action" job...

But the SP101 looks like it has better stock sights... and I'm not sure I"ll ever do the red dot, anyway...(but my old eyes could probably use the help.)

Anyone have any first hand experience, thoughts?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Generally speaking, a longer barrel doesnt mean better accuracy, but the longer distance between the sights makes it easier to shoot accurately. If both guns were installed in a Ransom Rest, you probably wont see much difference in accuracy. In a shooters hand, the longer barrel should show better results.

I don't have the 4" 327, but I do have the 4" 357, AND the 7.5" Single Seven. I do better with the Single Seven. I can easily put all shots on a 4" target at 25 yards free hand with the Single Seven. The balance of the 7.5" gun is excellent. Its just a touch muzzle heavy, and I like the way that feels.

·
Registered
392 Posts
"(but my old eyes could probably use the help.) "

hey, I have old eyes. I can see the target out to 25yds. and beyond, darned if I can see the sights clearly without reading glasses. I was getting worried about that and looked into several solutions (red dots, lasers, etc.). I decided that if I wanted to be a target shooter I better get a scope and a bench rest. if I wanted to be a defensive shooter, I better train for "point shooting" and forget the sights.
on my 4 5/8" Single Seven, I painted the front sight white, then determined how much white should show when the sights are lined up and painted the part below that red. the white and red combo makes finding the (blurry) front sight a breeze and helps me level and aim the gun as it comes up into my field of view. bang. I'm not shooting 2" circles, just paper plates. shooting them as fast as I can move. great fun, good training for an old guy. when the Single Seven isn't at the range, it's one of my "house guns".
good shooting, have fun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
might increase post responses if in "Pistols & Revolvers" section, or one of the revolvers section.

I was thrown off to find thread here among all the 'bottom feeders' :D

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I have both the SP101 327 with the 4.20" barrel and the Single Seven with the 4 5/8". Both are very accurate IMO but I personally shoot the Single Seven a little better. My wife however prefers the SP101. Either would be a great choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts